Another 10-Loss Season... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Another 10-Loss Season...

Thank you. You have no answers and you have no idea what the staff should do to make anyone better because you have no idea what they do any
way. Just because the players don’t get paid doesn’t mean they’re not responsible for getting themselves better. that’s just a stupid take. Players are absolutely responsible for making themselves better in addition to the coaching they receive every day and practice . If players don’t eat right is that the coaches fault? Some of the crap you come up with is ridiculous. You constantly blame the coaches for everything and it’s absurd . If you’re not complaining about the offense and blaming the staff for that you’re complaining about player development. if it’s not player development you’re complaining about roster management. Are you ever not complaining?

by the way didn’t Boeheim say this was the same team as last year that struggled through the regular season?
Yes he’s said it repeatedly.

Bazley was a game changing talent for us. His failure to show essentially doomed us to being mediocre. This is a talent issue not a coaching issue.

OMFG you are awesome. You aren’t worth the time to give actual answers trust me if you were pretty anyone but like 4 posters I would answer you as I have answers but you are hilarious.
The players aren’t getting paid as long as they don’t break law or do something truly stupid they don’t deserve the criticism. My god how can’t you realize that. The coaches are getting paid. This isn’t professional sports the kids shouldbt get the scorn the coaches who are paid should get it.
Your post is so bad it’s legitimately making me laugh thank you.

So the players are only responsible for making themselves better if they get paid? Wow. That’s idiotic. The coaches can only do so much. They aren’t with them 24/7. The players need to work on their skills too. Did you blame your teachers when you got bad grades?

Yes, on paper we should have lost these last two. And we had chances to win both. I think it could bode well for the rest of the year, given we take care of business with Wake/Clemson/1st Round of ACC’s.

All that being said, Syracuse has double-digit losses for the 5th straight year. The longest streak in SU basketball history.

Disappointing. Thought this year could have been different with a 4-5 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Meh...it's the toughest conference in college basketball. Some really good programs are going to lose 10 games this year.

You’re going to lose games when your defense relies on opposing teams missing low percentage shots, paired with the fact our rebounding and free throw shooting are sub par. Im ecstatic we’re 18-10 with 9 conference wins. The zone’s advantage is null when you give up 2nd and 3rd chance possessions.

So the players are only responsible for making themselves better if they get paid? Wow. That’s idiotic. The coaches can only do so much. They aren’t with them 24/7. The players need to work on their skills too. Did you blame your teachers when you got bad grades?
College players don’t deserve criticism as long as they play hard and stay out of trouble.
The coaches are ones paid. They get credit and they get the blame.
Any good coach would say this.

The players need to work on their skills and that is player development with coaching. You are awesome.

College players don’t deserve criticism as long as they play hard and stay out of trouble.
The coaches are ones paid. They get credit and they get the blame.
Any good coach would say this.

The players need to work on their skills and that is player development with coaching. You are awesome.

Sorry buddy, but that’s silly. Of course they deserve criticism. What if they aren’t working hard? How would you know? What if they don’t practice hard or do what the staff asks them to do? What if they are not around to be coached? What if they aren’t hitting the weight room or not eating right? You can’t blame the coaches for everything just because they get paid. Your high school teacher got paid, but there were students that didn’t do well. Some kids just don’t try hard, don’t work hard, or don’t develop their skills on their own. There is accountability for the players.

And a player like Jalen Carey may be working hard, but won’t necessarily “develop” in couple of months. Its a much higher level of basketball than high school.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Alsacs, post: 2930813, member: The players need to work on their skills and that is player development with coaching.[/QUOTE]

VJ king didn’t develop at Louisville. He was a McDonald’s AA. Who’s fault is it?

You honestly are arguing just to argue with me. It’s so dumb and funny at the same time to me.
This college basketball not professional basketball.
My god you are just so dug in to debating stupidity it’s a waste of time on this board.
Players aren’t paid millions of dollars like head coaches, or hundreds of thousands of dollars like assistant coaches.
The players have to give effort and not break the law.
Coaches are fair game.
College players are not the professionals.

It is truly amazing how you want it to be the other way. Pay Jalen Carey 350k and he deserves criticism.

You honestly are arguing just to argue with me. It’s so dumb and funny at the same time to me.
This college basketball not professional basketball.
My god you are just so dug in to debating stupidity it’s a waste of time on this board.
Players aren’t paid millions of dollars like head coaches, or hundreds of thousands of dollars like assistant coaches.
The players have to give effort and not break the law.
Coaches are fair game.
College players are not the professionals.

It is truly amazing how you want it to be the other way. Pay Jalen Carey 350k and he deserves criticism.

I mean, what does paying anyone have to do with personal accountability? So in your mind, if Taurean Thompson refuses to work hard in practice on defense or won’t put in the work to get better doing what he’s supposed to do, he can’t be criticized? That’s stupid.

Don’t get mad because people disagree with your constant, repetitive criticism of the staff. This isn’t your personal board buddy.

Yes he’s said it repeatedly.

Bazley was a game changing talent for us. His failure to show essentially doomed us to being mediocre. This is a talent issue not a coaching issue.
Am I gonna have to get the receipts out? Before the season, JB said he thought the team would be good, certainly better than last year. He probably wasn’t as hyped as some people predicting top 10, but he def talked them up. It was only AFTER the season started and we didn’t look very good that he started in with the backtracking that this team was mostly the same players as last year/not all that different from last year’s team. Before the season he was talking this team up as our best since 2014.

Am I gonna have to get the receipts out? Before the season, JB said he thought the team would be good, certainly better than last year. He probably wasn’t as hyped as some people predicting top 10, but he def talked them up. It was only AFTER the season started and we didn’t look very good that he started in with the backtracking that this team was mostly the same players as last year/not all that different from last year’s team. Before the season he was talking this team up as our best since 2014.
JB says stuff...always has. My recollection on that is that it was based on a Donna tweet.

This team lacks top end talent. Nice but not great players. It’s fine but theyre slightly improved from last year

Indeed. Go back to JB's presser after the UB loss, from approx. the 5:26 mark. He was asked about the team's expectations, and that's when JB went on to say afterwards, a half dozen times or so for the next minute and a half plus of that presser how this team is the "same team" (for the most part) that lost 14 games last year. Also saying how this team played slightly better at the end of the year and then played 3 one point games in the tourney, and if ASU's top shooter makes that wide open shot from the corner at the game's end in that play-in game, "we go home."

anybody happy finishing 5-6 in conference every year? is that ok ? and do you think it's trending upwards ?

JB was talking about how good the team was going to be pre-season.
If you remember, that was at the time we knew Battle was back, Hughes was being lauded by the alumni players and Frank was burning the nets before his injury.
Oh, and add that Jalen was being looked at as a contributor along with a sharp shooting Buddy.

Some came true, other pieces not so much.

Indeed. Go back to JB's presser after the UB loss, from approx. the 5:26 mark. He was asked about the team's expectations, and that's when JB went on to say afterwards, a half dozen times or so for the next minute and a half plus of that presser how this team is the "same team" (for the most part) that lost 14 games last year. Also saying how this team played slightly better at the end of the year and then played 3 one point games in the tourney, and if ASU's top shooter makes that wide open shot from the corner at the game's end in that play-in game, "we go home."
True enough - last year’s team (11 seed) was fortunate and gritty enough to win the play-in and 2 more close games. They did that with no bench, and constant concerns about fouls and lack of output from the center position.
We should be better, adding Hughes and Boeheim and with improved play from Dolezaj, offset by the impact of Howard’s injury in the first third of the season. Our issues at center, point guard, inside scoring, and rebounding — pretty much obvious to all.
Also consider that 4 teams in the ACC are in the top 10. Our recruiting class was mediocre — Duke added lottery level talent. Florida State is also a solid team. So if we go 10 - 8 or 11 - 7 should we be railing about coaching?

Technically true, but teams play more games than ever these days, and many more games than in the not too distant past. This is far from the school's worst five-year stretch in terms of winning percentage.
In the JB era please tell us which 5 year stretch was worse than this.

I was addressing the history of the program, not simply the JB era. The most losses in a five year stretch under JB? Sure. But there's a Sweet 16 and Final Four in there, and this season's ultimate tournament performance is yet to be determined.

You must be a newbie for sure. How about 2005 through 2008 where we didn’t make it past first weekend in the NCAA’s with 2 of those years, 2007 and 2008 not even making the NCAA’s at all playing in the NIT?

You must be a newbie for sure. How about 2005 through 2008 where we didn’t make it past first weekend in the NCAA’s with 2 of those years, 2007 and 2008 not even making the NCAA’s at all playing in the NIT?
That's cherrypicking. You're judging strictly by post-season success or lack thereof. And you conveniently left out 2004 or 2009 -- you'd need to include one of those years since we're talking a 5-year stretch. I also thought this thread was about the number of losses - as a general indicator of overall body of work.

So who's the newbie again? ;)

I digress. Obviously the stats would say this stretch is roughly comparable to that one. I think the difference is style of play in these last 5 years is hands down the worst.

That's cherrypicking. You're judging strictly by post-season success or lack thereof. And you conveniently left out 2004 or 2009 -- you'd need to include one of those years since we're talking a 5-year stretch. I also thought this thread was about the number of losses - as a general indicator of overall body of work.

I digress. Obviously the stats would say this stretch is roughly comparable to that one. I think the difference is style of play in these last 5 years is hands down the worst.
What does style of play have to do with an assessment of overall body of work?

Keep moving the goalposts until you have them right where you want them.

LOL. Using simple wins or losses over a period certainly doesn’t take much analysis, I agree , makes it much easier to ignore changes in conferences , sanctions, injuries, the depth of talented teams nationally nor weighing post season final rankings vs preseason ranking with NCAA tournament results and seeding etc. Since you are making the rules of your own game to make your own assumptions, you certainly have an advantage , you win. :p[/QUOTE]

Of course post season success is the most important or crowning achievement - otherwise it would be deemed a disappointing end. So being 28-6 a third seed in the NCAA’s and losing the

LOL. Using simple wins or losses over a period certainly doesn’t take much analysis, I agree , makes it much easier to ignore changes in conferences , sanctions, injuries, the depth of talented teams nationally nor weighing post season final rankings vs preseason ranking with NCAA tournament results etc. Since you are making the rules of your own game to make your own assumptions, you certainly have an advantage , you win. :p
I’m going to have a drink every time someone mentions the sanctions from now on.

I’m going to have a drink every time someone mentions the sanctions from now on.

I would be rich if I got a buck each time people turn a blind eye and ignore its’ effects to substantiate their own agenda. The NCAA did actually impose them as punishment - believe it or not. And talk about cherry picking - lol - ‘makes it much easier to ignore changes in conferences , sanctions, injuries, the depth of talented teams nationally nor weighing post season final rankings vs preseason ranking with NCAA tournament results and seeding etc.’

LGO!