Anybody we can't play with? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anybody we can't play with?

Brissett doesn’t even need to finish for us to have a much better chance going forward. He just needs to draw fouls like he did last year. There is no reason he can’t do that. Further, if we keep showing we can hit the side of a barn from 3, teams won’t be able to pack in so much which has also hurt him.

Bad blood?
Sorry - I was just playing along.

No one should be expecting Tyus back. No one. And T Battle should not receive any flak from the SU crowd once he declares - none. Full support.

Now, as I take it one step further, into the borderline ridiculous (which is my style) - people should rejoice each game T Battle plays this season. Glad he doesn't give in to the Zionish thought of shutting it down and rest for his big payday. T Battle looks like a lotto candidate to me.

I'm not disagreeing, but we also shot terrible the beginning of the season and I think guys like Hughes, Boeheim, and Howard are closer to what they are now than they were earlier in the season.

Williamson and Barrett are just not good shooters yet in their development so when people downgrade our win against them because Jones and Reddish were out I kind of disagree as it put their best shooter on the court in O'Connell.

I'm not saying we are winning all the rest of our games, but we also are not the same team that lost to Buffalo, ODU, and UConn.

This is true. However, at the same time, Duke became a much worse defensive team. Duke got off to that great start at 14-2, and a large part of it was due to Jones ability to defend. We had a few turnovers to start that game because of Jones' on ball pressure, and it set the tone early as our offense was completely out of sync. Even with JB putting up '17 point underdog's tonight' in the locker room for his team to see, and advising them this is what people currently think about you, they still came out and started the game badly.

After Jones went down, it did seem to change the complexion of the game. We went on to score 88 points in regulation. The team played superbly from that point forward, showing their grit and perserverance. That game was our highest scoring output all season. I can't recall when we last won a game giving up 91 points, especially since being a 100% zone team. Prior to the game, if someone said Duke scored 91 points tonight against us, and that someone hadn't seen the game, etc., they would've presumed we would have lost, as most here would have.

It was a monumental win, no doubt...season changing. And, I would agree with JB that it was possibly the best regular season win ever for the program. But, just as JB also stated in the post game presser, Jones going down was a blow for sure, and he even mentioned if they had Reddish available, who knows if they come away with the W, or along those lines I recall. Reddish's replacement, White, went 0-10 from 3 land.

If we were down say Howard and Battle and or Hughes and Battle, or similar and got beat by a team, especially at home which was thought to be somewhat inferior, I don't think many here wouldn't argue...well it was because we didn't have so and so, etc.

This is true. However, at the same time, Duke became a much worse defensive team. Duke got off to that great start at 14-2, and a large part of it was due to Jones ability to defend. We had a few turnovers to start that game because of Jones' on ball pressure, and it set the tone early as our offense was completely out of sync. Even with JB putting up '17 point underdog's tonight' in the locker room for his team to see, and advising them this is what people currently think about you, they still came out and started the game badly.

After Jones went down, it did seem to change the complexion of the game. We went on to score 88 points in regulation. The team played superbly from that point forward, showing their grit and perserverance. That game was our highest scoring output all season. I can't recall when we last won a game giving up 91 points, especially since being a 100% zone team. Prior to the game, if someone said Duke scored 91 points tonight against us, and that someone hadn't seen the game, etc., they would've presumed we would have lost, as most here would have.

It was a monumental win, no doubt...season changing. And, I would agree with JB that it was possibly the best regular season win ever for the program. But, just as JB also stated in the post game presser, Jones going down was a blow for sure, and he even mentioned if they had Reddish available, who knows if they come away with the W, or along those lines I recall. Reddish's replacement, White, went 0-10 from 3 land.

If we were down say Howard and Battle and or Hughes and Battle, or similar and got beat by a team, especially at home which was thought to be somewhat inferior, I don't think many here wouldn't argue...well it was because we didn't have so and so, etc.

Do yourself a favor and look at Dukes season statistics instead of giving me talking points from Duke fans/media.

2018-19 Duke Blue Devils Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

White is nobodies replacement. He plays 27 MPG on the season. More than Reddish plays. Reddish shoots 36% for the season and is overall about as efficient as Brissett.

Jones is a good defender, but shoots 28% from 3. My argument is that while maybe their defense suffers I think they are harder to defend with O’Connell on the floor(37% 3 point shooter) than Jones. O’Connell scores 16 points and made 4 threes which Jones never would have done.

Do yourself a favor and look at Dukes season statistics instead of giving me talking points from Duke fans/media.

2018-19 Duke Blue Devils Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

White is nobodies replacement. He plays 27 MPG on the season. More than Reddish plays. Reddish shoots 36% for the season and is overall about as efficient as Brissett.

Jones is a good defender, but shoots 28% from 3. My argument is that while maybe their defense suffers I think they are harder to defend with O’Connell on the floor(37% 3 point shooter) than Jones. O’Connell scores 16 points and made 4 threes which Jones never would have done.

I did myself a favor with the data you provided as saw where Reddish averages 13 points a game to White's 6.
Interestingly, you didn't quote that. Additionally, as you pointed out, White does average about 2 minutes per game more then Reddish. Considering White's higher minutes combined with averaging less than 1/2 the amount of points as Reddish, he's far less efficient as well if comparing minutes played/points scored. In that regard, maybe it was not so coincidental that White went 0-10 from the 3 point line that game, not to mention on many WIDE open looks.

In any event, I wasn't implying that White was a scrub type, etc., and meant Reddish's replacement for that game.

I did myself a favor with the data you provided as saw where Reddish averages 13 points a game to White's 6.
Interestingly, you didn't quote that. Additionally, as you pointed out, White does average about 2 minutes per game then Reddish. Moreover, considering White's higher minutes combined with averaging more than 1/2 the amount of points as Reddish, he's far less efficient. in that regard, maybe it was not so coincidental that White went 0-10 from the 3 point line that game, not to mention on many WIDE open looks.

In any event, I wasn't implying that White was a scrub type, etc., and meant Reddish's replacement for that game.

Yeah great job by Reddish today. 1-11. The entire team can’t shoot. Period.

Yeah great job by Reddish today. 1-11. The entire team can’t shoot. Period.

Maybe true, but that wasn't the main argument as much as Jones' hounding D and ball pressure and how that changed the complexion of that game after his injury.

Did you happen to hear what G man said in the last 30 seconds of today's game when Jones was being subbed out? You'll love this. ;) He said; "Jones going down in that Syracuse game, you could just sense all of the air going out in the building, and that Duke just totally fell apart afterwards." Now, those are his words, and I realize he's a Duke homer. I don't believe that was the case at all, that they totally fell apart, but I do think it hampered their D.

Hunter on uva is legit and will dominate the middle of the zone imo

Maybe true, but that wasn't the main argument as much as Jones' hounding D and ball pressure and how that changed the complexion of that game after his injury.

Did you happen to hear what G man said in the last 30 seconds of today's game when Jones was being subbed out? You'll love this. ;) He said; "Jones going down in that Syracuse game, you could just sense all of the air going out in the building, and that Duke just totally fell apart afterwards." Now, those are his words, and I realize he's a Duke homer. I don't believe that was the case at all, that they totally fell apart.

You made my point with the media talking points.

Zion totally fell apart scoring 35 and O’Connell wasn’t bad ready to play coming in. Gminski needs to lose the earring. He’s pushing 60 FFS.

It wasn’t like we played perfect either. We only shot 43%.

Now that we seem to be gelling, as mentioned in another thread, are there any teams that you feel we couldn't at least be competitive with and have a chance to beat? Any particularly bad matchup problems?
Ummm yes

Now that we seem to be gelling, as mentioned in another thread, are there any teams that you feel we couldn't at least be competitive with and have a chance to beat? Any particularly bad matchup problems?
Virginia Tech for one.

Any team that has Tech in their name.

Virginia Tech apparently.

There is no way they play like that against us in the Dome or even on a neutral court.

That said I truly hope that is the last time we see them this year unless its Friday March 15 or Saturday March 16 in Charlotte.

Did you happen to hear what G man said in the last 30 seconds of today's game when Jones was being subbed out? You'll love this. ;) He said; "Jones going down in that Syracuse game, you could just sense all of the air going out in the building, and that Duke just totally fell apart afterwards." Now, those are his words, and I realize he's a Duke homer. I don't believe that was the case at all, that they totally fell apart, but I do think it hampered their D.

So Duke is that mentally soft? Good. Nice to have that on record.

Anyone who plays really intense D. We have no one who can get past a defender on their own... The teams who have beaten us took away the drives and movement. It’s what happens when you don’t have a point guard.

So Duke is that mentally soft? Good. Nice to have that on record.

Indeed. And, that rematch in the Dome come February is certain to be fantastic for all of us Orange fans because of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom