Annual Army Game | Syracusefan.com

Annual Army Game

sabach

All American
After today, I wonder why we don't play Army more if not annually. SU has a long standing commitment to the military and has the center right on campus. Two New York State FBS schools who respect each other on and off the field. It can be like the Navy/ Notre Dame yearly game.

I wondered the same thing

I think it said first game was 1889 or 1899 and this was only the 22nd meeting, first since 1996.

Cuse up 12-10

Army last win at Cuse was 1986

Amazed we didn't have another 30 games against them

After today, I wonder why we don't play Army more if not annually. SU has a long standing commitment to the military and has the center right on campus. Two New York State FBS schools who respect each other on and off the field. It can be like the Navy/ Notre Dame yearly game.
Play style potentially. Dino talked about how much ADs hate Army’s play style.

Agree

Play style potentially. Dino talked about how much ADs hate Army’s play style.
He said many programs refuse to play them - that Army not only wants to beat you physically but mentally down during a game. They are tough and never give up regardless of the score nor stage of the game. I think some people were mentioning on the message board during the long punishing first half, that our 1st team defense wasn’t on the field during a number of plays. Might be part of the reason our defense was able to come out after halftime and stop them.

Hell yeah! I would play these guys as many as times as "the actuaries that figure this out say we can! " Army punched us in the mouth for a Qtr... they led at half! F' WMU, F' wagner!...and the other BS games we play. Give me West Point, give me Navy, And give me air force!' GIve me a game against these "Studs"! These kids are F' warriors...we're going to win 9x outta 10 and that's all our "actuaries " care about...but let's play this caliber of kids as often as we can

Sabach
, you are so right! It's a friggin 1:45 bus ride from NYC! How much more fun does it than that? It's a game su should win but it's competitive...you can drink all day and then take a train/bus home faaaack! Damn

Took my eight year old to the game today. Ran into a number of cadets after the game. Got a chance to thank them for their service and get a picture with my son. Told him that these are the real heroes. I think an SU/Army rivalry would be great. Mitchie Stadium is beautiful in the fall and it's an easy day trip and back road game.
FB_IMG_1695510999290.jpg

That was one of the least enjoyable football victories that I’ve watched.

Like a hoops game against a mid major who holds the ball for 30 seconds every possession, and fouls on every play on defense level boring and annoying.

I respect them doing something different and doing whatever they can to try to find an advantage and win, but it doesn’t seem like there’s a ton to gain for Cuse.

I’d rather play Buffalo. Shrug.

Took my eight year old to the game today. Ran into a number of cadets after the game. Got a chance to thank them for their service and get a picture with my son. Told him that these are the real heroes. I think an SU/Army rivalry would be great. Mitchie Stadium is beautiful in the fall and it's an easy day trip and back road game.View attachment 231545
as a Syracuse alumnus and former Army Officer I would love to see this be an annual game. I bleed Orange, but you have to respect the cadets.

Syracuse played Army in a football game in 1926 that was pretty famous. Sportswriters called it the ‘Blood on the Plains‘ game.

It was apparently a really physical game with a lot of big hits. Unfortunately a bunch of players on both teams suffered serious injuries. There were issues with the refs. It was a big deal at the time and the uproar was so bad both sides agreed to stop playing for an indefinite period. I think no games were played after that for about 30 years.

Was expecting the PS to write an article on that game from their archives but I don’t think any of their writers know much about football history. Maybe they will pick it up for the game next season.

I could be wrong on this. Remember reading about it in one of the many books on Syracuse football history. Not motivated enough to find them in a box in the basement to see if I am remembering things right. Tried to google it and came up with nothing..

Syracuse played Army in a football game in 1926 that was pretty famous. Sportswriters called it the ‘Blood on the Plains‘ game.

It was apparently a really physical game with a lot of big hits. Unfortunately a bunch of players on both teams suffered serious injuries. There were issues with the refs. It was a big deal at the time and the uproar was so bad both sides agreed to stop playing for an indefinite period. I think no games were played after that for about 30 years.

Was expecting the PS to write an article on that game from their archives but I don’t think any of their writers know much about football history. Maybe they will pick it up for the game next season.

I could be wrong on this. Remember reading about it in one of the many books on Syracuse football history. Not motivated enough to find them in a box in the basement to see if I am remembering things right. Tried to google it and came up with nothing..

There was a game in the nineties I believe, where Army was, shall we say, chippy.

I listened to the Shutdown Fullcast this week and Spencer Hall perfectly described how I felt going into this game in saying “I hope Syracuse enjoys their 5 possessions on Saturday and makes the most of them.” I respect the way Army has to operate but that’s the last team we need to play all the time. I’d rather see UB back on the schedule or the directional MAC schools/UMass/UConn.

There were a lot of penalties that didn’t get called. Surprised it didn’t get more chippy today.
I hadn't realized the change in rules on cut blocks. That probably reduced a big source of friction.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom