Antonio Barton | Syracusefan.com

Antonio Barton

Macho Uno

Scout Team
Anyone know if we are getting a visit? I read he was down to Kansas St., Maryland and Cuse. Seems like a smart pickup for one year.

That can only mean that coaches are feeling good about who will be on the roster next year and don't want to deal with an over crowded backcourt and unhappy players. Basically another guard has to be able to move from 2g to combo guard. Speculation on that subject will be there until SU's first game or at least when reports leak out from early practices. I think Gbinje is the wild card here. Reports from practices is that he was being tried at the point. A lot will be on Ennis shoulders but other programs have had freshman starting pgs, why not SU?

That can only mean that coaches are feeling good about who will be on the roster next year and don't want to deal with an over crowded backcourt and unhappy players. Basically another guard has to be able to move from 2g to combo guard.
No. It could mean the kid wants to start next year and knows it won't happen at SU. In fact, I would think that if SU had offered, it directly refutes your conclusion.

If you read all of the articles and quotes carefully, nowhere does it say that SU has offered this kid a scholarship.

Jake said not likely to happen

Not to discount all the good stuff Jake has done over the years, and he has great contacts - i know that ... but a few of his recent tidbits have been off.

That was last week. Things can change very quick.

Usually I would be automatically for the barton move especially if its only one year, but we are already 12 men deep this year and only Obokoh is only a likely canidate to redshirt if he can't play the four at all.

At worst case scenerio I can't see Obokoh, BJ, Patterson and Roberson all redshirting and even if they did we still would be 8 deep. On the other hand we have 5 probable guards 2 of them are 6'7. We haven't been able to make a 6'7 guard work up top defensively in the last 15 years if ever. Paul Harris and MCW were pretty darn good defenders at 6'5 6'6 both being looked at by nba teams defensviely. And patterson a 3rd of our 5 guards might not be ready yet. Also the lack of experience at guard is lacking heavily with only Cooney and and Gbinije getting token minutes. Barton would move Gbinije to play both guard and forward I think. IMO, about as hard of a decision as possible for the staff to make.

Not to discount all the good stuff Jake has done over the years, and he has great contacts - i know that ... but a few of his recent tidbits have been off.
HERETIC

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Based on today's article, it really appears Barton is on his way. I'm still not really sold on the idea, but of course, if JB and Hop think it is the right thing to do, then I'm in favor of it.

Based on today's article, it really appears Barton is on his way. I'm still not really sold on the idea, but of course, if JB and Hop think it is the right thing to do, then I'm in favor of it.

What article are you referring to?

Usually I would be automatically for the barton move especially if its only one year, but we are already 12 men deep this year and only Obokoh is only a likely canidate to redshirt if he can't play the four at all.

At worst case scenerio I can't see Obokoh, BJ, Patterson and Roberson all redshirting and even if they did we still would be 8 deep. On the other hand we have 5 probable guards 2 of them are 6'7. We haven't been able to make a 6'7 guard work up top defensively in the last 15 years if ever. Paul Harris and MCW were pretty darn good defenders at 6'5 6'6 both being looked at by nba teams defensviely. And patterson a 3rd of our 5 guards might not be ready yet. Also the lack of experience at guard is lacking heavily with only Cooney and and Gbinije getting token minutes. Barton would move Gbinije to play both guard and forward I think. IMO, about as hard of a decision as possible for the staff to make.

Yeah BJ, Buss, and Beast are not red shirting...A few people think Beast can start, and Buss is dark horse next year, dude can ball, just ask Wayne Seldon....

Patterson has already spent a year prepping (and improving) after getting an offer from Indiana out of high school. He's not going to delay it another full year. I fully expect him to be in the mix for playing time.

No way four players red-shirt. Patterson and Roberson will get significant minutes. Roberson could make a push to start. The only one that's closest to a lock as a red-shirt next season is Obokoh - total log jam at the five.

I did see that article, but I didn't take away that he was on his way. I took it as SU being a very good option for him. Him and his family like SU and there are some connections for him but they also give some good reasons for him to go to Maryland as well. But to say that he is on his way is a little misleading; unless you are talking about, on his way for a visit.
I agree. And I would add that nowhere does it say that SU has even offered him a scholarship. Maybe it's a situation where JB isn't allowed to talk about a potential transfer until he graduates, or they are waiting to interview him if he even visits. But the article implies some inherent assumption that if Barton decided to come here, there would automatically be a spot for him and we'd welcome him with open arms. I have not read that from anyone associated with the program.

Just out of curiosity, why would you not be sold on this? It makes an insane amount of sense to me, if it happens.

1. We are very thin at PG, and have virtually zero experience at that position next year. Add Barton, and you've got a player with three years as a PG at a high level D1 program. Problem pretty much solved.

2. Our shooting is a little suspect heading into next year. We don't know if Cooney will make the leap, if CJ will continue to emerge as a threat, or what to expect from Silent G. Barton is second on the all-time career three point % list at Memphis, at over 42% for his career. Another problem pretty well solved.

3. We have one scholarship open. Barton is a one year player, so he fills out that scholarship, but that's it. He won't be taking up a scholarship after that since he's one and done.

It really just makes so much sense to me.

... It makes an insane amount of sense to me, if it happens.

1. We are very thin at PG, and have virtually zero experience at that position next year. Add Barton, and you've got a player with three years as a PG at a high level D1 program. Problem pretty much solved.

2. Our shooting is a little suspect heading into next year. ... Barton is second on the all-time career three point % list at Memphis, at over 42% for his career. Another problem pretty well solved.

3. We have one scholarship open. Barton is a one year player, so he fills out that scholarship, but that's it. He won't be taking up a scholarship after that since he's one and done. ...

We saw, against Louisville, what happens when you are thin at PG, and your 2G isn't great at beating pressure. So, yes, this makes sense -- to allow Ennis to start, but not require him to play 35 mins/game; & to allow us to put 2 ball handlers on the floor if a team like Louisville wants to pressure for 90 feet.

This is no sure thing, as Barton is looking at 5 schools and he will see that Ennis was recruited to start. There have been a number of seasons when JB has not taken steps to fill an obvious need -- last season, we needed a 4th guard; some time back, we entered a season counting on Stephen Thompson to be a ball handler, when recruiting another PG would have put that team in the final four.

no need to debate this issue, if su has offered and he is making a visit, obviously the staff feels there is a need. Big question is the fact that he has a son in the Baltimore area and also what Boeheim says to him regarding his potential role next year. As others have stated, SU has a lot of advantages over some other schools that might be recruiting him.

I did see that article, but I didn't take away that he was on his way. I took it as SU being a very good option for him. Him and his family like SU and there are some connections for him but they also give some good reasons for him to go to Maryland as well. But to say that he is on his way is a little misleading; unless you are talking about, on his way for a visit.

This is not like typical recruiting. Being a transfer, we're not just throwing lines in the water. Us being mentioned as having interest, to me, means we will take him if he wants to come. Done deal. Reading the article, I got the impression of the family just wrapping up some due diligence before he agrees to come. It's just how I read it, thats all.

Just out of curiosity, why would you not be sold on this? It makes an insane amount of sense to me, if it happens.

2. Our shooting is a little suspect heading into next year. We don't know if Cooney will make the leap, if CJ will continue to emerge as a threat, or what to expect from Silent G. Barton is second on the all-time career three point % list at Memphis, at over 42% for his career. Another problem pretty well solved.

3. We have one scholarship open. Barton is a one year player, so he fills out that scholarship, but that's it. He won't be taking up a scholarship after that since he's one and done.

It really just makes so much sense to me.

I agree on all those points. I am not sold on what impact it could potentially have on team chemistry and the morale of other incoming players. These are all things I can only speculate on looking from the outside, of course. I just don't know how thrilled Ennis and particularly Patterson would be to hear about a development like this. Patterson, who has already been royally screwed over by one program, mind you. If we are counting on those players being long term contributors to our success, I wouldn't want to start off their careers with a feeling that they aren't really valued.

Again, I have no way of knowing if they do or ever would really feel that way - which is why I trust in JB and Hop. They know how to deal with the egos involved. But all the logical facts in the world about this being a good idea don't mean a thing to a kid who feels like he's being hosed by the move.

I agree on all those points. I am not sold on what impact it could potentially have on team chemistry and the morale of other incoming players. These are all things I can only speculate on looking from the outside, of course. I just don't know how thrilled Ennis and particularly Patterson would be to hear about a development like this. Patterson, who has already been royally screwed over by one program, mind you. If we are counting on those players being long term contributors to our success, I wouldn't want to start off their careers with a feeling that they aren't really valued.

Again, I have no way of knowing if they do or ever would really feel that way - which is why I trust in JB and Hop. They know how to deal with the egos involved. But all the logical facts in the world about this being a good idea don't mean a thing to a kid who feels like he's being hosed by the move.

I understand what you're getting at, but Patterson and Ennis also need to think big picture. Their roles on the team are currently undefined. He'll have to earn his PT [just like every other player]. Nothing is going to be handed to any of them regardless of their pedigree / accolades coming in--just ask former McD's All Americans MCW, Rak, and Coleman. And if these guys or any other player are averse to competition for PT, then they're at the wrong place.

If Patterson is better than Barton, he'll play over him. If not, then maybe having to play against a veteran like Barton will improve him and help him learn, positioning him to be a better player down the road. Maybe Ennis doesn't want to look over his shoulder, but perhaps it will benefit him to have a more experienced player behind / alongside him that can mentor him [and yes, I think that Ennis probably has more ability than Barton, but that's not the point--inexperience is the point].

I just don't see a downside, unless he's not good enough, a poor system fit, or a bad attitude. Judging from what we've read about JB actively recruiting him, I presume that none of that is the case. As Jekelish said above, Barton would singlehandedly help shore up the two biggest team weaknesses, and won't impact recruiting long term as he'd only be here for a year.

I understand what you're getting at, but Patterson and Ennis also need to think big picture.

Again, absolutely true, but far harder done than said. My employees are elite professionals in their field, which is itself elite and I can't get them to see the big picture 90% of the time if they aren't getting exactly what they want. I suspect getting an 18 or 19 year old top athlete to do so is much more difficult (as in it would be functionally impossible).

I understand what you're getting at, but Patterson and Ennis also need to think big picture. Their roles on the team are currently undefined. He'll have to earn his PT [just like every other player]. Nothing is going to be handed to any of them regardless of their pedigree / accolades coming in--just ask former McD's All Americans MCW, Rak, and Coleman. And if these guys or any other player are averse to competition for PT, then they're at the wrong place.

If Patterson is better than Barton, he'll play over him. If not, then maybe having to play against a veteran like Barton will improve him and help him learn, positioning him to be a better player down the road. Maybe Ennis doesn't want to look over his shoulder, but perhaps it will benefit him to have a more experienced player behind / alongside him that can mentor him [and yes, I think that Ennis probably has more ability than Barton, but that's not the point--inexperience is the point].

I just don't see a downside, unless he's not good enough, a poor system fit, or a bad attitude. Judging from what we've read about JB actively recruiting him, I presume that none of that is the case. As Jekelish said above, Barton would singlehandedly help shore up the two biggest team weaknesses, and won't impact recruiting long term as he'd only be here for a year.
Agree 100%. To add to that, I'm not sure JB or Hop or any college coach really considers potential hurt egos of someone who has not even stepped on campus yet. If the coaches feel Barton will help and strengthen the team then anyone who has a problem with it probably shouldn't be here. I think its a no brainer. If for some reason BJ or Patterson or Ennis has a problem with that (I sincerely doubt they do) then they are welcome to be the next Keith Hughes or Earl Duncan and move on. SU will recruit someone to replace them. And for whoever in this thread stated that "we're already 12 deep next year..." :rolling:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom