Any good TE stuck in the portal with Kirk and Spock? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any good TE stuck in the portal with Kirk and Spock?

There's this guy. He runs the 40 in infinity but has a good head on his shoulders.
c692161b8af52db591852972b8a9a1de.jpg
If the staff misses on this guy, we'll have their head on a Pike!

Chris Elmore can easily be converted to a TE. He is a FB now.
I am sure he can learn the position as he can block and I am sure he can catch the ball.
He's really just a huge blocking back running straight ahead and crushing LBs.
In no way does that make him a TE. A TE has to block in space with lateral movement, theoretically they have to catch passes all over the field. Elmore is not a flexible, nimble, moving player. Of course you could line him up there but then who plays the blocking back position he's so good at.

Here's some portal poop pour vous:

Proceeding under the assumption that we're looking at someone who can play immediately, here are the possibilities:

Kyle Penniston from Wisconsin, was the 13th-ranked TE prospect in the country in 2014, but never got a big run there.

Lou Dorsey from Illinois, caught 15 passes for 225 yards in 2017. That 24/7 site says he's eligible immediately. Served a suspension, and there was no love lost between him and Lovie Smith.

Nakia Griffin-Stewart from Rutgers, grad transfer. Never really did much there, but also played H-back.

Tyler Mabry from Buffalo. Caught 27 passes for 230 yards in 2018, 24 passes for 242 yards in 2017.

Well, in terms of those in the portal, these appear to be the most likely possibilities.

Last edited:
I don't know about Mabry or Cunningham but Griffin-Stewart is graduating in May according to his instagram. I think I read that he had an offer from Pitt and Maryland

The Hyphen thinks he had an “amazing” four years at Rutgers.

Unless he’s using that word the way Coach K uses it, this is a man with very low standards.

Here's some portal poop pour vous:

Proceeding under the assumption that we're looking at someone who can play immediately, here are the possibilities:

Kyle Penniston from Wisconsin, was the 13th-ranked TE prospect in the country in 2014, but never got a big run there.

Lou Dorsey from Illinois, caught 15 passes for 225 yards in 2017. That 24/7 site says he's eligible immediately. Served a suspension, and there was no love lost between him and Lovie Smith.

Nakia Griffin-Stewart from Rutgers, grad transfer. Never really did much there, but also played H-back.

Tyler Mabry from Buffalo. Caught 27 passes for 230 yards in 2018, 24 passes for 242 yards in 2017.

Well, in terms of those in the portal, these appear to be the most likely possibilities.

Yeah I saw similar when I looked - I assume the staff is looking for someone dynamic and none of that screams dynamic to me. But maybe there is an Amba Etta Tawo in one of them :)

Yeah I saw similar when I looked - I assume the staff is looking for someone dynamic and none of that screams dynamic to me. But maybe there is an Amba Etta Tawo in one of them :)

The two who interest me the most are Mabry, who has proven to be a productive TE, and Dorsey, who showed promise as a freshman. Of course, the staff would have to do some serious due diligence on Dorsey. Mabry looks like he could come in and be a solid complementary piece, which is pretty much what Horan could have offered.

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.
O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;
The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won;
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead,
When all else has gone kaput,
At least he has his head.

The two who interest me the most are Mabry, who has proven to be a productive TE, and Dorsey, who showed promise as a freshman. Of course, the staff would have to do some serious due diligence on Dorsey. Mabry looks like he could come in and be a solid complementary piece, which is pretty much what Horan could have offered.

Lustig is following Mabry on Twitter FWIW.

Dorsey actually had closer to 400 yards receiving as a true frosh.

Louis Dorsey College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Seems like the guy to target if he has his head on straight.

Looks like my stats were for home games. Forgot that road stats count, too...

400 yard and 3 TD's is pretty impressive for a true frosh TE - he must have really screwed up for Illinois to push him out.

I don't believe Lustig is following him so probably not in the cards.

400 yard and 3 TD's is pretty impressive for a true frosh TE - he must have really screwed up for Illinois to push him out.

I don't believe Lustig is following him so probably not in the cards.

He was on the Mackey Watch List as a sophomore. Found this quote from Lovie Smith:

"The kid’s a good player. He’s just got to make sure he does everything right. You’ve got to be held accountable for your actions. If you don’t do what you’re supposed to do, there are consequences for that some times. If you do what you’re supposed to do, guess what, you get rewarded with time. It's as simple as that, right?"

I smile every time Elmore goes out wide. Is the cupboard really that bare here? The local kid caught a td last year and seems like a good prospect . I remember hearing hacketts name a few times ... most notably the infamous call back during the Clemson game dhdnejenb... sorry I slid my hand across my keyboard, trying to wipe the tears from my eyes while writing that sentence..

I smile every time Elmore goes out wide. Is the cupboard really that bare here? The local kid caught a td last year and seems like a good prospect . I remember hearing hacketts name a few times ... most notably the infamous call back during the Clemson game dhdnejenb... sorry I slid my hand across my keyboard, trying to wipe the tears from my eyes while writing that sentence..
Horan is done due to concussions. So yeah, we really are that bare here.

We have our blocking TEs.
We are short on receiving TEs but this offense can easily adapt to not having on.
What we lose from last year is a 15 yard bonehead penalty and a few red zone TDs.
I don't think the staff is going to reach for any TEs.

Is Jessie Conners healthy? I know he looked decent in practices a few years ago, and then was injured.

He could potentially get some reps this season as well.

He was on the Mackey Watch List as a sophomore. Found this quote from Lovie Smith:

"The kid’s a good player. He’s just got to make sure he does everything right. You’ve got to be held accountable for your actions. If you don’t do what you’re supposed to do, there are consequences for that some times. If you do what you’re supposed to do, guess what, you get rewarded with time. It's as simple as that, right?"

sounds like a kid who will end up at one of the Mississippi schools.

We have our blocking TEs.
We are short on receiving TEs but this offense can easily adapt to not having on.
What we lose from last year is a 15 yard bonehead penalty and a few red zone TDs.
I don't think the staff is going to reach for any TEs.
Who are our blocking TEs? Hackett and Culpepper? They aren't big enough to be considered such.

Who are our blocking TEs? Hackett and Culpepper? They aren't big enough to be considered such.
Elmore is a hybrid in this offense and yes Hackett.
The best part of this offense is we really don't need a blocking TE or a receiving TE, just adept the offense around what we have at all positions.

Elmore is a hybrid in this offense and yes Hackett.
The best part of this offense is we really don't need a blocking TE or a receiving TE, just adept the offense around what we have at all positions.
Elmore is going to stay as our blocking back. Had a great year. Hackett is only 229 and good hands. He'll be a steady starter but we need a blocking TE that lines up at the end of the line and not in the backfield like Elmore will.

Elmore is going to stay as our blocking back. Had a great year. Hackett is only 229 and good hands. He'll be a steady starter but we need a blocking TE that lines up at the end of the line and not in the backfield like Elmore will.

Elmore lined up at the end of the line plenty of times the last two years.
Sure he is our blocking black but also lines up as a "TE" in this offense.
Kleinburg was only 237 and was used in the hybrid role and Ravian was 244. Given another year with the S&C Hackett or Conner could put on some more weight. Even Rex could if they leave him at TE but he might be going back to QB.
Like I've said this offense does not need a traditional TE for it to be successful.

I'd imagine that any of the "smaller" and/or more agile O-Line guys who are not currently on the 2-deep for the line, could be used for the blocking TE role.

Ditto for any of the backup DE's, LB's, etc who have sufficient size.

It's not rocket surgery to be a decent blocking TE, if you've got the requisite size.

Elmore lined up at the end of the line plenty of times the last two years.
Sure he is our blocking black but also lines up as a "TE" in this offense.
Kleinburg was only 237 and was used in the hybrid role and Ravian was 244. Given another year with the S&C Hackett or Conner could put on some more weight. Even Rex could if they leave him at TE but he might be going back to QB.
Like I've said this offense does not need a traditional TE for it to be successful.
I'm think I respectfully disagree. I watched every play this year and can't remember once where Chris Elmore lined up as a traditional TE position. I'm sure it could have happened a few times, but plenty? I just don't think so. Staff is looking for a TE for all the reasons you mention above. Just doesn't quite cut it. Your solutions are a combination of wishful thinking, duct tape, intentional ignorance, and hope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom