Another 10-Loss Season... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Another 10-Loss Season...

Freshman usually improve when they don’t come in as good as battle and brisset did. They were closer to their ceiling as freshman than most.
LOL
Brissett’s numbers could have easily gotten better from last year he shot 35% from 2 and 33% from 3.
His numbers were overinflated because he played 38 MPG.

Brissett has regressed that is terrible player development.

Marek Dolezaj has become more efficient from last year but he isn’t getting enough minutes this year.

The fact the staff can’t even develop Carey into a rotation is terrible development.

My god Jim Boeheim himself hyped this team up during media days.
Nobody expected to struggle as much as we have. We were preseason 4 in the ACC polls. Plenty of national media members had us as a Final Four favorite/pick.
But yeah your right people shouldn’t be shocked we are 18-10 and medicore again.

It’s probably close.
2016 is better than this team.
Lydon vs. Chukwu is the game set match.
Plus Gbinije was second team all-ACC that year Tyus Battle isn’t a second team all-ACC player this year and I like him.

Gbinije/Richardson > Battle/Howard

Freshman usually improve when they don’t come in as good as battle and brisset did. They were closer to their ceiling as freshman than most.
That is some bizarre pretzel logic. I usually like your posts. But I don’t think you’re winning this argument with most of the people on here. Most CBB analysts had us as a top 25 team, if not top 15, many as a sleeper Final four pick. The season has been a bit disappointing—and that’s fine. but we still have time to fix some of these issues. I mean, the main problem has been Frank’s regression as a facilitator and ability to attack the basket, two things he was pretty good at last season.

Yes, on paper we should have lost these last two. And we had chances to win both. I think it could bode well for the rest of the year, given we take care of business with Wake/Clemson/1st Round of ACC’s.

All that being said, Syracuse has double-digit losses for the 5th straight year. The longest streak in SU basketball history.

Disappointing. Thought this year could have been different with a 4-5 seed in the NCAA tournament.
Technically true, but teams play more games than ever these days, and many more games than in the not too distant past. This is far from the school's worst five-year stretch in terms of winning percentage.

We should and better finish at worst 20-11 + 11-7 in the ACC and definitely should take a game or two in the ACCT
When we had tyus playing the point out offense wa5 much more efficient and effective and he has done that some in the last couple games and went back to FH playing the point in those games most of the time and I don't understand why. I heard or read somewhere boehiem even saying he was gonna put Howard off the ball so what gives. With Howard at the point its painful to watch sometimes lately I can't watch a whole game

still wondering why everyone thought it would be so different this year. Last years team was not v good and it’s basically the same team
Guys getting better adding Hughes other teams losing guys. This team is a major disappointment.

LOL
Brissett’s numbers could have easily gotten better from last year he shot 35% from 2 and 33% from 3.
His numbers were overinflated because he played 38 MPG.

Brissett has regressed that is terrible player development.

Marek Dolezaj has become more efficient from last year but he isn’t getting enough minutes this year.

The fact the staff can’t even develop Carey into a rotation is terrible development.

My god Jim Boeheim himself hyped this team up during media days.
Nobody expected to struggle as much as we have. We were preseason 4 in the ACC polls. Plenty of national media members had us as a Final Four favorite/pick.
But yeah your right people shouldn’t be shocked we are 18-10 and medicore again.

Can you tell us your plan for player development Coach? What would you have done to make Brissett better?

What about Carey? How would you have developed a kid in just a couple months?

Sounds like you’re cool with Dolejaz and his development, so the staff is not completely asleep at the wheel?

Are you ever not criticizing the staff?

Meh. I still don't think losing 10 games in a regular season constitutes a good year. Just two of the Top 25 teams (AP & Coaches) have more than 7 losses right now -- Louisville (10), Wisconsin (8). I also don't think your standard is necessarily accurate.

Elite Eights & Final Fours mean you had a great run and the right matchups but at some point in time I'd like to see the team get back to contending for national titles every once in awhile. Or at least have a chance to.

Just 3 NCAA champions have been seeded higher than a 3 in a regional. #4 Arizona in 1997, #6 Kansas (Manning) in 1988 & #8 Villanova in 1985. If you're a Top 3 seed in a region, you usually have a realistic shot at a national title.

Syracuse has earned a 3 seed or higher 14 times in Boeheim's 42 years as head coach. That means once every three years there should be legitimate hopes of competing against the top teams.

26 times Syracuse has earned a Top 5 seed or greater, meaning -- at least, theoretically -- they are ranked in the Top 20 at the time of the NCAA Tournament. Or once every 1.6 years during Boeheim's tenure the team has been ranked.

We haven't sniffed either of those levels the last 5 years.
Let’s see what the polls look like at the end of the season. I expect there to be a number of teams with double digit losses. There were eight such teams in the final coaches poll last year.

Doesn’t making the Final Four put you in contention for a title?

Let’s see what the polls look like at the end of the season. I expect there to be a number of teams with double digit losses. There were eight such teams in the final coaches poll last year.

Doesn’t making the Final Four put you in contention for a title?

You can make the Final Four without having a realistic chance at a title. It puts you close, but how many of you really believed we had a shot against UNC in 2016?

There's a chance (which all 68 teams have) and then there's a realistic one. Even advancing to the Final Four, in my opinion at least, doesn't give you a realistic chance. I thought we had a better chance to win the title in 2012 even without Fab Melo and that team didn't make a Final Four.

Last edited:
You can make the Final Four without having a realistic chance at a title. It puts you close, but how many of you really believed we had a shot against UNC in 2016?

There's a chance (which all 68 teams have) and then there's a realistic one. Even advancing to the Final Four, in my opinion at least, doesn't give you a realistic chance. I thought we had a better chance to win the title in 2012 even without Fab Melo and that team didn't make a Final Four.
You can do the same thing with #3 seeds and say not all of them have a realistic chance at a title.

Can you tell us your plan for player development Coach? What would you have done to make Brissett better?

Sounds like you’re cool with Dolejaz and his development, so the staff is not completely asleep at the wheel?

LOL.
You aren’t worth the energy when it won’t matter what I will say the staff is never wrong in your world. You aren’t worth it but it’s good to know my opinions bother you so much.

The players don’t deserve criticism unless they break the law. They don’t get paid. The coaches get paid a lot of money they are fair game especially for criticism sorry you can’t understand that.

Jim Boeheim in the preseason said this was a really good team there is no chance he would have expected the medicore season we have had. I guess listening to him he would tell you we have underachieved in the regular season but you still defend it.

Last edited:
No it isn't. I keep hearing that and it is not true. It's, at times, turned into the same team and that's part of the problem.

1. Tyus came back. Anytime your best player comes back, that's significant.
2. Hughes was added. Needed another scorer. Got another scorer.
3. Lacked PG depth last year badly. Well, we got Jalen Carey, a guy highly touted who supposedly was going to push Frank for minutes.
4. A shooter in Buddy. He has absolutely out performed most people's expectations.

This is not last year's team. Not to mention, every returning player another year into the program. It should be much better, and at times, it has been.

Buddy has exceeded expectations ? He’s averaging 5.8 ppg and shooting 35.7% from 3... what did people expect him to do ? Guy was brought here to be a dead eye shooter and I think he’s right about where most people would expect for such a player in his 1st year

Buddy has exceeded expectations ? He’s averaging 5.8 ppg and shooting 35.7% from 3... what did people expect him to do ? Guy was brought here to be a dead eye shooter and I think he’s right about where most people would expect for such a player in his 1st year

Most people expected him to be the 9th man, and 4th guard. And the projections people had we’re likely on the expectation the team was competing for a top 16 seed, meaning there would be many games where Buddy got some run because we built a sizeable lead. So yeah... I think he’s exceeded expectations.

IMO, he has exceeded expectations. Battle and Howard figured to eat up most of the guard minutes going in, with the rest going to Carey who seemed capable of backing up both positions. Obviously it hasn't played out that way, and while Buddy's numbers seem ordinary on the surface, he has been a potent and very efficient scorer in ACC play after a very slow start in the nonconference. Without his contributions, this team might be looking at one or two fewer wins in the league.

Last edited:
Agree. But how can you say Hughes hasn’t helped?? He’s the second highest and second most reliable scorer on the team and shoots the second best percentage from 3. Until the UNC game, he had been in a bit of a shooting slump, but not unheard of for a shooter. That’s a bizarre observation.

Yeah not a fair point on my part, this is why my wife and daughters think I am a dope. At least the latest example

You're a young townie! We shall continue to mold you, young grasshopper. May the orange force, be strong.

1. Tyus is the EXACT same player he was. He had higher day 1 abilities and lower ceiling to get too.

2. Carey was a nice add for depth but doesn’t play. How many minutes were ever going to be available for him realistically? Battle and Howard were 40 mpg guys last year and you had Buddy.

3. Hughes and Buddy are nice additions but they aren’t going to improve your team all that much individually. Both can be neutralized.

You are still nearly wholly reliant on battle, Howard, brissett, chewy and Marek. And that team was not good. This team is marginally better.

Where to start...

Half the board didn’t think Buddy was any better than a walk on coming into this year.

Yeah, I'll sheepishly admit to being more or less in this group. I thought Buddy was a poor man's Andy Rautins, with skills somewhere between Bjorn and Brandon Reese, and totally unlikely to contribute until his junior year.

Then he put on a great show in the first or second exhibition and changed my tune. Though I still think his current lack of quickness makes him a defensive liability.

LOL.
You aren’t worth the energy when it won’t matter what I will say the staff is never wrong in your world. You aren’t worth it but it’s good to know my opinions bother you so much.

The players don’t deserve criticism unless they break the law. They don’t get paid. The coaches get paid a lot of money they are fair game especially for criticism sorry you can’t understand that.

Jim Boeheim in the preseason said this was a really good team there is no chance he would have expected the medicore season we have had. I guess listening to him he would tell you we have underachieved in the regular season but you still defend it.

Thank you. You have no answers and you have no idea what the staff should do to make anyone better because you have no idea what they do any
way. Just because the players don’t get paid doesn’t mean they’re not responsible for getting themselves better. that’s just a stupid take. Players are absolutely responsible for making themselves better in addition to the coaching they receive every day and practice . If players don’t eat right is that the coaches fault? Some of the crap you come up with is ridiculous. You constantly blame the coaches for everything and it’s absurd . If you’re not complaining about the offense and blaming the staff for that you’re complaining about player development. if it’s not player development you’re complaining about roster management. Are you ever not complaining?

by the way didn’t Boeheim say this was the same team as last year that struggled through the regular season?

Thank you. You have no answers and you have no idea what the staff should do to make anyone better because you have no idea what they do any
way. Just because the players don’t get paid doesn’t mean they’re not responsible for getting themselves better. that’s just a stupid take. Players are absolutely responsible for making themselves better in addition to the coaching they receive every day and practice . If players don’t eat right is that the coaches fault? Some of the crap you come up with is ridiculous. You constantly blame the coaches for everything and it’s absurd . If you’re not complaining about the offense and blaming the staff for that you’re complaining about player development. if it’s not player development you’re complaining about roster management. Are you ever not complaining?

by the way didn’t Boeheim say this was the same team as last year that struggled through the regular season?
OMFG you are awesome. You aren’t worth the time to give actual answers trust me if you were pretty anyone but like 4 posters I would answer you as I have answers but you are hilarious.
The players aren’t getting paid as long as they don’t break law or do something truly stupid they don’t deserve the criticism. My god how can’t you realize that. The coaches are getting paid. This isn’t professional sports the kids shouldbt get the scorn the coaches who are paid should get it.
Your post is so bad it’s legitimately making me laugh thank you.