Antonio Barton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Antonio Barton

Would love to add Barton. With that said - I see Rodriguez is leaving KSt. That leaves a major hole at starting PG and likely big minutes there - could def see Barton looking at that as a major option vs the potential competition he will face at SU.

Again, absolutely true, but far harder done than said. My employees are elite professionals in their field, which is itself elite and I can't get them to see the big picture 90% of the time if they aren't getting exactly what they want. I suspect getting an 18 or 19 year old top athlete to do so is much more difficult (as in it would be functionally impossible).

I didn't state this explicitly, but "big picture" is also thinking about the four year career, and how these guys might be major, major contributors to team success, even if they aren't year 1. And for the record, I could see both Patterson and BJ being starters if not star performers later in their careers for SU.

Regardless, it is an interesting discussion. I guess I'd rather have Barton than not have him, and let the circumstances sort themselves out in practice as to who gets PT. And winning--and winning in a big way, a la top 10--has a way of getting the team in line and on the same page in terms of minutes distribution. See: Dion Waiters in 2011-2012.

The bottom line is if Ennis sprains an ankle or gets sick, we have no point guard. Covering for 5-8 minutes a game is one thing but not having Ennis for an entire game or several games is another. Barton would offer a lot of security and valuable experience coming off the bench. They say he's a great kid and is graduating in three years, so he's not going to be a problem. If Barton wants a chance to play in the ACC, go to Maui, play in front of huge crowds and get a graduate degree from a great school, then SU is perfect for him and SU.

Plus he is buddies with CJ which would help integrate him with the existing players at least. I completely see the points you guys are making as valid. I am ultimately in favor of whatever JB and Hop think is best, which appears to be bringing him in.

This is not like typical recruiting. Being a transfer, we're not just throwing lines in the water. Us being mentioned as having interest, to me, means we will take him if he wants to come. Done deal. Reading the article, I got the impression of the family just wrapping up some due diligence before he agrees to come. It's just how I read it, thats all.

Well, I looked at it more like they want to see what kind of role he can play - does he have a chance to start, do you look at him getting 10 minutes / 20 minutes?

Anyone know if we are getting a visit? I read he was down to Kansas St., Maryland and Cuse. Seems like a smart pickup for one year.
It would be more than smart. It would be a much needed answer to an area of neglect. Not having another pg for this coming season seems short sighted.Other than Ennis there is no other player coming into the team has exceptional ball handling skills.Forget Cooney. He must now be in some gym doing nothing but drills around cones to hone what ever skill he might have. Every freaking day until the season begins. If he wants a day off. Let him work on his shot until confidence is there from the moment he steps on the court up and including an opportunity to shoot. Practice getting open would be something he needs to work on considering he can;t create his shot beyond a clumsy trot into the pain once in a while.:eek:

ball handling skills.

abc_gma_syracuse_111128_wn.jpg

The bottom line is if Ennis sprains an ankle or gets sick, we have no point guard. Covering for 5-8 minutes a game is one thing but not having Ennis for an entire game or several games is another. Barton would offer a lot of security and valuable experience coming off the bench. They say he's a great kid and is graduating in three years, so he's not going to be a problem. If Barton wants a chance to play in the ACC, go to Maui, play in front of huge crowds and get a graduate degree from a great school, then SU is perfect for him and SU.

Strong post, but it's hard to imagine Barton or anyone else deciding to go somewhere based on an outside possibility of getting starter's minutes due to the possible injury of another, unless he plans to room with Ennis and shows up with a duffel bag full of banana peels.

Strong post, but it's hard to imagine Barton or anyone else deciding to go somewhere based on an outside possibility of getting starter's minutes due to the possible injury of another, unless he plans to room with Ennis and shows up with a duffel bag full of banana peels.

Or gives Tanya Harding a call to learn how it is done.

Just out of curiosity, why would you not be sold on this? It makes an insane amount of sense to me, if it happens.

1. We are very thin at PG, and have virtually zero experience at that position next year. Add Barton, and you've got a player with three years as a PG at a high level D1 program. Problem pretty much solved.

2. Our shooting is a little suspect heading into next year. We don't know if Cooney will make the leap, if CJ will continue to emerge as a threat, or what to expect from Silent G. Barton is second on the all-time career three point % list at Memphis, at over 42% for his career. Another problem pretty well solved.

3. We have one scholarship open. Barton is a one year player, so he fills out that scholarship, but that's it. He won't be taking up a scholarship after that since he's one and done.

It really just makes so much sense to me.

4) Barton graduated in 3 years, and thus will likely help our APR as much as the walk ons JB has been using to pad the grade curve the programs are working under these days.

Frozen, I gotta admit that went sailing over my head. My only excuse is fresh out of the hospital and a bit drugged No its the god kind of drugs.I feel sorry for Bernie. A man's life was ruined for nothing. Coming out when Sandusky's heinous activities was another poor timing nail in his coffin.:bat:

That was last week. Things can change very quick.

Usually I would be automatically for the barton move especially if its only one year, but we are already 12 men deep this year and only Obokoh is only a likely canidate to redshirt if he can't play the four at all.

At worst case scenerio I can't see Obokoh, BJ, Patterson and Roberson all redshirting and even if they did we still would be 8 deep. On the other hand we have 5 probable guards 2 of them are 6'7. We haven't been able to make a 6'7 guard work up top defensively in the last 15 years if ever. Paul Harris and MCW were pretty darn good defenders at 6'5 6'6 both being looked at by nba teams defensviely. And patterson a 3rd of our 5 guards might not be ready yet. Also the lack of experience at guard is lacking heavily with only Cooney and and Gbinije getting token minutes. Barton would move Gbinije to play both guard and forward I think. IMO, about as hard of a decision as possible for the staff to make.

Those 4 kids redshirting, NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN

I heard he once dated Tanya Harding.

I will pass, I don't want anything getting in the way of Ennis' development/minutes.

I'd take him for the reasons mentioned earlier. Mainly, SU's only pg is Ennis. Not that he won't be good, but you need at least one more person who can play the position on the roster.

Those 4 kids redshirting, NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN
Redshirt Coleman. He was pretty much a dud this past season Another year on the sideline isn't going to hurt the team. There is the slim possibility that he rises up to jack this coming season but does anyone really think that will happen!?:crazy::noidea:

Were not going to redshirt 4 players. I think the posters point was we are still 8 deep even if we did redshirt 4 of our
freshmen.

JB doesn't sit sophmores to often the other 8 outside of Ennis are sophmores or above. And that still would be 3 in the backcourt and 5 in the backline which is what some of our best teams have had.

Redshirt Coleman. He was pretty much a dud this past season Another year on the sideline isn't going to hurt the team. There is the slim possibility that he rises up to jack this coming season but does anyone really think that will happen!?:crazy::noidea:
He'll be our most improved sensation.

Just watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom