Another Should 44 be used as a recruiting tool thread. | Syracusefan.com

Another Should 44 be used as a recruiting tool thread.

CaliBob'63

Walk On
This thread is for the doubters. Even if we don't flip him - this is the ship turning slowly.

If we land him? #bringitback (if he's of high character)
I never comment on player tapes, until now. This young man is awesome...and seems so far to be "good kid". Why not offer him #44 to get his commitment?

Why stop at 44? For a kid of his caliber, I'd go as high as 49.

Maybe even .50 caliber?

1394328971-tumblr_m6peg0Mds21rra86mo1_1280.jpg

Because it probably means nothing to him?
Show him the Hollywood movie, the fact that the best player to play his position wore it, and the hall of famers and it may mean something.

I dont think this is how we should unretire the number. I just believe that it’s meaning wouldn’t be lost on recruits who learn about it.

Show him the Hollywood movie, the fact that the best player to play his position wore it, and the hall of famers and it may mean something.

I dont think this is how we should unretire the number. I just believe that it’s meaning wouldn’t be lost on recruits who learn about it.
Sometimes I think we stew or debate this #44 thing too much, as it seems to come up about 3-4x a year. Usually in January and early February.

But, honestly, to not utilize this asset is negligence of the highest order, especially for a program which has fewer resources than many (most?) of its P5 brethren.

I never comment on player tapes, until now. This young man is awesome...and seems so far to be "good kid". Why not offer him #44 to get his commitment?
Because he likely doesn't give 1 crap about 44. He's 17. The last time someone wore 44 he didn't even exist. Lets say you're 39 like me. If the carrot being dangled in front of the 17 year old me in 1995, was that if I commit, I get to wear the jersey of of some guy that played football in 1975, and before that in the 1960's and 50's, I'm just not going to care. That's ancient history when you've only been alive since 2000.

Because he likely doesn't give 1 crap about 44. He's 17. The last time someone wore 44 he didn't even exist. Lets say you're 39 like me. If the carrot being dangled in front of the 17 year old me in 1995, was that if I commit, I get to wear the jersey of of some guy that played football in 1975, and before that in the 1960's and 50's, I'm just not going to care. That's ancient history when you've only been alive since 2000.
Wonder how many kids/recruits saw The Express

Perhaps. But I think Dino could sell it...with Jim Brown and Floyd Little and Daryl Johnson, etc...the statues...zip code...dome rafters...give him the vision that he can be the hero and icon for Central NY...and the country with all the SU announcers excitedly talking about him and the resurgence of SU football. It could and would be exciting and energizing...and fill the dome...yea!!! I can dream can’t I? After all, my Freshman year, we were National Champs, so why not!

This stuff would register to every running back in the nation if we used it to our damn advantage and had a couple winning seasons.

Time for someone to do a “30 for 30” called simply “44”.

Time for someone to do a “30 for 30” called simply “44”.
Surprised it hasn’t been done yet considering Davis/Brown/Little...

Not to mention Rob Konrad’s deep sea travels

I don't know, but him watching the Express is like me watching "Brians Song", and dreaming of playing at Wake Forrest, so I can be the next Brian Piccolo. It just doesn't register.

The movie focused on his time with the Bears, not Wake Forrest. So, that's a big difference. Secondly, I don't know if this kid cares about history but some do. I never saw Brown, Davis, or Little play, but if I was offered the chance to wear the same number that they wore at the same university, I might be impressed. Brown's considered the GOAT, Davis won the Heisman and was the focus of a biopic, and poor Floyd was only a NFL HOFer. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker or anything, but it would be a cool tradition to carry on.

*every* running back knows about the GOAT Jim Brown...

Rich history of Ernie Davis is one movie away (that most football kids see)

You’re not giving recruits enough credit, IMO.

Also: the Heisman kids pose with on their OV is *the* first one hoisted by a person of color. That’s pretty huge.

Was Piccolo the first black Heisman Trophy winner...so yeah Ernie Davis just might register with a younger generation of color.
That doesn't change how old it is to a 17 year old. That's the key.

It's silly suggesting all 17 - 18 year olds are all going to react to the same thing in the same way. That goes for both viewpoints on the impact of "44", impact of the dome, impact of playing for Babers, the weather, being close/not close to home, etc.

Babers isn't the first coach to have a big recruit show some respect and come for a visit despite being committed to a different big program. The only way any of this will mean much is if he actually flips and signs with SU. Otherwise he's just one of many others since Marrone who've done the same thing.

Whether this happens or not, this is still turning out to be an amazing recruiting class.

*every* running back knows about the GOAT Jim Brown...

Rich history of Ernie Davis is one movie away (that most football kids see)

You’re not giving recruits enough credit, IMO.

Also: the Heisman kids pose with on their OV is *the* first one hoisted by a person of color. That’s pretty huge.

not to mention the statutes near manley...

I know cuselegacy said to lets get back to what this thread is about but...

We've had a number of recruits mention the movie since it first came out. I'm mostly impartial about bringing the number back but to assume no player would care about it I don't think is accurate.

I feel like more kids are impressed by something as self serving, and gaudy as a turnover chain, as opposed to a number with history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom