any word on UConn's draw in the | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

any word on UConn's draw in the

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laugh all you want, but sdhusky is right...Uconn's schedule is tougher this year than it was last year.

Part of it is the fact that we get to play Louisville twice, which obviously is a one-year thing. But it's 100% true.

Ok...:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Laugh all you want, but sdhusky is right...Uconn's schedule is tougher this year than it was last year.

Part of it is the fact that we get to play Louisville twice, which obviously is a one-year thing. But it's 100% true.
I'm sure if Cuse were in your same place...they would do the same scheduling matrix...however, by playing more Big Boy teams OOC you will lose some gate revenue. I actually think UConn will end up okay...but it might take a few years. I think the ACC and B1G want to digest their gains first. Maybe the B12 invites some NE firends for WVU but will the TV money work?

I'm sure if Cuse were in your same place...they would do the same scheduling matrix...however, by playing more Big Boy teams OOC you will lose some gate revenue. I actually think UConn will end up okay...but it might take a few years. I think the ACC and B1G want to digest their gains first. Maybe the B12 invites some NE firends for WVU but will the TV money work?

Losing the gate revenue from 2-3 home cupcakes per year is a pretty small tradeoff in exchange for keeping the RPI/SOS numbers comparable to prior years.

Not to mention, if nobody's going to watch the conference games, you better make damn sure that they're going to watch the non-conference games.

OOC is tougher, but you're basically getting rid of Syracuse, Marquette, Pitt, Notre Dame, NC State Michigan State and Georgetown while adding Florida, Washington, Stanford, Maryland, Memphis and Indiana.

Please tell me how that will increase your RPI. The teams you're getting rid of were all top 25 teams last year (7 total, while Cuse, MSU and GTOwn all spent time in the top 10); I don't think Washington, Maryland or IU are top 25, and Stanford is fringe. Florida and Memphis will be top 15. But trading 4 or 5 top 15 teams for 2 doesn't seem like it would help your RPI too much.

OOC is tougher, but you're basically getting rid of Syracuse, Marquette, Pitt, Notre Dame, NC State Michigan State and Georgetown while adding Florida, Washington, Stanford, Maryland, Memphis and Indiana.

Please tell me how that will increase your RPI. The teams you're getting rid of were all top 25 teams last year (7 total, while Cuse, MSU and GTOwn all spent time in the top 10); I don't think Washington, Maryland or IU are top 25, and Stanford is fringe. Florida and Memphis will be top 15. But trading 4 or 5 top 15 teams for 2 doesn't seem like it would help your RPI too much.

We play Memphis and Louisville twice each. Those games plus Florida are your 5 top-15 games.

Stanford may be fringe top-25, but it's a true road game (I'm assuming we play them on the road since we're playing Florida at home). Too early to know how good Maryland, Indiana, Washington/BC will be, but at least those are all on a neutral court. Harvard is another top-25 caliber team. We play Temple and Cincinnati twice each as well. As of today, there are 14 top-50ish games on the schedule, which is pretty much exactly the same as last year.

We play Memphis and Louisville twice each. Those games plus Florida are your 5 top-15 games.

Stanford may be fringe top-25, but it's a true road game (I'm assuming we play them on the road since we're playing Florida at home). Too early to know how good Maryland, Indiana, Washington/BC will be, but at least those are all on a neutral court. Harvard is another top-25 caliber team. We play Temple and Cincinnati twice each as well. As of today, there are 14 top-50ish games on the schedule, which is pretty much exactly the same as last year.
Well you played Louisville, Washington and Cincinnati (twice) last year. You also played New Mexico.

Last year you played 11 games vs. at-large teams (not counting Louisville and Harvard); if you include those 2, that's 13 out of 30 games vs. tournament teams, or 43% . I'd be shocked if you matched that number this year. Not to mention you can't discount that playing St.John's and Seton Hall won't hurt your RPI as much as SMU and Tulane.

Temple this year won't be any better than say St.John's or Seton Hall last year.

EDIT: Right, the top 50 games MIGHT be close to waht you did last year, but when you lose PC (90 RPI) and St. John's (94) and add Tulane (178) and SMU (219), it will hurt. USF at 156 was the 2nd to worst Big East school last year (besides DePaul), unfortunately for you, the majority of your conference will be hovering around that 160 RPI mark or worse.

Well you played Louisville, Washington and Cincinnati (twice) last year. You also played New Mexico.

Last year you played 11 games vs. at-large teams (not counting Louisville and Harvard); if you include those 2, that's 13 out of 30 games vs. tournament teams, or 43% . I'd be shocked if you matched that number this year. Not to mention you can't discount that playing St.John's and Seton Hall won't hurt your RPI as much as SMU and Tulane.

Temple this year won't be any better than say St.John's or Seton Hall last year.

EDIT: Right, the top 50 games MIGHT be close to waht you did last year, but when you lose PC (90 RPI) and St. John's (94) and add Tulane (178) and SMU (219), it will hurt. USF at 156 was the 2nd to worst Big East school last year (besides DePaul), unfortunately for you, the majority of your conference will be hovering around that 160 RPI mark or worse.

You're not comparing apples to apples when you compare last year's RPIs of the lousy teams from both leagues. The only reason Seton Hall's RPI was higher than, say, Houston's was because Seton Hall played a Big East schedule and Houston played a Conference USA schedule. The Conference USA teams will play 8 really tough conference games this year instead of 2, so their numbers will go up.

It's kind of silly to argue at this level of detail - Houston and Seton Hall both stink, end of story. And I'm certainly not suggesting that the AAC is 1/10th of the league the Big East was. But we don't need to pretend that DePaul, St. John's, PC, and Seton Hall are that much better than the lousy AAC teams. In fact, when you consider that the Catholic 7 teams now play in a worse conference than last year and the Conference USA teams now play in a better conference, those RPIs are going to look a lot more similar.

The bottom line is, at least for next season, there is minimal (if any) drop off in Uconn's regular season schedule as a whole.

Uconn has been more mediocre-awful than not the last 5 years. How some of their fans think theyre going to be an instant title contender is a joke.

Just imagine if they had to play someone good March 2011.

Uconn has been more mediocre-awful than not the last 5 years. How some of their fans think theyre going to be an instant title contender is a joke.

Yes, we know. The 2011 championship doesn't count. Those 11 consecutive neutral court wins in the postseason - which included Kentucky, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, Georgetown, Arizona, etc. - were just dumb luck.

If you guys think that 2 Final Fours and a National Championship is mediocre-awful, well...

2010- Missed tournament
2012 blown out of the first round
2013 banned

That's certainly more bad years than not in the last five. And you finished 9th in the conference before you recieved your fluke tournament draw.

You are the expert in small sample sizes and selective statistics, so you should have no issue with what I'm saying.

Hopefully, this will be my last UConn post. They(UConn fans) seem to think that every comparison between our program and theirs ends up with their 3 NC's and our 1. However, it is so much deeper than that. First of all, everyone knows that in the tournament, you have to not only be good, but lucky as well. You have to get a good draw, you have to get the right bounces, etc. That being said, it was still a great acheivement for them to win 3. Not many schools can say that. They were extremely fortunate with their draws in the last 2 NC's. All the schools they list in the previous post all had down years, and the two championship games were against Ga. Tech and Butler. Please!! As far as excellence spread out since the Big East was formed, there is no comparison between us and them. Their successses are very compact with several years of poor to mediocre seasons included.

Finally, and most important of all, their accomplishments are in the past. They simply have a bleak future despite all the spin their diehards spew out. Their fan base is nowhere what ours is, no major conference is remotely interested in them, despite all the horn tooting from their delusional fans. Once Louisville leaves, that league is no better than the A-10, and their hopes of winning again is miniscule. We went to the final 4 this season with one of the weakest teams we've had in years. With our recruiting success, and our new conference, the future is incredibly bright. Our best days are ahead of us, not behind. They will always dwell on the past, because that's all they have. Their 3-1 answer to everything is typical loser- living in the past mentality.

2010- Missed tournament
2012 blown out of the first round
2013 banned

That's certainly more bad years than not in the last five. And you finished 9th in the conference before you recieved your fluke tournament draw.

You are the expert in small sample sizes and selective statistics, so you should have no issue with what I'm saying.

Yup. It was a fluke draw. And the only reason Calhoun was successful was Donyell Marshal.

Do you know how many times Calhoun went to an elite 8 and got a fluke bad draw?

But anyway, we still have 3 National Championship banners hanging from the past 15 years or so.

Actually, its 11 National Championship banners in that gym.

Yup. It was a fluke draw. And the only reason Calhoun was successful was Donyell Marshal.

But anyway, we still have 3 National Championship banners hanging from the past 15 years or so.

LOL yes. woman's basketball. A lot of people really care about that. I have never been to a woman's game. I expect that trend to continue. And with all of that, no league wants you.

Cool, you go girls.

You're not comparing apples to apples when you compare last year's RPIs of the lousy teams from both leagues. The only reason Seton Hall's RPI was higher than, say, Houston's was because Seton Hall played a Big East schedule and Houston played a Conference USA schedule. The Conference USA teams will play 8 really tough conference games this year instead of 2, so their numbers will go up.

It's kind of silly to argue at this level of detail - Houston and Seton Hall both stink, end of story. And I'm certainly not suggesting that the AAC is 1/10th of the league the Big East was. But we don't need to pretend that DePaul, St. John's, PC, and Seton Hall are that much better than the lousy AAC teams. In fact, when you consider that the Catholic 7 teams now play in a worse conference than last year and the Conference USA teams now play in a better conference, those RPIs are going to look a lot more similar.

The bottom line is, at least for next season, there is minimal (if any) drop off in Uconn's regular season schedule as a whole.
No sherlock, that was my point. Even teh bad teams in the Big East had decent RPI because of the schedule, so that helped your RPI. You're RPI will be greatly affected by not being in the Big East.

Good point. I wish Syracuse had a non-revenue sport that they absolutely dominated.

No sherlock, that was my point. Even teh bad teams in the Big East had decent RPI because of the schedule, so that helped your RPI. You're RPI will be greatly affected by not being in the Big East.

And my point is that the bad Conference USA teams will have a higher RPI next year just by being in a better conference. And, again, a beefed up non-conference schedule and the fact that we get 2 games each with Louisville and Memphis will mean that our RPI will not be affected "greatly" next year at all. Go look at last year's RPI rankings again and notice how many teams from non-power conferences were in the top-30.

A.A.U. vs Ivy league challenge? It was leaked that it would be Brown but has not been confirmed.
Who the F cares ...especially on This Board! uconn is in a mid major conference and is going nowhere fast!
Cue Marsh!

It's cute how the ucon halfwits now include the women's team with the men's to try and prove how totally awesome storrs is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom