Anyone else wondering why the dome needs to be replaced today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else wondering why the dome needs to be replaced today

We do not
know all of what is going on here. I for one like the on campus location of the dome as when I come (season tickets) to a game it is also a return to my campus and not a cow pasture as is Penn State. People seem to find tail Gating locations to have fun and the Sheraton tail gate is fun also. Lastly there is something to be said for owning your own joint! Renovate as much as possible.

Nothing prettier than driving up south of Syracuse on 81 and seeing the Dome in the distance.

Gross wants a sit-down restaurant where you can watch the SU away games, and he can sell you a $44 Heisman Hamburger with Floyd Fries. You can wash it down with a signature cocktail like the Mac Margarita or Powell Punch.
And that's wrong because...why?

im not sure what complaints we have that people dont have in most every stadium. concourses too small? where are they not. food choices have nothing to do with a new stadium. all a new stadium gets is additional room for fancy boxes and perhaps parking. I parked at manley and i was in my car by 9:20 and i didnt leave until the court was empty and people were filling out. 10% of the people at SU want to tailgate so more room for that is not going to do much for most of the crowd.

places like Yankee stadium are new and you couldnt move when we played the bowl game so whats wrong with that concourse its huge.

i wonder things they fix if we get a new stadium or do we have the same issues? I have spent more time sitting in line getting in and out the state fairgrounds than most times going to the dome.

they could fix the seats issues without a new bldg. they could redo the court layout without a new stadium too.

A new stadium, like the new Yankee stadium, wouldn't be so much for us as for those who want luxury boxes and club seats. It's about generating more revenue than they currently can. The Dome works well. They can get down to 44K by just replacing the benches with seats. They can widen the aisles with less seats. Concourses we'd have to live with but with a smaller capacity, it would be somewhat less of a problem. The one thing that they can't do is add new suites and club seats.

A new stadium, like the new Yankee stadium, wouldn't be so much for us as for those who want luxury boxes and club seats. It's about generating more revenue than they currently can. The Dome works well. They can get down to 44K by just replacing the benches with seats. They can widen the aisles with less seats. Concourses we'd have to live with but with a smaller capacity, it would be somewhat less of a problem. The one thing that they can't do is add new suites and club seats.

Syracuse is not a suite and club seat kind of city.

I remember people saying leaving Manley Field House would kill the program. How did that turn out?

do they even sell the ones they have now? i think they should spend some money and see if they swing the court just how much of a change they can make to site lines. would more suites have good basketball site lines? would more of the sidelines create better view for more people? the original dome/curtain never expected crowds to be 35K. if you were at a 20K all the time all is fine. I still think you can spin the court 90 degrees move to mid field. use the roll out bleachers, figure out how to do the same on the other end with some built structure and you would have 30-35K of better seats. the long range go away and you have way more seats you can sell at $50 and you might even be able to sell upperdeck seats all the way around..

A dump? It's not like there's falling concrete or busted windows and doors. It looks just as good as it did when it opened in 1980.
Georgia Dome opened in 1992 and is being torn down already and replaced with a new stadium. These buildings don't last forever. And the Dome has far more wear and tear than the Georgia Dome. Do it now or do it later, the Dome needs to be replaced at some point.

Nothing prettier than driving up south of Syracuse on 81 and seeing the Dome in the distance.
Even if they keep the Dome and renovate it that view is going away. The roof won't be replaced with a similar white inflatable top...but a a stadium type roof.

Syracuse is not a suite and club seat kind of city.
When I go to the Bills games we always get tickets for the Jim Kelly club. There is also the Van Miller club and the Paul Maguire club. I couldn't tell you how the Bills do with their suites and club seats but it's a great way to watch a football game.
http://getbillstickets.com/premium_club_seats/sideline

But if it looks as good as it did when it opened, the current year is irrelevant.

The Dome looks better than it did when it opened...to the fans. I'm sure the back end side of things don't measure up with newer stadia...the communications systems, the locker rooms, the food service areas, etc. but SU has worked hard to dress it up with high def screens, ribbon advertising, banners, wall padding, paint here and there, better sound systems, removing the center roof panels etc. (side note: remember how there used to be a cloud of smoke hovering over the field by halftime from all of the people smoking in the Dome?)

Just the same, the University has said they want the land for academic purposes. They must had dome the math, and figured out that it's better to replace soon - with a lease situation - than to renovate. I think the Dome could easily go another ten or 15 years. But it won't because they don't want it to.

Improvement could be had by dome management not putting mobile concessions at choke points. It's does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out, plus you don't need a pepsi or beer vendor every 15 ft.

I agree but it seems the Dome is more focused on maximizing concession dollars versus the congestion problem. I entered in the upper deck last night and it was a big mistake. Worst congestion I've seen. Maybe less mobile vendors would slightly improve it.

Well the university has stated that they want the land that the dome sits on for academic buildings. They have also said privately that they are done putting money into a 34 year old facility that needs millions of dollars to bring it up to current stadium standards. SU wants an off campus facility, and with the pull that they have in this town, I fully expect that they get one sooner rather than later.

they need to work with Disney type operations , much of the problem is letting people go every which direction in the concourses. add to that no organized lines in the food areas so people have to cut between..

Have you guys been to a facility built in the last 2-3 years? Everything, sans history could and would be improved on (and maybe parking). Food, seats, noise, AC... Could be built to showcase the history. It's really no contest that it would be better. You could build a mini-Seattle experience noise-wise. Don't let the nostalgia and recent atmosphere cloud what could be a huge leap for the program but also game day experience. State of the art locker rooms... List goes on.

The Dome looks better than it did when it opened...to the fans. I'm sure the back end side of things don't measure up with newer stadia...the communications systems, the locker rooms, the food service areas, etc. but SU has worked hard to dress it up with high def screens, ribbon advertising, banners, wall padding, paint here and there, better sound systems, removing the center roof panels etc. (side note: remember how there used to be a cloud of smoke hovering over the field by halftime from all of the people smoking in the Dome?)

Just the same, the University has said they want the land for academic purposes. They must had dome the math, and figured out that it's better to replace soon - with a lease situation - than to renovate. I think the Dome could easily go another ten or 15 years. But it won't because they don't want it to.

I think you've been misinformed.

The school has never said that. A couple posters have speculated that that's the case. Enormous difference.

I heard first hand from a client that works for su. I won't say who and what he does but he would know. He said that the land is more valuable for academics and it's a matter of time before the dome is removed. He told me that two years ago. Don't think this new stadium has come out of the blue this has been in the works for a long time.

Hate to break it to people but su is a school which prides itself on academics. Football and basketball are side projects. The dome sits on a piece of property that could hold a bunch of buildings that would bring a ton of money into the university through its students.

Hate to break it to people but su is a school which prides itself on academics. Football and basketball are side projects. The dome sits on a piece of property that could hold a bunch of buildings that would bring a ton of money into the university through its students.
You are correct about academics being first. However their is a strong chance the Dome gets another 15 years

A dump? It's not like there's falling concrete or busted windows and doors. It looks just as good as it did when it opened in 1980.

You can't move thru the hallways, bathrooms are impossible and concession lines block the hallways. In terms of the flow of people it cod be done so much better, which would help improve the overall experience.

upperdeck said:
do they even sell the ones they have now? i think they should spend some money and see if they swing the court just how much of a change they can make to site lines. would more suites have good basketball site lines? would more of the sidelines create better view for more people? the original dome/curtain never expected crowds to be 35K. if you were at a 20K all the time all is fine. I still think you can spin the court 90 degrees move to mid field. use the roll out bleachers, figure out how to do the same on the other end with some built structure and you would have 30-35K of better seats. the long range go away and you have way more seats you can sell at $50 and you might even be able to sell upperdeck seats all the way around..

The private boxes are all sold, there is a long waiting list to get one and the university has made several changes in recent years to create a couple of new ones. When the new Dome is built. It will have many more private boxes, especially on the basketball side, just like any modern facility and they will generate a lot more revenue and help pay the university's share of construction costs.

Thats BS expect dome renovations to be a very strong option

OK... Where are the new academic buildings going to be built? Are they making more land?

I'm not an engineer and don't know how solid the infrastructure is along with what has to be done with the roof. If those two are solid, I'd like to see them use some vision to improve the inside and outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom