Are we gradually going to sink to BC/Pitt level? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are we gradually going to sink to BC/Pitt level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gradually???
I know the narrative and I agree with most of it. But cmon man, we were in the S16 last year. When’s the last time Pitt or BC even won a game in the NCAAs?

I think ACC wants us but also wants us settle in the bottom of ACC. So they show how good the North Carolina schools are.

BC first. Then Pitt. Now it is our term in their agenda.
BC and Pitt turning into hot rotting garbage have nothing to do with the ACC and everything to do with poor choices in coaching hires, administrative/university wide support, and poor infrastructure in the case of BC.

Sure, SU could fall into that realm but it would take a concerted effort by the AD and board of trustees to match the negligence of Pitt and BC.

I think ACC wants us but also wants us settle in the bottom of ACC. So they show how good the North Carolina schools are.

This is all self inflicted !
Bye Jim !!
As a wise man once said, and a hell of a coach !
“you are who your record says you are”

And really our recruiting area is anything within a half days drive, 4-6 hours away. So the entire Northeast corridor from Boston through NYC, NJ and Philly to Baltimore and DC. This is what Troy Weaver emphasized when he came in.
Crazy question, but can Troy coach or is there a reason he’s a GM instead?

It isn't the falt of the coach or staff. Being in the ACC is a death sentence for recruiting if you are a NE school. The ACC is a southern conference. The top NE kids that go ACC go to the schools that best represent the ACC. The NE kids that want to stay involved in NE hoops go to the Big East teams that best represent the Big East. Funny how our staff lost its ability to recruit once we joined the ACC but was able to recruit when we were representative the best of the Big East. We have good facilities but so do our competitors. Once our fan base collapses our hole will get ever deeper. It is not forordained, but yes it could get worse. Brace yourself for next year.

It isn't the falt of the coach or staff. Being in the ACC is a death sentence for recruiting if you are a NE school. The ACC is a southern conference. The top NE kids that go ACC go to the schools that best represent the ACC. The NE kids that want to stay involved in NE hoops go to the Big East teams that best represent the Big East. Funny how our staff lost its ability to recruit once we joined the ACC but was able to recruit when we were representative the best of the Big East. We have good facilities but so do our competitors. Once our fan base collapses our hole will get ever deeper. It is not forordained, but yes it could get worse. Brace yourself for next year.
This isn’t even remotely true. We had great classes, the players panning out, that’s another story.

Kids from the northeast have gone off to play in the ACC for decades. And last I looked, Syracuse University still plays 2/3rds of its games in Syracuse, New York.

I expect JB to retire if this winds up being a losing season. Seems like something he would do.

I also expect Wildhack to replace JB with a solid hire. So no, I don’t see us sinking to Pitt and BC’s level.

If the next coach (or two) is incapable of having success here, then the last 45 years have been smoke and mirrors.

I expect JB to retire if this winds up being a losing season. Seems like something he would do.

I also expect Wildhack to replace JB with a solid hire. So no, I don’t see us sinking to Pitt and BC’s level.

If the next coach (or two) is incapable of having success here, then the last 45 years have been smoke and mirrors.
Good take and I hope you are right with the first paragraph.

We won’t sink to BC level because BC doesn’t give a chit about basketball. Our fanbase cares when we play at Conte Forum it’s the Dome East.

Pitt is garbage because they made a bad hire.

The next coach will not be as good as the current HC but will bring hopefully some fresh styles of play and energy.

Good take and I hope you are right with the first paragraph.

We won’t sink to BC level because BC doesn’t give a chit about basketball. Our fanbase cares when we play at Conte Forum it’s the Dome East.

Pitt is garbage because they made a bad hire.

The next coach will not be as good as the current HC but will bring hopefully some fresh styles of play and energy.

Pitt deserves what they got. They ran Dixon out of town because he only got out of the first weekend 3 times in 11 tries over 13 seasons despite a boatload of high seeds. It’s the classic what means more argument, the regular season or tournament.

Pity’s nyc pipeline also dried up, not many of those kids want to play in this conference

Pitt deserves what they got. They ran Dixon out of town because he only got out of the first weekend 3 times in 11 tries over 13 seasons despite a boatload of high seeds. It’s the classic what means more argument, the regular season or tournament.
Fair take.
Pitt got unlucky a couple of times in March.

Atleast they were relevant.
Sweet 16s though as double digit seeds don’t cover for what we have at our disposal.

He left for TCU because he's an alum and got paid a ton of money.

I know JB doesn’t care to recruit as much but I really hope this year was a wake up call to hit the transfer portal harder going forward instead of settling like this year. No team should be this bad with the current transfer portal.

He left for TCU because he's an alum and got paid a ton of money.

Sure. But the writing was on the wall that last season. Both sides were ready to move on. Hasn’t worked out for either IMO.

By what standard? The 38 years of excellence winning 74% of games starting in 1976? Or the 58% winning percentage of the last 7-8 years?

I believe that there is HUGE pool of coaches who could go 18-13 every year at SU.

Fair take.
Pitt got unlucky a couple of times in March.

Atleast they were relevant.
Sweet 16s though as double digit seeds don’t cover for what we have at our disposal.
He dominated us. They never scored enough against elite m2m teams.

Relax. One mediocre year in the last 50 is not the sky falling. Keep faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom