are any of these coaches people want going to recruit up here? | Syracusefan.com

are any of these coaches people want going to recruit up here?

upperdeck

Living Legend
its all fine and dandy to get a new offense going, but will they be able to get the players they want into SU and get them to come here and play? We wont be getting a big name to most people with all the jobs open

will we get a name as big as Greg? will doing it earlier get us a better shot at a bigger name?

i still think the season has to play out, beat BC and SS stays. lose out 9 in a row its a tough call. and until we know the Dome thing, how does that play into it. does a new coach want the ability to have no pressure year one traveling and a built in excuse?

its all fine and dandy to get a new offense going, but will they be able to get the players they want into SU and get them to come here and play? We wont be getting a big name to most people with all the jobs open

will we get a name as big as Greg? will doing it earlier get us a better shot at a bigger name?

i still think the season has to play out, beat BC and SS stays. lose out 9 in a row its a tough call. and until we know the Dome thing, how does that play into it. does a new coach want the ability to have no pressure year one traveling and a built in excuse?
yes. and some of them might play wide receiver too

Can we stop pretending that SU has different admissions for recruited football players? If they qualify, they are in.*

*Strictly talking academics as of course any off-field stuff can come into play.

So in the same day you have said we don't have good players, specifically at WR, but that if we beat BC then Shafer should stay because (I assume) a new guy might not be able to recruit any good players.

If your line of thinking today is more logical than this, then you've gotta help me out.

He will certainly have huge shoes to fill. I mean beating wake forest every year to avoid finishing last in recruiting in the entire ACC is the stuff that legends are made of at Syracuse.

Yes let's keep the guy.

Can we stop pretending that SU has different admissions for recruited football players? If they qualify, they are in.*

*Strictly talking academics as of course any off-field stuff can come into play.
is that true?

Im not saying SU is stanford to get into but does it equate to bowling green since thats a coach being mentioned?

i know its not true at cornell and its killing us in recruiting.

I'll qualify it to say I am not 100% certain that Syverud hasn't changed this, as I heard he was only pushing for greater scrutiny in the Olympic sports, but yes SU admits all NCAA qualifiers in FB and BB with some limits for the other sports.

Are you saying all of these guys would be accepted to Syracuse even if they didn't play football?

Full_Rebar said:
I'll qualify it to say I am not 100% certain that Syverud hasn't changed this, as I heard he was only pushing for greater scrutiny in the Olympic sports, but yes SU admits all NCAA qualifiers in FB and BB with some limits for the other sports.

Maybe not this year but at one time SU football was allowed to take 4 "at risk" players even if qualified. And no, I don't know what defines at risk.

Are you saying all of these guys would be accepted to Syracuse even if they didn't play football?

Yes, that is what I am saying. There wasn't a limit on the "at-risk" admissions.

Yes. Northeast kids are just as intrigued with the Texas Air Raid as we are. And they get to chuck it around in a Dome. In a major conference.

What quarterback or wide receiver wouldn't want to come here?

Greg Robinson was a big name?

Two times out right fired NFL DC, not let go in a HC, fired by the guys that hired him, Shannahan and Vermeil.

This is a new age, every freaking game is on TV, there's this thing called the internet. HS kids know brands, they see the B12 and the style being played in AAC, CUSA, and the MAC.

You hire out of those places and there will be instant name recognition.

Two times out right fired NFL DC, not let go in a HC, fired by the guys that hired him, Shannahan and Vermeil.

This is a new age, every freaking game is on TV, there's this thing called the internet. HS kids know brands, they see the B12 and the style being played in AAC, CUSA, and the MAC.

It's time to put a new face on the program, join the modern era, score points and hopefully win games. I just think people comparing the situation to the one 10 years ago are just crazy, not even close. Or trying to follow what we did 30 years is nuts too. This program, it's fans, it's managers, admin, etc need to put the past behind us. I am so sick of watching games from 97-98 like they were the glory years or we won't get back there. Needs to get done.

i am just wondering how many of these kids really want to come to SU to play. we are not a fball factory, most of these kids thing we suck , if you took the bowling green recruits and brought them here, this board would explode. do we think the coaches are not trying to find the best kids they can to come here or are we only looking for system kids and they dont have the talent to succeed? when you can go back close to 10 years to find a real talent on the roster what does that say and he was somewhat a local over looked kid.

everyone was all over the great job the BC coach was doing, now he loses a QB and they are awful, just like us. did he forget how to coach or perhaps talent does matter? Im not sure the talent improves with a new coach, perhaps better coaching gets us 1-2 more wins this year and gets a shot at a bowl. are we an 8 win team now with a better staff this year? would a better staff have gotten us better plays by year 3? thats the real question, you cant turn over the whole roster again next year even with a new staff so they better find 5-10 who can play quick.

we have to get out of this northeast recruiter guy mode.

"northeast recruits stink! we need a guy who has years of relationships with northeast high school coaches whose players stink!"

it would be nice to hire coaches who are familiar with the normal recruiting grounds. If you hire someone is already recruiting NJ, PA, VA, FL, GA, OH etc then it's easier. Harsin for instance I'd be leery that he could recruit kids to Syracuse. It'll depend on the staff.

"northeast recruits stink! we need a guy who has years of relationships with northeast high school coaches whose players stink!"

and who programs are shrinking on a yearly basis! It is moronic really

agreed you can't be in NE recruiter mode, but the Southeast and ACC territory you almost have to be. .

It's time to put a new face on the program, join the modern era, score points and hopefully win games. I just think people comparing the situation to the one 10 years ago are just crazy, not even close. Or trying to follow what we did 30 years is nuts too. This program, it's fans, it's managers, admin, etc need to put the past behind us. I am so sick of watching games from 97-98 like they were the glory years or we won't get back there. Needs to get done.

The shame is that Shafer's defensive approach and what they have been trying to do fits with a high tempo B12 style offense (this years results notwithstanding).

1. They have been working on getting a starting 22 on defense, playing almost like hockey line shifts.

2. Don't worry about total yards, worry about creating stops. When you really turn it up tempo on offense defense isn't about shut outs, it's about getting a couple of more stops than the other guy, situational defense, which Shafer has been able to do well most of the time here. Give up yards through the air, but be stout against the run on 1st and 2nd down and when you get a favorable down and distance create defensive wins through pressure. It would be a great marriage.

BC is dead last in the ACC with zero wins. Beating them won't save anybody.

They got the recruiting profile thing right. You can find DL, OL, RB's, TE's, LB's in the NE and MW. Go south for WR's, DB's. Recruit nationally for QB's.

it would be nice to hire coaches who are familiar with the normal recruiting grounds. If you hire someone is already recruiting NJ, PA, VA, FL, GA, OH etc then it's easier. Harsin for instance I'd be leery that he could recruit kids to Syracuse. It'll depend on the staff.

If you can convince kids to go to Boise Idaho....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom