Anyone want to venture a guess | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone want to venture a guess

Has there been any indication at all, even through back channels, that JJ has any interest in coming to SU, or is it all just wild board speculation?
Speculation, I don’t think there has a been any indication he is transferring outside of the obvious coaching change. Should probably wait until he’s in the portal before the minutes start getting allocated lol

Guys, you are out of your damn mind if you think Starling is not worth pursuing. Have any of you seen him play, beyond his contests against us? You need to look beyond the numbers -- his talent is quite obvious. A Mintz/Starling backcourt would be our most dynamic in many many years, regardless of any shooting concerns. I would be absolutely shocked if he is a 4 year player -- he may very well go pro after next season

Watching him play he has a better chance to turn into a point guard than a shooting guard. I would have to see all the other players in the portal before I say we should or shouldn't get JJ.
The thing I like about JJ, is that I think he’s a gamer. He didn’t get a chance this year, because Notre Dame wasn’t very good. But if you put him in a competitive environment, I think he’s the kind of kid that makes plays at the end of a game.

The thing I like about JJ, is that I think he’s a gamer. He didn’t get a chance this year, because Notre Dame wasn’t very good. But if you put him in a competitive environment, I think he’s the kind of kid that makes plays at the end of a game.

I think a Mintz/JJ combo would be fantastic if Red is looking to change the tempo we play. If he is looking to pick up man to man play fast and with an edge I think that backcourt would bring all that in spades. Shooting would be a concern but the impact they would have on the game would be outstanding.

I think a Mintz/JJ combo would be fantastic if Red is looking to change the tempo we play. If he is looking to pick up man to man play fast and with an edge I think that backcourt would bring all that in spades. Shooting would be a concern but the impact they would have on the game would be outstanding.
Those 2 up on the ball, Q running pt forward, the best Benny doing his thing. Clingnan Hima Carey blocking shots Our defense will be the offense Yes please

Now you guys are speculating that Clingan is leaving? lol

Clingan is not going anywhere. That prooosed starting lineup of Judah, JJ, Copeland, Benny and Hima could very well be a good defensive team but would also be one of the worst offensive teams in our history.

Agree.

It should be noted Starling played almost the entire season with a shoulder injury that may have happened against Syracuse on December 3rd. He also did not play after February 22nd, reportedly because of knee soreness.

He was asked to play a lot because even hurt, he was ND’s best player. He was their only player to get any post season ACC honor (the all frosh team).

There is reason to think he is a lot better than he showed this past season.

Last edited:
Now you guys are speculating that Clingan is leaving? lol
Just etting back from the BE T. I do not think Donovan is leaving UCONN, and if he does he would go to Michigan. Would love him in Orange, but Jesse offers more offensively right now.

JJ & Judah would be a nightmare for opposing teams to defend, as long as you had a 3/4 that could shoot.

Plus, I think JJ & Judah both have shots that can improve and become at least competent 3-point shooters.

I'd be OK with it. There are also ways to play three guards (with Girard, if he comes back) if you're playing man to man or up tempo. Plenty of other programs play three guards (Villanova). Judah & JJ are both big enough and tough enough where you could get away with one of them playing the three spot defensively.

JJ & Judah would be a nightmare for opposing teams to defend, as long as you had a 3/4 that could shoot.

Plus, I think JJ & Judah both have shots that can improve and become at least competent 3-point shooters.

I'd be OK with it. There are also ways to play three guards (with Girard, if he comes back) if you're playing man to man or up tempo. Plenty of other programs play three guards (Villanova). Judah & JJ are both big enough and tough enough where you could get away with one of them playing the three spot defensively.
Agree they'd be a nightmare but they'd be at their best with deadeye forward(s). However, I personally believe Judah will shoot mid to high 30s from 3 next year if he stays and teams will be forced to guard him tight.

Agree.

It should be noted Starling played almost the entire season with a shoulder injury that may have happened against Syracuse on December 3rd. He also did not play after February 22nd, reportedly because of knee soreness.

He was asked to play a lot because even hurt, he was ND’s best player. He was their only player to get any post season ACC honor (the all frosh team).

There is reason to think he is a lot better than he showed this past season.
He wasn't close to ND's best player. Hopefully it was just injury related.

Judah's 3 point shooting improved drastically over the past several games.
I just looked at his stats, and he ended up at 30%. He was in the high teens a couple months ago. I'm sure his percentage the last month or two was wildly high. I'm guessing that means he's going to be drafted. If he returns, he'll not only need to be respected from the perimeter, but he'll be feared. All-American type season.

This is why I hate SU fans. You're all discussing next season when we haven't even found our tourney seeding on Sunday yet. For shame.
You are a fan
This is why I hate SU fans. You're all discussing next season when we haven't even found our tourney seeding on Sunday yet. For shame.
You are the kind of fan I want to have a beer with!

I just looked at his stats, and he ended up at 30%. He was in the high teens a couple months ago. I'm sure his percentage the last month or two was wildly high. I'm guessing that means he's going to be drafted. If he returns, he'll not only need to be respected from the perimeter, but he'll be feared. All-American type season.
I hope he returns not just for the team's sake but for him to truly be prepared/ready for an NBA career. I mean a real career like Wes, Coleman, Douglas etc., not drafted on potential and get that first contract, bounce around the G League and/or NBA teams and be out of the league when the rookie contract ends or shortly thereafter (Malachi, Lydon, McCullough - all first rounders). He should aim for a decent NIL and continue to work on getting stronger and grow his point guard skills as this is his first year playing and learning the position. It's very risky being drafted on potential ( very late first round or second) and I feel like these kids just don't have enough respect for how difficult it is to be a complete NBA player. We've all seen very talented players struggle to make that last man on the bench spot. We've seen guys have good games in the G League and get called up and still only get a few minutes if any at all, and a majority end up eventually over seas. Right now Judah is the prototype of the player I described but could be much more with another season of learning and growth at SU. And no, he can't just learn those things on the go and get paid in the league. It's not that easy battling and competing with experienced, mature and physically ready players who have been struggling to get on an NBA bench for years. You can go back a few years and look at players comparable to Judah who were drafted on potential in the second round and you'll see that most of them are overseas or knocking about in the G League.

I hope he returns not just for the team's sake but for him to truly be prepared/ready for an NBA career. I mean a real career like Wes, Coleman, Douglas etc., not drafted on potential and get that first contract, bounce around the G League and/or NBA teams and be out of the league when the rookie contract ends or shortly thereafter (Malachi, Lydon, McCullough - all first rounders). He should aim for a decent NIL and continue to work on getting stronger and grow his point guard skills as this is his first year playing and learning the position. It's very risky being drafted on potential ( very late first round or second) and I feel like these kids just don't have enough respect for how difficult it is to be a complete NBA player. We've all seen very talented players struggle to make that last man on the bench spot. We've seen guys have good games in the G League and get called up and still only get a few minutes if any at all, and a majority end up eventually over seas. Right now Judah is the prototype of the player I described but could be much more with another season of learning and growth at SU. And no, he can't just learn those things on the go and get paid in the league. It's not that easy battling and competing with experienced, mature and physically ready players who have been struggling to get on an NBA bench for years. You can go back a few years and look at players comparable to Judah who were drafted on potential in the second round and you'll see that most of them are overseas or knocking about in the G League.
Based on a number of things, including his emotions after the season ending, I think he intends to leave. If he returns, that would be a good indicator of Red's ability to connect, recruit, and retain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom