Anyone apathetic? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone apathetic?

If our zone was terrible basketball, Duke wouldn't have stole it and played it often this season. They are using it today to pound a Wake team we inexplicably lost to.
Coach K clearly learned from JB.
I wish JB had learned offense from D’Antoni like K did.
Also zone is good for Duke because they are big, long, and very good offensively.

If our zone was terrible basketball, Duke wouldn't have stole it and played it often this season. They are using it today to pound a Wake team we inexplicably lost to.
No problem with the way they employ it - I wish we played it "often" too.

Coach K clearly learned from JB.
I wish JB had learned offense from D’Antoni like K did.
Also zone is good for Duke because they are big, long, and very good offensively.

Now if JB could only "learn" how to get them same type of studs from K that K gets, all things would be equal. :)

Now if JB could only "learn" how to get them same type of studs from K that K gets, all things would be equal. :)
If JB had this Duke team this year he would win a NC. No doubt.
Because he would play the zone exclusively and wouldn’t switch and be stubborn like K has been.

K is a good coach but the talent he has gotten he should have that success.
JB doesn’t get the top 10 recruits but when he does he is effective.
Give JB great personnel he is scary.

The current team has only 1 player who has played any real time in college basketball, Battle. The rest of the team are mostly first year players and the team itself has only played 17 games together. And they are working hard every day to improve. So, let's just turn our back on them because winning enough to make us feel pompous and proud or playing a flashy offensive style of ball that our video shaped expectations demand. I don't find that apathetic, I just find that pathetic.

You are such a better fan than everyone else!

If JB had this Duke team this year he would win a NC. No doubt.
Because he would play the zone exclusively and wouldn’t switch and be stubborn like K has been.

K is a good coach but the talent he has gotten he should have that success.
JB doesn’t get the top 10 recruits but when he does he is effective.
Give JB great personnel he is scary.

Yeah, the insane amount of talent over the years that K has had the luxury of having trumps JB's by a long shot. I recently noticed that Duke has 3 players committed for next year that are in the top 8, including the number 1 recruit in the land. GROSS!

Yeah, the insane amount of talent over the years that K has had the luxury of having trumps JB's by a long shot. I recently noticed that Duke has 3 players committed for next year that are in the top 8, including the number 1 recruit in the land. GROSS!

And he will still play 7, and they will probably still suck on defense.

Stop going to Duke, kids! It’s not that special.

I didn't start this thread to complain about one portion of one season. We're not good this year...ok, whatever, it happens.

For the first time in my life, I didn't watch us play a highly ranked team...didn't make much of an effort to find the game, then when I couldn't, didn't pull it up on the WatchESPN app. I checked in on the score, saw it was close but deep down knew we'd eventually get beat. We did. I didn't care much.

It felt like how Syracuse Football feels to me. Thats not good. I've been trending this way in Cuse BBall for a while now.

Furthermore CBB might as well be minor league baseball with a better tournament and flashier names. The product is just awful.

CFB will eventually run into the same problem (on a much smaller scale) if they expand the Playoff. They've already made bowl season pointless. I don't even know that I watched any of them aside from Miami/Wisconsin. However, the season means something and a guy like Lamar Jackson was in school long enough to become a household name AND come back to play the next year.

The bowl season was made pointless when it expand to include most of the division. Bowls used to be about the best teams in the country playing each other. Now they may as well have 65 bowl games so everyone can play in one. The NCAA tournament is similarly bloated. if they gave bids only to conference champions, the regular season would take on a whole new meaning. They could give bids only to regular season champions and conference tournament winners. They could give bids only to teams that finish in the top 4 of the power conferences, the top three of the level before that, the top 2 of others and the top team in the lesser ones, plus the tournament champions. the point is, if you use the conferences to determine NCAA invitations, the regular season would become a lot more interesting.

What good does this kvetching do, the players know they are failing and have to try harder.

What good does twisting posts to say something weird like “you are pompously turning your back on them” just because some frustrated fans are being honest about having a hard time enjoying what they’re watching do?

Obviously the people posting on Syracuse basketball message boards everyday are not “turning their backs”’on anything, and there’s plenty of butts in the seats at the Dome. The fan loyalty for this program is phenomenal.

No problem with the way they employ it - I wish we played it "often" too.

The difference between our zone and Duke's is the activity. Duke is all over the ball at the top. They come out and harass the shooters. Wish we that against KU.

I didn’t realize how good Jayson Tatum actually was. He was wasted at Duke.
That team had no business losing to South Carolina last year.
With all that talent.

He could’ve been Carmelo elsewhere.

The difference between our zone and Duke's is the activity. Duke is all over the ball at the top. They come out and harass the shooters. Wish we that against KU.

I saw Duke play a lot of zone against FSU and give up like 90 points.

I'm still obsessed enough to watch every minute of every game, but i do care less about the outcomes. And, i've usually got spider solitaire going on the iPad at some point during the games.

I'm sick of the "sanctions" excuse. One day, when i have an extra five hours, i'll sit down and compare the aggregate rankings of recruits we have versus the teams we play. My feeling is that, unless we're playing a blue blood, we have better people on our roster than the other guys, at least as they come out of high school. Once they get here, though, that's the thing. I think other coaches get more out of middling talent than we do. Our middling guys retain certain 'incompetencies.' Other teams middling guys get them drilled out, and/or have schemes designed to minimize their exposure.

I'm not as forgiving as you are. Read the recruiting board and listen to some of the podcasts dealing with the subject matter and while, yes, sanctions played a part, the coaching staff played much more of a part in being where we are today. They didn't have the luxury of missing on a lot due to the sanctions but the misses were bad...and numerous.

While I don't really enjoy CBB outside of March, I'll say this on Syracuse specifically. I don't like our style of play. I respect Boeheim but don't particularly like his style of coaching. I don't like playing 2-3 zone incessantly with the inability to change defense if only for a 1 or 2 trips to get a team out of rhythm. I don't like that teams can pass it around and play pattycake for 30 seconds while we stand around in defensive posture 10 feet from them waiting for them to initiate offense. I don't like that we recruit athletes over ball players. I don't like that we haven't adapted to basketball in 2010+... Allow me to go in:

Our "shooters" are guys who can get streaky and aren't dependable, lucky if we even have them. Why tf do we recruit a Matthew Moyer or Marek Dolezaj? They're great kids and a model citizens it seems but what do you do nowadays with a Forward who can't even shoot from the midrange!? Why are we recruiting these players? Oh, yea, I forgot...to play zone. Can we get a damn point guard!? Enough with the converting of 2g to play point...who does that besides us? Recruit shooters...for love of all that's good in this world...recruit some shooters. If we're going to play backwardsass basketball, at least get a post player with some skill... cool, we've got Pascal Chukwu who can barely dunk at 7'2. Why.. because of the zone again. Awesome.

Can't wait to tune in today to watch us run PnR with Frank and somebody who can't do anything with the ball outside of two feet 500 times...
Righteous

duke doesn't recruit for the zone. instead they take the top players. what a concept.

One of my complaints is that SU has 5 players on the floor but only 3 are allowed to shoot outside of 2 feet. Makes it much easier with 5 on 3. That falls on JB as you always see him pull Moyer if he misses a shot. I'm ready for JB to retire so I can see a different style with an arsenal of defensive formations. So many teams play a two/three now a days that it is no longer unique. Teams know how to beat it now.

This is a problem and has been for years. It's not a one-on-one kind of game anymore, where only your designated scorers are allowed to shoot the ball. Your bigs have to be able to make a play and be a threat to score.

He destroys the confidence of too many of his big men, for just wanting to try to score.

I'm as frustrated as anyone with our offense but I still get excited to watch every game. I can't imagine having a game and not watching because I don't care. After 40 years of excellence I can show a little loyalty through some struggling. But every fan base has fair weather fans.

You should have season tickets in a bad winter and go through the grind of bad games from late November through the holidays, when the place feels like an airplane hangar. Then you'll know how sometimes it's hard to get excited about the games when we can be so ugly to watch. At least get out and run. I'm willing to accept some turnovers to be more fun to watch. He's gotten so predictable and conservative offensively as a coach.

It's not being a "fairweather fan" to be sad to admit you don't care anymore. Clearly I post on the Syracuse Messageboard so it's not like I decided we suck, I'm going to find another team to pull for. Many of you know I'm a die hard Bills fan - I know what it's like to root endlessly for an awful football team.

Believe me, I wish I cared but I can't get myself to do it anymore. Maybe it has to do with living in the south where it's 60 degrees many days in the winter so it's not the only thing I look forward to (I say that since some of you mentioned the winters in Syracuse). ...but I don't think that's it. I'll always be a fan a Cuse Football and I try to watch games but I've been broken in my fandom there for a while. Unfortunately the same can be said for Cuse Basketball now. The only thing that matters in CBB is March Madness and if you're not going to the dance as a P5, you might as well close up shop. Those F4 runs were awesome and I went nuts, but the seasons sucked. Now the seasons suck and we aren't going to the dance. Never mind the fact our brand of basketball is a joke.

We recruit athletes, not ball players, yet don't play athletic basketball. We let every team we play dictate tempo. Our offense looks like an HS JV team and half the squad is afraid of getting benched ever year. Why tf does anyone want to watch that? Like someone above said, either be successful or be fun to watch...you can't be neither. This is now Year 2 of "neither" going on Year 5 or 6 of not being fun to watch.

I also used to watch big CBB games and looked forward to whoever was on Big Monday. Guess how much I care about CBB outside of Syracuse? Nada...until March Madness. So maybe it's not just a Syracuse issue but a CBB issue in which Syracuse is exacerbating the problem.

I'm proud to rep Syracuse. I have a framed Carrier Dome panorama in my office, Syracuse football helmet paper weights and Cuse coasters for my Agency. But, at some point, we need to look at ourselves, as a program, and decide if we want to be big boys or not. We've become a middle of the pack ACC Basketball program and a bottom of the barrel P5 Football Program. When people like me start to lose interest, then imagine how the actual fair weather fans feel.

I posted this thread because I'm worried. I'm worried about our 2 major programs and I'm worried that I've become apathetic. It's not a good feeling and I wish I didn't feel this way...I really do. This isn't a "look at me" post. This is me letting y'all know that I'm sad I feel this way but I think more and more do each year.

Its not apathy, its when its too painful to watch because you care too much.

Its not apathy, its when its too painful to watch because you care too much.
That's actually pretty funny.

I hate to admit this but I just don't care about this season.

CBB is losing its luster anyway given March Madness being the "end all be all" and zero familiarity with name players in the one and done/two and though era.

I didn't even watch the UVA game (uh, was it even on tv? I looked for a minute, couldn't find it, gave up and went out).

I've never been like this towards Cuse BBall in my life, but lately, I'm just bored. Bored with the stagnant offense. Bored with the zone defense. Bored of irrelevancy.

I really, really hope we're back next year because I'm entering Cuse Football level apathy.

I don't know if it's Syracuse, CBB in general, or both, because I never watch any other CBB games anymore. I watch non-Cuse CFB, along with the NBA and NFL but CBB.. meh.

To borrow the tree falling in the woods analogy, I just feel like if you have a CBB program and don't make the NCAAT, does it even exist?

I’m the other way around: I still watch SU mostly out of nostalgia and just pure love for SU. But it is really mostly painful for many reasons as you have listed out. As for other CBB...haven’t watched a game SYR wasn’t playing in for 3-4 years. Maybe caught a tourney game on in a bar or something, but nothing scheduled or intentional. CBB just isn’t that good anymore IMO.

Bring on the NBA.

44cuse

I’m the other way around: I still watch SU mostly out of nostalgia and just pure love for SU. But it is really mostly painful for many reasons as you have listed out. As for other CBB...haven’t watched a game SYR wasn’t playing in for 3-4 years. Maybe caught a tourney game on in a bar or something, but nothing scheduled or intentional. CBB just isn’t that good anymore IMO.

Bring on the NBA.

44cuse

So how do you know it's unwatchable if you only watch our games? It's not as good as it used to be with all the guys leaving early but there are a lot of enjoyable games out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom