AP Coach of the year | Syracusefan.com

AP Coach of the year

Kinda sucks that a lot of coaching awards are for teams that beat expectations rather than teams that were straight up great.

See Bill Belichick

Kinda sucks that a lot of coaching awards are for teams that beat expectations rather than teams that were straight up great.

See Bill Belichick
Honest to God, I won one of those in American Legion baseball , in a year where another coach took his team to the national title game and I asked that the award not be put in the newspaper. The voting was done before the state tournament.

Shakespeare in Love wins Academy Award for Best Picture.

See Bill Belichick
This is not a knock on Few but that's like a congrats you didn't screw up a great thing award. I give it to the guy who overachieved.

Why? They were preseason number one. Michigan was unranked.

Does that disqualify someone from the award? "Sorry, you're preseason #1 so you can't win this award."

They lost zero games. They have won exactly 1 game by less than 10 points. They have DOMINATED literally the entire season and are 2 wins from a national title. Meanwhile Michigan just lost to an 11 seed. Not that 1 game is a barometer, but if we're looking at the W/L column, Gonzaga & Mark Few look pretty good.

And they've done all this in the weirdest and most unpredictable sports year of all time. As crazy as it is, Gonzaga has exceeded lofty preseason expectations.

This is not a knock on Few but that's like a congrats you didn't screw up a great thing award. I give it to the guy who overachieved.
Then why doesn't Cronin get it.

It's voted on in the regular season.

Then give it to Mussleman at Arkansas based on your criteria. They didn't even receive a single preseason vote (also known as 1 less than UNC Greensboro) and ended up top 10-15.

And let's be honest - preseason polls tend to look a lot different than post season ones. UK, Duke, MSU, ASU, UNC & Wisconsin were all inside the top 20 preseason. Sure Gonzaga was #1, but they kicked @ss all season long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom