Anyone apathetic? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone apathetic?

That first group actually has a subgroup of fans who also demand that the team win games in aesthetically pleasing fashion.

Exactly ...the "run and gun" crowd" pine-ing for the good old days of Stevie Thompson breakaway dunks.

Yeah I know it’s shocking people want their entertainment dollars to actually you know entertain them.

If the choices are winning ugly or losing in fun fashion of course you take winning ugly. However wanting to be entertained isn’t a lot to be asking for.
I support the team. All I have said is that losing used to hurt a lot more right now I don’t get as down if we lose.
I agree with all of that. But understand that part of that losing not hurting as much comes with age. It really does. Whe I was younger, I could sell tickets to people to have them watch me watch the games. No kidding. I was exhausted after the games. I'm not like that anyone. Well, not as much anyway.

It hasn't been our style. It's been our talent. Or lack there of. Now, I wish that we ran up and down the floor like we once did. But because of the sanctions limiting our ships, when we have had kids leave early, we haven't had program guys to replace them. We have had inexperienced players. And really not that good of ones to boot. I love Syracuse sports. I have followed the football program for over 40 years. Most of that, we haven't been good. We have been so bad that back to back 4-8 seasons are treated like they were good. But I have always watched. I skip playing poker on Saturdays to watch. Vowing each week that this is the last time I am going to do this. Only to do it again the next week. Basketball over that 40 years has been wonderful. We are always good. Until lately. But even last year, we still beat some really good teams. And the year before, we went to the final four. This year isn't over. It doesn't look good. But I will watch every game. I owe the program that kind of loyalty for all of the joy they have given me since 1974
People are still loyal.
I am not upset at all with this season.
It is true I am realist and see where the program is after years of resolution clearing up.
I am just taking about playing style.
Our style even with good talent see 2013 or 2014 hasn’t been the prettiest to watch. We want to play ugly games. It works.

We have a 3 game losing streak: Game 1 St B , refs gave Cuse the gas pipe, IMO. Game 2, ND, couldn't score weak effort by the Orange. Game 3, Wahoo's ranked # 3 and at their house, who would expect a win in that one. Get a grip , stay calm, fan on.

It hasn't been our style. It's been our talent. Or lack there of. Now, I wish that we ran up and down the floor like we once did. But because of the sanctions limiting our ships, when we have had kids leave early, we haven't had program guys to replace them. We have had inexperienced players. And really not that good of ones to boot. I love Syracuse sports. I have followed the football program for over 40 years. Most of that, we haven't been good. We have been so bad that back to back 4-8 seasons are treated like they were good. But I have always watched. I skip playing poker on Saturdays to watch. Vowing each week that this is the last time I am going to do this. Only to do it again the next week. Basketball over that 40 years has been wonderful. We are always good. Until lately. But even last year, we still beat some really good teams. And the year before, we went to the final four. This year isn't over. It doesn't look good. But I will watch every game. I owe the program that kind of loyalty for all of the joy they have given me since 1974

Excellent post. This is pretty much what I was trying to say but failed miserably and came out with more of a hot take.

We have a 3 game losing streak: Game 1 St B , refs gave Cuse the gas pipe, IMO. Game 2, ND, couldn't score weak effort by the Orange. Game 3, Wahoo's ranked # 3 and at their house, who would expect a win in that one. Get a grip , stay calm, fan on.

Game 1 was Wake.

I didn't start this thread to complain about one portion of one season. We're not good this year...ok, whatever, it happens.

For the first time in my life, I didn't watch us play a highly ranked team...didn't make much of an effort to find the game, then when I couldn't, didn't pull it up on the WatchESPN app. I checked in on the score, saw it was close but deep down knew we'd eventually get beat. We did. I didn't care much.

It felt like how Syracuse Football feels to me. Thats not good. I've been trending this way in Cuse BBall for a while now.

Furthermore CBB might as well be minor league baseball with a better tournament and flashier names. The product is just awful.

CFB will eventually run into the same problem (on a much smaller scale) if they expand the Playoff. They've already made bowl season pointless. I don't even know that I watched any of them aside from Miami/Wisconsin. However, the season means something and a guy like Lamar Jackson was in school long enough to become a household name AND come back to play the next year.

Last edited:
I didn't start this thread to complain about one portion of one season. We're not good this year...ok, whatever, it happens.

For the first time in my life, I didn't watch us play a highly ranked team...didn't make much of an effort to find the game, then when I couldn't, didn't pull it up on the WatchESPN app. I checked in on the score, saw it was close but deep down knew we'd eventually get beat. We did. I didn't care much.

It felt like how Syracuse Football feels to me. Thats not good.

Furthermore CBB might as well be minor league baseball with a better tournament and flashier names. The product is just awful.

CFB will eventually run into the same problem (on a much smaller scale) if they expand the Playoff. They've already made bowl season pointless. I don't even know that I watched any of them aside from Miami/Wisconsin. However, the season means something and a guy like Lamar Jackson was in school long enough to become a household name AND come back to play the next year.
Do yourself a favor just let him say his words and don’t worry. His post doesn’t get your point.

A lot of truth to the fact that the only thing that matters is March. But that’s true in every sport — only the postseason counts.

The truth is also that you need to win during the regular season to position yourself for March.

We’re not doing a very good job of that lately — and that’s the frustrating part.
Disagree. In the NFL the season is only 16 game so every game matters so so much. College football literally has its regular season as a playoff as 1 or 2 losses and you possibly have no shot to win a championship. MLB only 1 wild card spot if you don't win your division. The regular season actually matters. In College basketball you can have a crappy 3 week stretch but if you still win 20 games most likely you make the field and are in the Big Dance. Literally for "most" of the big schools (Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC,..etc) the regular season is a glorified exhibition these days to get ready for March.

There used to be a day when if you won your conference tournament you would hang a banner in your arena to celebrate that, those days are long over! Because nobody cares anymore about a conference tournament championship.

And honestly the "positioning yourself for March" is also something the NCAA has changed and ruined. In the past they would seed you based on record and such. Now, in an effort to sell tickets and get people in the arenas they seed and try to place you to a closer site in "hope" you the school will travel fans to the Round 1 and 2 games to pack the place. So you might technically be a 5 seed but if we move you to the 3rd seed we can then place you in city X and you are closer to your home city and you will travel fans to the game and make us money and have more people in the arena, so yeah even that has been screwed up by the NCAA with how they host/seed the Round 1 and Round 2 games. So there is no positioning yourself for March anymore because the seeding is, well "Rigged."

The sport of college basketball is broken and nobody is trying to fix it. And it has nothing to do with kids jumping to the NBA at all. Shorten the season, limit the number of schools one conference can send to the NCAA Tournament at like 5 or 6...and then, AND ONLY THEN will you make the regular season matter again!

i no longer schedule around this team. if i can be doing something else productive and listening i'm happy.

It felt like how Syracuse Football feels to me. Thats not good. I've been trending this way in Cuse BBall for a while now.

I don't understand why you can't see that the sanctions exacted a price and is still not yet fully worked out. But it sounds like you no longer like CBB, so that is a whole other thing.

I don't understand why you can't see that the sanctions exacted a price and is still not yet fully worked out. But it sounds like you no longer like CBB, so that is a whole other thing.
I'm not as forgiving as you are. Read the recruiting board and listen to some of the podcasts dealing with the subject matter and while, yes, sanctions played a part, the coaching staff played much more of a part in being where we are today. They didn't have the luxury of missing on a lot due to the sanctions but the misses were bad...and numerous.

While I don't really enjoy CBB outside of March, I'll say this on Syracuse specifically. I don't like our style of play. I respect Boeheim but don't particularly like his style of coaching. I don't like playing 2-3 zone incessantly with the inability to change defense if only for a 1 or 2 trips to get a team out of rhythm. I don't like that teams can pass it around and play pattycake for 30 seconds while we stand around in defensive posture 10 feet from them waiting for them to initiate offense. I don't like that we recruit athletes over ball players. I don't like that we haven't adapted to basketball in 2010+... Allow me to go in:

Our "shooters" are guys who can get streaky and aren't dependable, lucky if we even have them. Why tf do we recruit a Matthew Moyer or Marek Dolezaj? They're great kids and a model citizens it seems but what do you do nowadays with a Forward who can't even shoot from the midrange!? Why are we recruiting these players? Oh, yea, I forgot...to play zone. Can we get a damn point guard!? Enough with the converting of 2g to play point...who does that besides us? Recruit shooters...for love of all that's good in this world...recruit some shooters. If we're going to play backwardsass basketball, at least get a post player with some skill... cool, we've got Pascal Chukwu who can barely dunk at 7'2. Why.. because of the zone again. Awesome.

Can't wait to tune in today to watch us run PnR with Frank and somebody who can't do anything with the ball outside of two feet 500 times...

Ok everybody knew this season we were going to be mediocre.

The most important reasonably attainable goal is to keep the streak alive.

After that, i want to see player development towards next season when things should be much better.

1. Can chuk keep improving ?
2. Will frank show potential to be an all acc pg next season ?
3. Is oshae really a budding superstar ?
4. Will hw be a contributor down the road ?
5. Can matt or marek find some o ?
6. Can sid get his health and show us what he can do ?
7. What is in ty's future ?

Plenty to keep me interested this season.

After that, i want to see player development towards next season when things should be much better.

miss the tourney last year. and are supposed to write this season off as a loss as well ? aren't you asking a bit much ?

I really wish College hoops added a Champions League style competition during the season to make it more relevant than just March.

If the NCAA said the Champions League games would be exempt each year and the conferences got the TV money from whomever bought the rights to the NCAA basketball Champions League then it could work. There are 32 conferences you give each conference 1 bid and then the more successful conferences would get more of the 32 other slots like the UEFA Champions League which cap 4 slots for the best league La Liga, BPL, Bundesliga.
So you would get 32 teams, then each of these conferences would get an additional ACC-3 B1G-3, PAC-3, Big XII-3, MWC-1, SEC-3, AAC-2, A-10-2, Big East-3, Missouri Valley-1, and give out the remaining 7 slots to the lower conferences.

You draw the 64 teams into 16 regions. You seed them 1-64 regardless of conferences and keep the top 16 apart. Play the 3 teams you are drawn into home/home. The group winner goes on, tiebreakers are head to head/if that doesn't decide the higher seed advances.

From there you get the 16 remaining teams and draw matchups. If you want 32 teams runner ups as well.
You give group winners home court and after that it’s just random so a midmajor could host Final 8 games as well.

Again, these games would have to be sprinkled in during the regular season from November till before March and the conference tournaments. It would affect 64 of the 320+ NCAA teams each year, but it would generate a crapload of money and would get fun matchups. The winning team would play 9 additional games during the season, and participating teams would play only a minimum of 6 more games under my format.

Conference play would matter a lot more as you would be playing to finish in champions league spots. Losing a game in January would have a double effect.

My nightmare scenario is that Marek, Oshae, and Battle ALL leave.

I'm not as forgiving as you are. Read the recruiting board and listen to some of the podcasts dealing with the subject matter and while, yes, sanctions played a part, the coaching staff played much more of a part in being where we are today. They didn't have the luxury of missing on a lot due to the sanctions but the misses were bad...and numerous.

While I don't really enjoy CBB outside of March, I'll say this on Syracuse specifically. I don't like our style of play. I respect Boeheim but don't particularly like his style of coaching. I don't like playing 2-3 zone incessantly with the inability to change defense if only for a 1 or 2 trips to get a team out of rhythm. I don't like that teams can pass it around and play pattycake for 30 seconds while we stand around in defensive posture 10 feet from them waiting for them to initiate offense. I don't like that we recruit athletes over ball players. I don't like that we haven't adapted to basketball in 2010+... Allow me to go in:

Our "shooters" are guys who can get streaky and aren't dependable, lucky if we even have them. Why tf do we recruit a Matthew Moyer or Marek Dolezaj? They're great kids and a model citizens it seems but what do you do nowadays with a Forward who can't even shoot from the midrange!? Why are we recruiting these players? Oh, yea, I forgot...to play zone. Can we get a damn point guard!? Enough with the converting of 2g to play point...who does that besides us? Recruit shooters...for love of all that's good in this world...recruit some shooters. If we're going to play backwardsass basketball, at least get a post player with some skill... cool, we've got Pascal Chukwu who can barely dunk at 7'2. Why.. because of the zone again. Awesome.

Can't wait to tune in today to watch us run PnR with Frank and somebody who can't do anything with the ball outside of two feet 500 times...

I'd like a few of your posts in this thread a 'Pretty Woman' "obscene" amount of times if I could. :)

The highlighted part of this particular post, is dead on, in my opinion too. It's so very convenient to put the lion's share on the sanctions, relative to our place on the totem pole over the past few years, but it's just absolving the symptoms of the underlying source.

If our zone was terrible basketball, Duke wouldn't have stole it and played it often this season. They are using it today to pound a Wake team we inexplicably lost to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom