Class of 2016 - Andrew White iii... the third | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White iii... the third

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do I know -- but how must the players on the team feel about an "outsider" possibly coming in to take minutes away from people already there? Unless they already know something we don't, you'd have to think this has the potential to create chemistry issues -- especially if the hold up is, as some have suggested, due to some kind of minutes guaranty. Gillon came aboard and is spending valuable time with the team right now that AWIII is missing out on. I just don't see how AWIII can continue to hold off and not have the delay cause chemistry issues.

Summer session 2 at SU ends this Friday. After that the basketball players will head home until Fall semester starts on the 29th. What motivating factor does AW3 have to commit very soon?

This makes little sense. The kid has to be enrolled within a month. We arent going to fill his spot with someone else. Also, the comment that JB being ib Rio is holding this up seems implausible. This is the 21st century. We have cell phones and email. I've enjoyed your info and have been quiet thus far but those two things don't make sense to me.
Actually it does make sense. My read is - the offer is on the table until they get back from Rio. If he's not there, sayonara Mr. White. The Rio thing is just an excuse to buy himself time, imo. So the "we're done recruiting" comment jives too - he'll be here or not, but we're done with the pitch.

So, what's your argument? The premise that a promise that they would start is the only explanation is quite frankly an incredibly poor inference based on what transpired. You conveniently left out other parts of my arguments.

I was going to break this down for you piece by piece (had the paragraphs typed and everything) but it's simple. Fab Melo and Dajuan Coleman had more talent than Baye Keita. That's a fact. Keita had the experience edge on Coleman, was more consistent than both as Freshman, and avoided foul trouble better, but couldn't match either in upside. He wasn't even particularly close. That is why Keita waited on the bench while those two were out there for the opening tip. Either one of them could start a game on fire and get the team some unexpected points. Keita couldn't do that. Fab was 7 feet tall and just all-around big. Keita was not. Coleman was inconsistent but showed scoring flashes Keita could only dream of. Coleman rebounded considerably better. These are all reasons to start them over Keita; all of which have nothing to do with a supposed promise.

Were they the best Centers on the team when they were Freshman? No. But Rick was playing PF and Christmas was just starting the transition from PF. If you think a promise is what got them to play over Keita, then I don't know what to tell you. If that's sincerely your thought process, though, it's odd that you'd question how much I've watched the team play.
I didn't conveniently leave out anything. Your arguments just aren't very good, nor are they based in reality.

Either one could start the game on fire? Never happened. Basically your argument is that JB stubbornly kept starting them just in case they ever blew up and only stopped doing so because they got hurt, so he never realized he was wrong. How is that logical?

I have Occam's razor on my side. There isn't a rational reason for starting those two as freshmen game after game other than it was promised to them. They didn't earn it in practice and they never proved they deserved it. Whenever the game was on the line, someone else was playing center.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.

I didn't conveniently leave out anything. Your arguments just aren't very good, nor are they based in reality.

Either one could start the game on fire? Never happened. Basically your argument is that JB stubbornly kept starting them just in case they ever blew up and only stopped doing so because they got hurt, so he never realized he was wrong. How is that logical?

I have Occam's razor on my side. There isn't a rational reason for starting those two as freshmen game after game other than it was promised to them. They didn't earn it in practice and they never proved they deserved it. Whenever the game was on the line, someone else was playing center.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.
Yes there is. Big guys take longer to develope. They need to play against other bigs to develope. They had the most upside of the bigs on the roster.
No one outplayed them in practice.

Actually it does make sense. My read is - the offer is on the table until they get back from Rio. If he's not there, sayonara Mr. White. The Rio thing is just an excuse to buy himself time, imo. So the "we're done recruiting" comment jives too - he'll be here or not, but we're done with the pitch.

No offense but this isnt rational.

No offense but this isnt rational.
It doesn't imply we're going after someone else. Just means: when the coaches are back they'll work with whoever they have at the time. No more time/room for late comers after that. What is irrational about that? Anyway, just trying to come up with a plausible explanation :) ... Or that the Rio excuse being BS is implausible?

Last edited:
It doesn't imply we're going after someone else. Just means: when the coaches are back they'll work with whoever they have at the time. No more time/room for late comers after that. What is irrational about that? Anyway, just trying to come up with a plausible explanation :) ... Or that the Rio excuse being BS is implausible?

Let me get your theory right, jb comes home on 8/22 and white says i need a week and jb says thanks but offer is off the table? Or a week later white says i want to come and jb says sorry but cant do it. Suuurrrreee thing

Let me get your theory right, jb comes home on 8/22 and white says i need a week and jb says thanks but offer is off the table? Or a week later white says i want to come and jb says sorry but cant do it. Suuurrrreee thing
Well, it's not really "my" theory, but I'll play along. Yes, if he doesn't decide by then and asks for another week, if I'm JB (am i? ;) i say: best of luck elsewhere. And imo he'd be right - that would mean more drama we don't need.

Yes there is. Big guys take longer to develope. They need to play against other bigs to develope. They had the most upside of the bigs on the roster.
No one outplayed them in practice.
They can play the same number of minutes without starting.

Well, it's not really "my" theory, but I'll play along. Yes, if he doesn't decide by then and asks for another week, if I'm JB (am i? ;) i say: best of luck elsewhere. And imo he'd be right - that would mean more drama we don't need.
Who says theres drama beside the board? Please remind me but we started recruiting him how long ago?

I wasnt going to go there but the theory you suggest is flat out dumb. Maybe one of the dumber things I have read on this board. First, If I had more time, i would explain to you something called leverage and why we have very little to none.

Second, class registration ends 9/6. We cant wait an extra week or two. Why?

Last, in case you havent realized, jb wants one more natty. Hes going all out for that his last two years and waiting two weeks is so trivial based on all the bs involved in recruiting that its almost laughable someone would believe or think white signing players before the end of rio is dispositive to anything.

Who says theres drama beside the board? Please remind me but we started recruiting him how long ago?

I wasnt going to go there but the theory you suggest is flat out dumb. Maybe one of the dumber things I have read on this board. First, If I had more time, i would explain to you something called leverage and why we have very little to none.

Last, in case you havent realized, jb wants one more natty. Hes going all out for that his last two years and waiting two weeks is so trivial based on all the bs involved in recruiting that its almost laughable someone would believe or think white signing players before the end of rio is dispositive to anything.
Ok. Methinks you're taking my "devil's advocate" type comments a little too close to heart. Sorry for being so dumb.

EDIT: and as for leverage: we have as much, if not more, on him than he has on us. But please do explain the concept for the dumb ones (like me)

Last edited:

And on another - related topic. Why do we have to attack each other when discussing topics we're all interested in? What's the point of calling people dumb or stupid? Do "we" really believe we're smarter than everyone else?

And on another - related topic. Why do we have to attack each other when discussing topics we're all interested in? What's the point of calling people dumb or stupid? Do "we" really believe we're smarter than everyone else?

I called the theory dumb not you to clarify.

Whats our leverage?

Ummmmmmm. WE ARE THE BEST OPTION HE HAS? Sorry for shouting but you asked for it ;))) ... just playing along ;)))

Please bold it next time for extra effect.

My opinion is that it really doesnt carry much weight when hes our only option. Also, there is some homerism in that opinion.

Not shooting the messenger in any way, shape, or form.

I guess I have difficulty believing that JB wouldn't be more on top of this. I get that right now he's focused on USA Basketball, but he's only got two years left before his announced retirement date. Two more seasons, two more teams, and then that's it. Nothing is a guarantee, but adding White would go a long way toward strengthening the 2017 team and enhancing the team's prospects toward making another run--which is ultimately the goal. Why wouldn't he and the staff be doing everything to secure this kid? With the sand trickling out on the hourglass of a HOF career, you'd think that Boeheim would be pulling out all the stops to have an opportunity to get back to the final four.

Again, not doubting you--I just find it hard to believe that JB would disappear and leave such an important issue unresolved / dangling in the breeze.
RF - are you now switching sides? It seems you are suggesting JB should accommodate AW3 and let him play the 2.

No, JB should not be pulling out all the stops. He should stay pat, SU still has the best offer for AW3 even if that current offer is for AW3 to play the 3.

JB doesn't have any unresolved issues. It seems he has told AW3 the role he could have here. It's in AW3's court. When JB says he is not recruiting any more, it means he has his cards on the table, he has no more to add. It's a take it or leave it to AW3 for minutes at the 3. It's the way it should be.

Please bold it next time for extra effect.

My opinion is that it really doesnt carry much weight when hes our only option. Also, there is some homerism in that opinion.
He is the only option indeed. But who said we're desperate? That's where we disagree. You seem to think we are (purely judging by your comments) but I don't. So what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom