anyone here from the Plano-Dallas Texas area? | Syracusefan.com

anyone here from the Plano-Dallas Texas area?

Marsh01

Living Legend
my son is doing an internship with the North Texas PGA from January to mid may. Ive only been to Houston once for like 2 days so I am unfamiliar with the area. Probably going to be living in Plano.

I lived there for five years but that was almost 20 years ago. My sister still lives down there and we visit about once a year.
That whole area changes pretty quickly but I might be able to provide some answers to some of your questions.

I could go for a Whataburger right now.

my son is doing an internship with the North Texas PGA from January to mid may. Ive only been to Houston once for like 2 days so I am unfamiliar with the area. Probably going to be living in Plano.
yep, lived in Plano from 92-96, now back near DFW airport for the last few years. Plano has built up an area referred to as the Shops of Legacy, not surprisingly a retail hub with all sorts of residential options around that area. There is also Frisco right next door which has been one of the fastest growing cities in the country for a while now. Stars and Cowboys practice facilities are there, and the Cowboys facility hosts high school playoffs for regional events. There is also the Toyota soccer complex with what seems like 100 soccer fields outside where the Dallas FC play home games in Frisco. I think the PGA office is considered north dallas, also a good area for young professionals, or if he wanted to stay near downtown and commute north, Victory park where American Airlines arena where the Stars and Mavs play is a great area too. I could go on, let me know what specific questions you have and I'll try to answer.

yep, lived in Plano from 92-96, now back near DFW airport for the last few years. Plano has built up an area referred to as the Shops of Legacy, not surprisingly a retail hub with all sorts of residential options around that area. There is also Frisco right next door which has been one of the fastest growing cities in the country for a while now. Stars and Cowboys practice facilities are there, and the Cowboys facility hosts high school playoffs for regional events. There is also the Toyota soccer complex with what seems like 100 soccer fields outside where the Dallas FC play home games in Frisco. I think the PGA office is considered north dallas, also a good area for young professionals, or if he wanted to stay near downtown and commute north, Victory park where American Airlines arena where the Stars and Mavs play is a great area too. I could go on, let me know what specific questions you have and I'll try to answer.
Thank you! Will probably have more as this process escalates

That’s funny you mentioned the Shops at Legacy. When I first moved down to TX in the late 90’s, I worked for EDS and, at the time, there wasn’t a whole lot up there beyond the EDS campus and a bunch of grazing cows.

That’s funny you mentioned the Shops at Legacy. When I first moved down to TX in the late 90’s, I worked for EDS and, at the time, there wasn’t a whole lot up there beyond the EDS campus and a bunch of grazing cows.
My wife was an early EDS recruit straight from the SUNY Albany business school. That's what brought us here originally, she worked in the original Forest Lane HQ. There was a 9 hole golf course on the property.

so here are the streets that we have found 2 places (needs to be furnished so its basically limited to airbnb)

One in Irving - Valley Ranch area Off Cimarron Trtail
One in Dallas - off Dallas Parkway and Simonton Road

Is your son working at the North Texas PGA HQ on Preston Rd, near Frankford & Preston?
Are you hoping to be reasonably close to that site?

Is your son working at the North Texas PGA HQ on Preston Rd, near Frankford & Preston?
Are you hoping to be reasonably close to that site?
yes that is his office.

I mean we are looking to get him within 20-25 minutes (or closer) to that location. Being that we need it completely furnished and only a 5 month stay the airbnb is been our only avenue unless I am missing something. Just want to make sure hes in a safe area with some stuff to do (hes also bringing his girlfriend down with him)

so here are the streets that we have found 2 places (needs to be furnished so its basically limited to airbnb)

One in Irving - Valley Ranch area Off Cimarron Trtail
One in Dallas - off Dallas Parkway and Simonton Road
both of those are nice neighborhoods to stay in, the one in Dallas is much more centrally located to all of the things I would expect your son to be interested in, including a manageable commute, airport access, retail, night life etc. more going on in Dallas than Irving for sure, and he can Uber to just about anywhere pretty easily from there.

both of those are nice neighborhoods to stay in, the one in Dallas is much more centrally located to all of the things I would expect your son to be interested in, including a manageable commute, airport access, retail, night life etc. more going on in Dallas than Irving for sure, and he can Uber to just about anywhere pretty easily from there.
The Dallas one is actually listed in Farmers Branch Texas which I am assuming is a close Dallas suburb?

The Simonton Road exit off the Tollway is near the Galleria Mall. There are a lot of places to eat and shop in that neighborhood.
I don't know a lot about Farmers Branch. I think it's a supposed to be nice suburban area. Close to Addison at one end of Farmers Branch; close to Las Colinas at the other end. Not super close to Plano but you still have a lot of eating/shopping options and activities. To get to Preston Rd from there is probably 10-12 miles and you have a bunch of options including the Tollway and George Bush Turnpike.

The commute from Irving to Preston Rd would be more time-consuming. Traffic can get bad, especially LBJ (I-635). But you're closer to downtown, where there is a sh$tton of things to do.
The primary drawback would be the commute.

Frisco and Plano are definitely nice areas, if you want to check those out (again?). Oriented more toward families but still lots to do.

Wherever you end up, you're going to find a lot of places to eat and drink. There's a good chance that they're a franchise and not family-owned but you're going to have a ton of options.
And you're going to need a car. There is very little walking that happens in Dallas.

The Simonton Road exit off the Tollway is near the Galleria Mall. There are a lot of places to eat and shop in that neighborhood.
I don't know a lot about Farmers Branch. I think it's a supposed to be nice suburban area. Close to Addison at one end of Farmers Branch; close to Las Colinas at the other end. Not super close to Plano but you still have a lot of eating/shopping options and activities. To get to Preston Rd from there is probably 10-12 miles and you have a bunch of options including the Tollway and George Bush Turnpike.

The commute from Irving to Preston Rd would be more time-consuming. Traffic can get bad, especially LBJ (I-635). But you're closer to downtown, where there is a sh$tton of things to do.
The primary drawback would be the commute.

Frisco and Plano are definitely nice areas, if you want to check those out (again?). Oriented more toward families but still lots to do.

Wherever you end up, you're going to find a lot of places to eat and drink. There's a good chance that they're a franchise and not family-owned but you're going to have a ton of options.
And you're going to need a car. There is very little walking that happens in Dallas.
Thank you. I rally appreciate it!

He will have a car yes.

Just seeing this thread late sorry. I have been in Far North Dallas for over 25 years.

If your son is going to be working at Frankford and Preston Road, the Simonton Rd location is going to be a much easier commute for him than Irving. The area itself is a lot of furniture stores and warehouses but it is very close to the Galleria and the Dallas North Tollway. Is it by any chance Vitruvian West ? That area was recently heavily redeveloped and is in Farmers Branch but sits very close to the Addison and Dallas borders. His commute would be northbound on the Tollway in the morning to Frankford Road, which is the reverse of where the heaviest traffic comes from (southbound) and then the same at night (he's going south while the heaviest traffic is going north). I'd say from Simonton Rd. area maybe 15 minutes max. He can also use Marsh Lane north directly to Frankford then east to Preston and avoid the highway altogether.

Ask away. If you are visiting let me know.

Just seeing this thread late sorry. I have been in Far North Dallas for over 25 years.

If your son is going to be working at Frankford and Preston Road, the Simonton Rd location is going to be a much easier commute for him than Irving. The area itself is a lot of furniture stores and warehouses but it is very close to the Galleria and the Dallas North Tollway. Is it by any chance Vitruvian West ? That area was recently heavily redeveloped and is in Farmers Branch but sits very close to the Addison and Dallas borders. His commute would be northbound on the Tollway in the morning to Frankford Road, which is the reverse of where the heaviest traffic comes from (southbound) and then the same at night (he's going south while the heaviest traffic is going north). I'd say from Simonton Rd. area maybe 15 minutes max. He can also use Marsh Lane north directly to Frankford then east to Preston and avoid the highway altogether.

Ask away. If you are visiting let me know.
Thanks for responding. He actually moved into his apt yesterday. Ended up at the Cortland Galleria apts right across from the mall right in Farmers Branch. His office (when hes not on the golf course) is on Preston Road

Thanks for responding. He actually moved into his apt yesterday. Ended up at the Cortland Galleria apts right across from the mall right in Farmers Branch. His office (when hes not on the golf course) is on Preston Road
That is a very nice property. Ten minutes from my house. If he goes north on Inwood Road or the Tollway to Belt Line Road, he will be right in the heart of Addison which has a ton of bars and restaurants. There is a Whole Foods at the southeast corner of Belt Line and the Tollway in the Village on the Parkway development. Lots of bars and restaurants and an AMC movie theater in there as well. If he has any questions or needs help, just ping me.

I have nothing productive to add to this thread, but whenever I see "Plano," I alway think of this.

I’ve been thinking all afternoon about all the incredible BBQ that is available in North Dallas.
Even the so-so BBQ (Dickeys, Sonny Bryan’s) is better than anything near me now.

I’ve been thinking all afternoon about all the incredible BBQ that is available in North Dallas.
Even the so-so BBQ (Dickeys, Sonny Bryan’s) is better than anything near me now.
This man has become a local legend and is worth the visit to those already in the area or stopping in to visit. Turkey leg paradise on FaceBook. Corey's catering is his food truck that pops up all over Dallas

That is a very nice property. Ten minutes from my house. If he goes north on Inwood Road or the Tollway to Belt Line Road, he will be right in the heart of Addison which has a ton of bars and restaurants. There is a Whole Foods at the southeast corner of Belt Line and the Tollway in the Village on the Parkway development. Lots of bars and restaurants and an AMC movie theater in there as well. If he has any questions or needs help, just ping me.
Will do. Thanks for the info!

Dickeys, man I do like it but good lord it messes me up bad. No way I can eat it if there is any chance of being around civilized humans for the next 24 hours. It’s sort of like the McDonalds of BBQ in my estimation, it is actually really tasty but I don’t think the quality is a high priority!

Just got back from a visit. Prety spot on. Thanks for your input on this. We ended up eating at Pluckers, Gloria, Momos and Stirr. Hit a BWW for the SU Louisville game in desperation as I knew it would be on there. Caught a mavs game as well. Great city.

Just got back from a visit. Prety spot on. Thanks for your input on this. We ended up eating at Pluckers, Gloria, Momos and Stirr. Hit a BWW for the SU Louisville game in desperation as I knew it would be on there. Caught a mavs game as well. Great city.
Glad to hear you had a great visit. All good choices on the eats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom