Annual SU/Uconn in MSG | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Annual SU/Uconn in MSG

The hatred for a team is exactly why we should play them.
Tradition demands we pound G-town...the arch-rival...every year. It's the essence of college sports.
It's a loathing born of passion that fueled the rise of the Syracuse program to a national power out of the Big East.
Without tradition, we're just a random group of players playing random teams without any sense of who we are and where we came from.

UConn has become a new rival. And regardless of whether we like it, they are the most successful team in America since 1999.
With all the great games in the past and their current stature...we should find a way to play them every year, as well.
Tradition demands it.
The desire to prove supremacy requires it.

Both should be scheduled every year...even as we battle new teams in the ACC.

(I'd like SJU & Nova, too.
But there's no hate...not even profound detestation.
So let's focus on the essentials).

There is no reason to ever go to Connecticut, and to play a neutral court game against a school from a mid major conference doesn't make sense.

At least The Garden and Verizon keeps the donor base happy.

I get the sense some SU fans push the Georgetown rivalry hard because they don't want to admit that UCONN has achieved rival status.

I have a question for you SD. Since Cuse isn't particularly interested in keeping Yukon as a rival, I'm curious who you think your team would consider as their next closest rival (either in conference or out of conference). I really couldn't guess one.

I have a question for you SD. Since Cuse isn't particularly interested in keeping Yukon as a rival, I'm curious who you think your team would consider as their next closest rival (either in conference or out of conference). I really couldn't guess one.

Well in conference, I'd say SMU this year. They probably will be better than UCONN or SU this year and Larry Brown is one of the few guys I think is better than JB or Ollie.

Ongoing, in the AAC Memphis will probably be our rival if we don't get to the B1G. Mi State would be our biggest rival there (Ollie is 3-0 vs. Izzo).

I think most UCONN fans consider Duke or KY our biggest ongoing rival because of the importance of the games we've played against them and the fact they are also 4+ NC winners. They are probably the programs we measure ourselves against going forward.

Well in conference, I'd say SMU this year. They probably will be better than UCONN or SU this year and Larry Brown is one of the few guys I think is better than JB or Ollie.

Ongoing, in the AAC Memphis will probably be our rival if we don't get to the B1G. Mi State would be our biggest rival there (Ollie is 3-0 vs. Izzo).

I think most UCONN fans consider Duke or KY our biggest ongoing rival because of the importance of the games we've played against them and the fact they are also 4+ NC winners. They are probably the programs we measure ourselves against going forward.

Do they have internet sites so you can tell them that?

Let's also rephrase that question and ask what schools consider Yukon to be their biggest rivals. I could see Memphis if both schools are in the AAC and Pastner and Ollie develop a long term rivalry. No way MSU (Michigan), Duke (UNC) or Kentucky (Louisville) would be on that list. SMU is just laugh out loud funny to even comment on. I actually think your best bet is to develop a hated rivalry with Providence.

Do they have internet sites so you can tell them that?

They have empty spots in their trophy cases to help them remember us. 4 empty spots altogether from 4 FF losses to UCONN.

Let's also rephrase that question and ask what schools consider Yukon to be their biggest rivals. I could see Memphis if both schools are in the AAC and Pastner and Ollie develop a long term rivalry. No way MSU (Michigan), Duke (UNC) or Kentucky (Louisville) would be on that list. SMU is just laugh out loud funny to even comment on. I actually think your best bet is to develop a hated rivalry with Providence.

SMU will be a top 10 team this year IMHO.

I think you underestimate how highly the elite programs consider NC's. They tend to value them a great deal and use that as the ultimate measuring stick.

SMU will be a top 10 team this year IMHO.

I think you underestimate how highly the elite programs consider NC's. They tend to value them a great deal and use that as the ultimate measuring stick.
Stop trying to make SMU happen, it's not going to happen.

sdhusky said:

First you didn't know the definition of brand, now you don't know the definition of rival.

The Hoyas are our rivals, & it's mutual. We are UConn's rival & now more than ever they need us to maintain that rivalry status.
What I've always loved about our program and winning legacy is that at one time or another, we were everyone's biggest rival. SJU, Nova, Gtown, and Uconn have all looked to our games as the big one.
That being said, it's too much fun watching the mutts squirm as they face the new reality in the AAC. I say LET EM ROT- we have enough rivals.

Last edited:
I'd rotate St. Johns and UConn in the Garden. Play St.J in 2014/16 and UConn in 2015/17. Keep Nova and GT every year.

Not a

In basketball they were, but came into the football league late they played div 2 until they decided to upgrade many years after the football portion of the league was formed.

I thought Uconns football was always division 2 ;)

I have been very disappointed to the point of being annoyed with the holier-than-thou attitude the fan base has begun to take on. The bottomline is that Georgetown (80's-) and Uconn (90's-) helped define Syracuse basketball and these games should continue is some shape or form until it no longer makes sense to do so (no longer competitive think Colgate and Cornell or a whole new division is created along football lines).

Ideally we should have Uconn or Georgetown at home on a rotating basis. I think St. Johns should be the annual MSG game (no need to come to the Dome) and Nova should remain on the schedule as well H/A. We have the best of the old Big East and ACC especially in years where we are not getting Duke and UNC multiple times.

Do we NEED any of these opponents? Probably not but a lot of people need to get over themselves and start enjoying college basketball a bit more. The regular season needs to be fun and filled with watchable opponents. As a long time season ticket holder I get bored with the same old crap non-conference schedule and really enjoyed St. Johns, Nova, Indiana, UNC, Duke, etc last year and it is something I want to see continue.

. What do we gain by playing them? Nothing.

Worst fans in the country and a massively false sense of importance. Let them rot.

PS. Shows how stupid their fans are when they talk about Duke/Kentucky as their rivals. That's laugh out loud funny.

snowycuse said:
I have been very disappointed to the point of being annoyed with the holier-than-thou attitude the fan base has begun to take on. The bottomline is that Georgetown (80's-) and Uconn (90's-) helped define Syracuse basketball and these games should continue is some shape or form until it no longer makes sense to do so (no longer competitive think Colgate and Cornell or a whole new division is created along football lines). Ideally we should have Uconn or Georgetown at home on a rotating basis. I think St. Johns should be the annual MSG game (no need to come to the Dome) and Nova should remain on the schedule as well H/A. We have the best of the old Big East and ACC especially in years where we are not getting Duke and UNC multiple times. Do we NEED any of these opponents? Probably not but a lot of people need to get over themselves and start enjoying college basketball a bit more. The regular season needs to be fun and filled with watchable opponents. As a long time season ticket holder I get bored with the same old crap non-conference schedule and really enjoyed St. Johns, Nova, Indiana, UNC, Duke, etc last year and it is something I want to see continue.

It's not holier than thou to say that playing UConn, does nothing for our program. Others like Gtown, nova and SJU are recruiting areas and/or areas with strong SU fan bases. Storrs has neither. We don't need them for SOS either since we have the ACC along with the aforementioned OOC teams and various challenges and preseason tournaments.

It's not holier than thou to say that playing UConn, does nothing for our program. Others like Gtown, nova and SJU are recruiting areas and/or areas with strong SU fan bases. Storrs has neither. We don't need them for SOS either since we have the ACC along with the aforementioned OOC teams and various challenges and preseason tournaments.

Nonsense.

The world is connected through any number of gadgets these days and our physical presence, while still important, in recruiting areas is overstated. It is just as important, if not more so, to be talked about nationally...to be trending...to be hip.

Rivalry games with Georgetown and Uconn help us remain true to our core base and provide nationally relevant games. A contest with bitter rival and defending National Champion Uconn is something recruits, nationally, will be watching far more than our trip to Villanova this year. Signing the deal with Georgetown gave us a day or two of national press that we would not achieve in any number of ACC games next year because people outside our bubble that think of Cuse basketball recognize that rivalry. Our we recruiting anyone in Storrs? Hell no. Will we lose a recruit over a game with Uconn? Hell no.

To say a game with Uconn does nothing for our program is to say that games with Kentucky, Kansas, Texas, Florida, Indiana, etc would do nothing and that is silly talk.

While I certainly wouldn't mind playing UConn occasionally, put me in the camp of those saying we should play Georgetown, Nova, and St. John's more often.

Let's face it. The ACC slate with Duke, Louisville, UNC, Pitt, a resurgent UVa under Bennett, and ND plus an upper echelon BiG team every year is tough enough.

I certainly don't feel as though playing UConn has no value. Playing and beating a 4-time NC is never without value.

Cheers,
Neil

There is no benefit to SU from playing UConn in MSG. It creates a showcase for a team playing in a mid major conference. We already have multiple showcase games. I would much prefer SU play UK or Kansas in MSG...that would do something for us.

There is no benefit to SU from playing UConn in MSG. It creates a showcase for a team playing in a mid major conference. We already have multiple showcase games. I would much prefer SU play UK or Kansas in MSG...that would do something for us.

So you are against playing St. John's, Nova, or Georgetown there for the same reason (should the latter two ever come about at MSG)? They too play in a mid-major conference.

Cheers,
Neil

I guess zero lessons were learned about uconn.

They aren't going to "rot" whether we pay the or nOt. I'm done declaring their demise. I've been doing it for ten years. It's Dan pipe dream.

And they're a much bigger rival than Georgetown. 1989 called. It wants you to go home.

So you are against playing St. John's, Nova, or Georgetown there for the same reason (should the latter two ever come about at MSG)? They too play in a mid-major conference.

Cheers,
Neil
No because they add value because they in SU's prime recruiting territory of NYC, Philly, and DC. Playing them and maintaing a presence in those areas is valuable. Since CT is not a recruiting ground, UConn is a different situation.

I guess zero lessons were learned about uconn.

They aren't going to "rot" whether we pay the or nOt. I'm done declaring their demise. I've been doing it for ten years. It's Dan pipe dream.

And they're a much bigger rival than Georgetown. 1989 called. It wants you to go home.

Just signed a contract to play TX.

So, we have Stanford, Duke, TX, Florida next year OOC.

We had the #1 recruit in America on campus last weekend.

In the last 6 years, UCONN has been to half the FF and won a third of the NC.

No because they add value because they in SU's prime recruiting territory of NYC, Philly, and DC. Playing them and maintaing a presence in those areas is valuable. Since CT is not a recruiting ground, UConn is a different situation.

UCONN and SU are national recruiting powers.

Our top guys this year are from LA, Florida and North Carolina.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom