Annual SU/Uconn in MSG | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Annual SU/Uconn in MSG

The uconn fan is the one making the most sense in this thread.

No because they add value because they in SU's prime recruiting territory of NYC, Philly, and DC. Playing them and maintaing a presence in those areas is valuable. Since CT is not a recruiting ground, UConn is a different situation.

I think you misunderstood. I was responding to your point about not even playing UConn at MSG. Last I looked, MSG was located in NYC, so it gets us exposure there, if one still considers that even relevant. I do, but I also understand the position of those who do not.

So, I ask again, do you have the "playing a mid major conference team" objection to us playing St. John's at MSG, or setting up a 1-1-1 series with either Nova or Georgetown where one of the three games are played at MSG?

Cheers,
Neil

Many reasons why I have no attachment to playing Uconn. Really I do not care about Gtown much either, but they at least give us exposure in the Wash/Balt area.

Uconn is not a long time rival, they were late comers to the league, and parlayed that to some considerable success. They have always been a poor fan base and in my opinion can rot before I would want them on the schedule for a series. Before entering the Big East we played them occasionally, but they were small time and never considered a rival. You thinking of them as a rival shows you have not followed SU for very long.

St.johns provides us with MSG/NYC exposure.

UConn basketball = Virginia Tech football

Reputations built by taking the food from our mouths

I guess zero lessons were learned about uconn.

They aren't going to "rot" whether we pay the or nOt. I'm done declaring their demise. I've been doing it for ten years. It's Dan pipe dream.

And they're a much bigger rival than Georgetown. 1989 called. It wants you to go home.

Other that your last line bit, I'm with you 1000%. I'm old school so the Georgetown rivalry still means more to me. I think the UConn/Pitt rivalry has been better overall than our rivalry with them, but ours has been great as well.

Cheers,
Neil

I doubt it will happen. UCONN would be ok with it but JB doesn't exactly have a reputation for scheduling tough early in the season.

We play an exempt tournament every year and usually win them.

Beyond that, the basketball team needs to make money for the athletic dept. We're not a state school that can soak the taxpayers. We have to play home games to finance the program.

I have a question for you SD. Since Cuse isn't particularly interested in keeping Yukon as a rival, I'm curious who you think your team would consider as their next closest rival (either in conference or out of conference). I really couldn't guess one.

UConn's rival used to be Pitt. They met in the BET a bunch of times in the 90s.

Let's also rephrase that question and ask what schools consider Yukon to be their biggest rivals. I could see Memphis if both schools are in the AAC and Pastner and Ollie develop a long term rivalry. No way MSU (Michigan), Duke (UNC) or Kentucky (Louisville) would be on that list. SMU is just laugh out loud funny to even comment on. I actually think your best bet is to develop a hated rivalry with Providence.

or BC or UMass. Next time UConn asks us why we don't want to play them, we should ask why Calhoun didn't want to play UMass or the whole university doesn't want to play BC.

So you are against playing St. John's, Nova, or Georgetown there for the same reason (should the latter two ever come about at MSG)? They too play in a mid-major conference.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil - I think the fact of the matter is that none of Georgetown, St. John's or Villanova is ever likely to be elite again.

UConn under Ollie just pulled the second rabbitt out of their hat in the past 4 or 5 years. I read over on their board about him winning "several more" titles before he moves on to the NBA.

It's that attitude that rubs a lot of us the wrong way. Most of us would like to see UConn wither and die.

UConn basketball = Virginia Tech football

Reputations built by taking the food from our mouths

Agreed. But many of us still complained when we wound up in the Atlantic Division instead of the Coastal because we wanted to renew the rivalries with both Miami and VT.

However they got there in basketball (and I'd say their reputation was built playing not just us, but Georgetown, St. John's, and Nova as well), does it truly matter? They now have 4 NCs and no one is thinking that they got them because they played SU.

Cheers,
Neil

IthacaMatt said:
We play an exempt tournament every year and usually win them. Beyond that, the basketball team needs to make money for the athletic dept. We're not a state school that can soak the taxpayers. We have to play home games to finance the program.

Also, we have other tough OOC games and with the ACC we have plenty of tough conference games. I can see a team having to play in the AAC trying to schedule tougher OOC teams because they need to. People clambering we need to play UConn are just silly and too young to even know Georgetown is our biggest rival...hands down.

Neil - I think the fact of the matter is that none of Georgetown, St. John's or Villanova is ever likely to be elite again.

UConn under Ollie just pulled the second rabbitt out of their hat in the past 4 or 5 years. I read over on their board about him winning "several more" titles before he moves on to the NBA.

It's that attitude that rubs a lot of us the wrong way. Most of us would like to see UConn wither and die.

Exactly. These programs will be good (NCAA Final Four good from time to time) but unlikely NC contenders. And therefore not wanting to play UConn because it will take an already tough schedule and make it insane is an acceptable reason NOT to play them annually, as the OP was stating.

What their fans think is meaningless to me on this topic. Fans will think what fans will think.

Cheers,
Neil

APeople clambering we need to play UConn are just silly and too young to even know Georgetown is our biggest rival...hands down.

Is Colgate still your biggest FB rival?

or BC or UMass. Next time UConn asks us why we don't want to play them, we should ask why Calhoun didn't want to play UMass or the whole university doesn't want to play BC.

UCONN doesn't need SU on the schedule.

Duke, Florida, TX and Stanford for next year indicates that we can schedule better programs and equivalent programs.

And we don't need it for recruiting.

It just would be fun for me as a fan. That's all - a very enjoyable 40 minutes & a year of bragging rights.

Just fun.

Also, we have other tough OOC games and with the ACC we have plenty of tough conference games. I can see a team having to play in the AAC trying to schedule tougher OOC teams because they need to. People clambering we need to play UConn are just silly and too young to even know Georgetown is our biggest rival...hands down.

You sound like Boeheim when he says St. Johns is still important. Get Uconn at MSG and attendance, ratings, exposure would all be far greater than a game with St. Johns. FACT.

It is common knowledge that Georgetown and Uconn split the bill as biggest Cuse rival. The same factors...attendance, ratings, exposure can be used and it would be neck and neck for the last twenty years. 80's are over bud.

I think you misunderstood. I was responding to your point about not even playing UConn at MSG. Last I looked, MSG was located in NYC, so it gets us exposure there, if one still considers that even relevant. I do, but I also understand the position of those who do not.

So, I ask again, do you have the "playing a mid major conference team" objection to us playing St. John's at MSG, or setting up a 1-1-1 series with either Nova or Georgetown where one of the three games are played at MSG?

Cheers,
Neil
I answered your question but I'll try again. It is good to play STJ at MSG for the presence in NYC, a recruiting ground. There is value to playing Nova and Gtown for maintaining a presence in those hotbed recruiting areas. It's more beneficial if those series are alternating home/home games. There is less value to 1-1-1 than a straight home/home but if those schools require that it's worth doing to get the series. The GT series is home/home without MSG. Nova is 1-1-1. SU already has MSG presence without UConn. Despite what they accomplished in the NCAAT, there are schools other than UConn... like bluebloods UK or Kansas... with bigger images that would offer more benefit IMO if we wanted another game in MSG.

It just would be fun for me as a fan. That's all - a very enjoyable 40 minutes & a year of bragging rights.

Just fun.

Just fun.[/quote]

This I agree with. I don't know why but Syracuse fans obsess more than any other about exposure and BRAND and I think we miss the forest for the trees.

I answered your question but I'll try again. It is good to play STJ at MSG for the presence in NYC, a recruiting ground. There is value to playing Nova and Gtown for maintaining a presence in those hotbed recruiting areas. It's more beneficial if those series are alternating home/home games. There is less value to 1-1-1 than a straight home/home but if those schools require that it's worth doing to get the series. The GT series is home/home without MSG. Nova is 1-1-1. SU already has MSG presence without UConn. Despite what they accomplished in the NCAAT, there are schools other than UConn... like bluebloods UK or Kansas... with bigger images that would offer more benefit IMO if we wanted another game in MSG.

Were supposed to be NEW YORK'S COLLEGE TEAM (tm) but if we don't play a mediocre mid major at Madison Square Garden people will forget about us.

Ok.

Playing UConn at MSG annually, which is what you were initially responding to, is no different than playing St. John's at MSG in terms of the benefits you are talking about.

Your response seems more of variety than any real thought being put behind it.

Cheers,
Neil

Were supposed to be NEW YORK'S COLLEGE TEAM (tm) but if we don't play a mediocre mid major at Madison Square Garden people will forget about us.

Ok.
Don't know what you're talking about dude. I didn't say anything remotely like that.

Ok.

Amazing, isn't it? Now if one wants to say playing UConn at MSG makes the schedule tougher than it needs to be which is why I prefer St. John's, that I can at least understand.

But that is my main objection to playing them annually at MSG, so of course I can understand it. I'd still want to see it from time to time though.

Cheers,
Neil

Playing UConn at MSG annually, which is what you were initially responding to, is no different than playing St. John's at MSG in terms of the benefits you are talking about.

Your response seems more of variety than any real thought being put behind it.

Cheers,
Neil
We already have games at MSG with STJ. We don't need UConn. There are bigger image schools to play if we want another game at MSG. It's just as viable an opinion as yours. We have a difference of opinion on it. I'm not going to trade insults.

Don't know what you're talking about dude. I didn't say anything remotely like that.

You said that playing St Johns was important because of the exposure in New York City and for recruiting.

And anyway even if I bought into that premise we can play UCONN in MSG and it would generate a lot more excitement locally and on the national stage...rather than play a team that hasn't been on the national radar since 1985.

We already have games at MSG with STJ. We don't need UConn. There are bigger image schools to play if we want another game at MSG. It's just as viable an opinion as yours. We have a difference of opinion on it. I'm not going to trade insults.

It really isn't about "needing" to play anyone for me. I'd rather just watch great games. The red storm doesn't move the needle for me at all.

We are in the league now with half of those "bigger image schools". The only bigger image basketball schools out there now are Kentucky and KU. How often do you think we are going to get them on the schedule?

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom