Anyone else wondering why the dome needs to be replaced today | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else wondering why the dome needs to be replaced today

Dome was the star of espn all day. Why don't we want to keep it? What the f
yes yes yes, but maybe no.

Yes for all the usual reasons we agree on with this. No if because as the only air supported dome left in the world (or so I was told here), when it comes times for the inevitable roof repair/replacement none will be available? Again or so I hear. If not true then keep the dang place for as long as reasonably possible.

A brand new, state of the art stadium would have been the star of the day too.
State of the art yes, is that what we would be getting?
State of the art is what they have in Seattle, Philly and Foxborough.

Thought Boeheim was going to blow his when he started talking about it at the press conference. "If anything happens to my dome, if perhaps a cop shoots it or even if it is hit by a bolt of lightning, I'm going to blame some of the people in this room...then...I will not forgive."

State of the art yes, is that what we would be getting?
State of the art is what they have in Seattle, Philly and Foxborough.
Is a retractable roof still an option? That's pretty crazy for a college stadium.

It needs to be replaced because it's a dump today and will be worse in 10 years, it's a dump and dated. Either that or serious renovations. All these old stadiums that people like to discuss have undergone major renovations at some point, the dome is almost 35 years old and never truly been renovated. It's a dump.

I'm fine renovating it but it won't prove cost effective and the university wants the land. Just because it had 35 k for a basketball game doesn't mean it doesn't need to be replaced or major renovations.

The biggest improvement would be wider concourses. However, I don't think all that concrete can be knocked down and shifted. No room to move the Dome footprint.

The dome doesnt neccessarily need replacing. It does need some updates though. The citrus bowl, notre lame, etc are currently upgrading to the tune f 200+ Million. The thopught must be that, hey if theres state money available, or private money available, for the same 200M, plus other funding sources we can get something brand new. Honestly, if that new dome means a rejuvination for our football program, than i am all for it.

im not sure what complaints we have that people dont have in most every stadium. concourses too small? where are they not. food choices have nothing to do with a new stadium. all a new stadium gets is additional room for fancy boxes and perhaps parking. I parked at manley and i was in my car by 9:20 and i didnt leave until the court was empty and people were filling out. 10% of the people at SU want to tailgate so more room for that is not going to do much for most of the crowd.

places like Yankee stadium are new and you couldnt move when we played the bowl game so whats wrong with that concourse its huge.

i wonder things they fix if we get a new stadium or do we have the same issues? I have spent more time sitting in line getting in and out the state fairgrounds than most times going to the dome.

they could fix the seats issues without a new bldg. they could redo the court layout without a new stadium too.

It's ridiculous. The Dome is unique and sets us apart from everyone else. For football there's not a bad seat in the house, and it can be every bit as loud as the monster state school stadiums.

For hoops, there's plenty of mediocre programs with nice, new arenas(Maryland comes to mind). It's a huge recruiting tool and can provide a completely unique atmosphere that can't be replicated anywhere else. The Dome is Syracuse sports.

I still think if they would just spend the money to get rid of the silver seats and perhaps paint some of the concrete the place would look dramatically different . if they plan on a new stadium there is reason they will get 20-30 years out of that any more than what they get now.. you look at the places that get redone and its usually because its falling apart due to weather issues. is that really a problem here?

We do not know all of what is going on here. I for one like the on campus location of the dome as when I come (season tickets) to a game it is also a return to my campus and not a cow pasture as is Penn State. People seem to find tail Gating locations to have fun and the Sheraton tail gate is fun also. Lastly there is something to be said for owning your own joint! Renovate as much as possible.

The biggest improvement would be wider concourses. However, I don't think all that concrete can be knocked down and shifted. No room to move the Dome footprint.
Improvement could be had by dome management not putting mobile concessions at choke points. It's does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out, plus you don't need a pepsi or beer vendor every 15 ft.

Gross wants a sit-down restaurant where you can watch the SU away games, and he can sell you a $44 Heisman Hamburger with Floyd Fries. You can wash it down with a signature cocktail like the Mac Margarita or Powell Punch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom