Anyone apathetic? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone apathetic?

Seems pretty obvious that the key to fewer possessions and low scoring game is based upon SU on the offensive zone going deep into the clock as we try to get a good shot and teams on the other end struggling against the SU zone which is pretty good this year.

Average longer possessions divided into 40 minutes means fewer possessions for both teams.

I remember the times in the past where when we played against teams that employed those strategies. Those were summarily mocked by most here.

And now we are what we used to mock.

Disagree. In the NFL the season is only 16 game so every game matters so so much. College football literally has its regular season as a playoff as 1 or 2 losses and you possibly have no shot to win a championship. MLB only 1 wild card spot if you don't win your division. The regular season actually matters. In College basketball you can have a crappy 3 week stretch but if you still win 20 games most likely you make the field and are in the Big Dance. Literally for "most" of the big schools (Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC,..etc) the regular season is a glorified exhibition these days to get ready for March.

There used to be a day when if you won your conference tournament you would hang a banner in your arena to celebrate that, those days are long over! Because nobody cares anymore about a conference tournament championship.

And honestly the "positioning yourself for March" is also something the NCAA has changed and ruined. In the past they would seed you based on record and such. Now, in an effort to sell tickets and get people in the arenas they seed and try to place you to a closer site in "hope" you the school will travel fans to the Round 1 and 2 games to pack the place. So you might technically be a 5 seed but if we move you to the 3rd seed we can then place you in city X and you are closer to your home city and you will travel fans to the game and make us money and have more people in the arena, so yeah even that has been screwed up by the NCAA with how they host/seed the Round 1 and Round 2 games. So there is no positioning yourself for March anymore because the seeding is, well "Rigged."

The sport of college basketball is broken and nobody is trying to fix it. And it has nothing to do with kids jumping to the NBA at all. Shorten the season, limit the number of schools one conference can send to the NCAA Tournament at like 5 or 6...and then, AND ONLY THEN will you make the regular season matter again!

Honestly this reg. season point is the CBB version of "NBA players don't care and play no defense" guy. Mostly folks who want to not like something and think of lazy reasons to explain it.

National Champions are pretty much always teams who were elite all season long. There are exceptions like Uconn x2 just like there are exceptions like NYG x2 & Ravens in the NFL. The difference is the Giants point gets reverse engineered into "great defense, clutch team" nonsensical narrative as opposed to the total fluke that they were (see their negative point differential in '11, which amazingly was probably better than their '07 team). Same with the baseball Giants and that Cardinals team that won 83 games in a garbage division. Of course the nature of luck in baseball/hockey make their postseasons a joke in the first place but perhaps that is a separate topic somewhat.

Not to be a CBB apologist as I agree w/ many of the complaints itt [I do think 1&done's are the biggest factor by a lot along with meaningless superconferences]..

You wrote, "They often pass back and forth around the perimeter with no sense of urgency, no purpose, ..."

You might want to modify your statement to read " At least to me, They appear to pass back and forth around the perimeter with no sense of urgency, no purpose, ..."

The purpose is pretty obvious, I think. As to a state of "urgency", why would that be appropriate and how can you tell, anyway?

Anyone who has watched this year's team knows that there aren't a lot of options here that those doing the passing have any faith in.

I won’t modify because I wrote what I see. It’s obvious that MANY possessions are exactly what I wrote. No movement and players just playing catch around the perimeter. Then you get a contested shot or a drive into traffic. It’s getting embarrassing as well seeing Tyus or Frank pointing to/asking for a screen possession after possession. Do they even practice offense, lol?!

As for urgency. That’s it in a nutshell. No urgency to make a play, timid play, lack of aptitude, whatever. Are we really supposed to be launching/settling to beat the shot clock?! This has happened routinely throughout the season against some bad defensive teams.

Last edited:
I was given a pair of free tickets to last night's game and my wife and I couldn't be bothered to drag our carcasses to the Hill. Sure, the 9pm start time made a factor with that, as did the weather, but it just goes to show how mediocre SU bball has been this season.

Literally ANY other season, I get a free pair of SU tickets and I'm all over that.

Same happened with me. The time was a big factor but the slop on the floor was probably the other half.

It's not just boring, it's also bad most of the time. Turnovers, bricks, misses layups/dunks, etc and that's when we actually attempt to do something instead of draining the clock and passing the ball around 25 feet from the basket...

Townie seems to think we work a defense to get a good shot. Like UVA or Michigan. Probe the defense, move the ball, don’t stand around so that a teammate gets a good shot, lol. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

Last edited:
It also doesn't help that Chukwu is his only interior option. He can make great pass after great pass, but PC catching the ball cleanly, not travelling and then converting is a dicey proposition. I think we'd be much better against a zone if BS got more run, or even if MM was in for PC. Can't keep trying to get the ball to a kid that struggles so much with it in his hands. MD knows exactly what he is doing against the zone, but his skills and the skills around him don't allow for much success it appears.

This is an excellent point, Dolezaj should probably have had 3-5 additional assists that his teammates especially Chukwu couldn't convert on. I think he missed at least 2-3 layups off of feeds from Dolezaj. Chukwu's being asked to do a lot of things I am sure JB didn't plan on having him do at the start of the season but he HAS to finish better around the rim.

This is an excellent point, Dolezaj should probably have had 3-5 additional assists that his teammates especially Chukwu couldn't convert on. I think he missed at least 2-3 layups off of feeds from Dolezaj. Chukwu's being asked to do a lot of things I am sure JB didn't plan on having him do at the start of the season but he HAS to finish better around the rim.

Listening to that presser, I don't think JB expects Chukwu to get any better with this. "He's just not tough in there." Or words to that effect.

Townie seems to think we work a defense to get a good shot. Like UVA or Michigan. Probe the defense, move the ball, don’t stand around so that a teammate gets a good shot, lol. That couldn’t be further from the truth.
We did have some decent movement when Howie was in. How JB can't see this is really disturbing.

Now that Chukwu has become a more consistent FT shooter, I am actually looking forward to his further development in the off season. Obviously needs to get a lot stronger and learn not to dribble when thrown the ball. He plays 7'2 on defense, now he needs to learn how to play it on offense.

We did have some decent movement when Howie was in. How JB can't see this is really disturbing.
He had no problem subbing him in for TB for three minutes in the first half and then he had the three guards play all together for three minutes. Frank Howard was playing well so he didn't pull him and then TB got his game going better in the 2nd half so he didn't pull him then. It's baby steps.

Now that Chukwu has become a more consistent FT shooter, I am actually looking forward to his further development in the off season. Obviously needs to get a lot stronger and learn not to dribble when thrown the ball. He plays 7'2 on defense, now he needs to learn how to play it on offense.

The kid has come a long way. I can’t remember if it was last night or one of the prior two games but he had a really sweet reverse layup. Like you said he needs to play 7’2 on offense. He’s just too finesse right now I think like JB said. He has really good agility but not much lift. Yeah, the FT line transformation is amazing.

Townie doesn't watch the games. While the game is on he will be reading JBs book though, and that's all that matters.

Well, you just provided the answer for why I stopped watching the NBA years ago. Talk about a meaningless regular season.

The NBA has had an 82 game regular season since the 1967-68 season, and then an 80 game season before that dating back to the 1961-62 season. When did you consider the NBA regular not meaningless? Only asking because it's been in it's current form for over a half-century.

(I absolutely agree that the regular season is way too long. I think it should be about 50 games, and then a 5-5-5-5 playoffs.)

i watched 1st half last night and went to bed. 9pm is too late to watch SU/PITT. gimme sleep.

i watched 1st half last night and went to bed. 9pm is too late to watch SU/PITT. gimme sleep.
The NBA has had an 82 game regular season since the 1967-68 season, and then an 80 game season before that dating back to the 1961-62 season. When did you consider the NBA regular not meaningless? Only asking because it's been in it's current form for over a half-century.

(I absolutely agree that the regular season is way too long. I think it should be about 50 games, and then a 5-5-5-5 playoffs.)

I’m just flat out bored with the NBA. I’ve felt that way for about 25 years.

Different strokes; I'm loving the NBA right now

I was able to look at (metaphorically speaking) through the eyes of my 14-year old kid who also loves all basketball (and who scored 16 points in a win for HS frosh team yesterday). His love of the sport, and the incredibly high level of play in the NBA, was helpful in showing me the glory of the way they play these days. So much talent right now.

If you're a doctor who had to be in the OR at 7:00 AM we're proud of you.
Otherwise, you need to slog through it with the rest of us. :)

I was able to look at (metaphorically speaking) through the eyes of my 14-year old kid who also loves all basketball (and who scored 16 points in a win for HS frosh team yesterday). His love of the sport, and the incredibly high level of play in the NBA, was helpful in showing me the glory of the way they play these days. So much talent right now.

It's just like when I watch an SU game I'm surprised when they score, and when I watch the NBA, I'm surprised when they don't. Obviously it's an exaggeration, but my point stands.

It's just like when I watch an SU game I'm surprised when they score, and when I watch the NBA, I'm surprised when they don't. Obviously it's an exaggeration, but my point stands.

Absolutely.

Listening to that presser, I don't think JB expects Chukwu to get any better with this. "He's just not tough in there." Or words to that effect.
He added that Chukwu needs to get an edge to his game.

Might be just me but I find a lot of these comments or questions were addressed by JB in his presser.

Absolutely.
It's just amazing, even some of the down the bench guys in the NBA will pull off moves or finishes in the lane that I would be stunned to see any of our guys pull off.

And I'm not trying to kill our guys.

It's just amazing, even some of the down the bench guys in the NBA will pull off moves or finishes in the lane that I would be stunned to see any of our guys pull off.

And I'm not trying to kill our guys.

The long threes that barely move the net are the amazing things for me. Hands in their faces, off the bounce, running full speed, it really doesn't matter.

Then again, I fancy myself a shooter, so seeing these guys do it with so much consistency is what amazes me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom