Are we missing what's in front of us | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are we missing what's in front of us

320 yards. 15 first downs. 3-13 on 3rd. It was really no different than any other offensive output. We just scored 3 more points.

Some differences were forcing 3 turnovers and the defense forcing a few more punts even though they gave up nearly 600 yards.
Against a rather good defense no? Maybe better than that of URI, Wake, CMU or UVa?. Look, Mahoney is no RG III, but the offense did have some flow today. Also, lots of other players on this team get a semi=pass because they're young. Why not him?

Given Dungey's health concerns, there is zero reason for him to see another snap this season.

I swear if he plays and gets lit up again in a meaningless game, I will lose it.

HCSS is coaching for his job these last two, they arent meaningless to him.

Against a rather good defense no? Maybe better than that of URI, Wake, CMU or UVa?. Look, Mahoney is no RG III, but the offense did have some flow today. Also, lots of other players on this team get a semi=pass because they're young. Why not him?

If Mahoney hit some open receivers today we might have had 450 yards (and of course there was Ish's 50 yarder brought back) . But it didn't happen man. Lesters doesn't get any credit for the flow and what ifs so why should Mahoney. He was 8/20. Parris screwed him on the one so I deducted it.

HCSS is coaching for his job these last two, they arent meaningless to him.

He shouldn't be. Winning or losing 2 meaningless games shouldn't determine his fate. Honestly, I feel the decision should already be made. And the kid's long term health should come first regardless.

Seriously. If we bring back Shafer so he can run the triple option next year that may be the straw that breaks this camels back.

I am maintaining sanity because I have myself convinced that Coyle is a smart man and has already begun vetting his potential coaching candidates. Candidates like Babers, Fleck, Montgomery. Offensive guys who can bring a unique style to the Dome. There's just no way Coyle came here only to watch a HC he didn't hire fumble, and bumble to another 3 win season. I have faith that Coyle is 1 step ahead, and is in the midst of executing his master plan. Or at least this is what I will continue to tell myself to get me through the rest of this season.

You know what, I used to love reading your posts. That is seemingly over. It amazes me that there are so many on this board cannot see what they are trying to do up on that hill. Certainly there is room for growth on the coaching front however look at who they are playing and competing with. We are not that far away. The way you talk about this coach almost makes me think you have a personal vendetta against him. IDK did someone ignore you at a team sponsor event. I personally believe he will be coming back. I will take what professionals say about this staff over the naysayers on the board. By the way how about the defense today. Far better. Secondary is however scary to watch. Coach reed unfortunately may certainly scrutinized. Keep coach shaffer, watch him next year.

WE PLAY IN A ******* MOTHER******' DOME
We also play in the northeast. Running the ball will always be preeminent. We were multiple in the 90's we will be again however.

Dungey is as good a runner as the officer, maybe better, and has a hell of a lot better arm. He gives you more options in the option. I find it hard to believe Dungey couldn't have run through those same holes, but he also completes a few of those deep balls that Mahoney missed on.
I disagree on the arm. At least arm strength. Mahoney can throw it

You know what, I used to love reading your posts. That is seemingly over. It amazes me that there are so many on this board cannot see what they are trying to do up on that hill. Certainly there is room for growth on the coaching front however look at who they are playing and competing with. We are not that far away. The way you talk about this coach almost makes me think you have a personal vendetta against him. IDK did someone ignore you at a team sponsor event. I personally believe he will be coming back. I will take what professionals say about this staff over the naysayers on the board. By the way how about the defense today. Far better. Secondary is however scary to watch. Coach reed unfortunately may certainly scrutinized. Keep coach shaffer, watch him next year.

you like him so much you should learn how to spell his name first.

I disagree on the arm. At least arm strength. Mahoney can throw it
Dungey throws a better ball downfield, hands down, and can make all the other throws Mahoney can make. I fail to see where Mahoney is as good as Dungey in all categories.

The key are is Mahoney will let s play develop where Ed takes of running. Mahoney also seems to put a little more zip on the ball.

Football is all about matchups. We have played our best against LSU and Clemson and need to ask why.
Both defenses are similar in style and perfect to run the option against. Kudos to Lester for recognizing this.

If you read up on stopping an option offense you will see that assignment defense is the key. An aggressive attacking defense gets out of position by getting past the play or trapped by misdirection. That is what happened with both LSU and Clemson.

Will it work against more traditional read and react defenses? The evidence suggests otherwise, but we will not know for sure until Mahoney plays against teams like NCS and BC.

I should hasten to add that while Navy is having a great year, Georgia Tech, the other preeminent option team, is 3-7 and mired in last place in the Coastal Division at 1-6. If we were to convert to an all out option team we would spend a couple of years recruiting for that style and then another few years recruiting for whatever followed.

We won't become an all out option team. Mahoney will not start over a healthy ED.

We won't become an all out option team. Mahoney will not start over a healthy ED.

I have no idea about your first point. With respect to Dungey, the question is how healthy he really is. Iirc he was not at the dome for LSU either and that was attributed to concussion protocol. We don't know but it does not sound good.

I have no idea about your first point. With respect to Dungey, the question is how healthy he really is. Iirc he was not at the dome for LSU either and that was attributed to concussion protocol. We don't know but it does not sound good.
Where was it ever confirmed that it was attributed to concussion protocol?

Where was it ever confirmed that it was attributed to concussion protocol?
As I said, iirc, it was mentioned somewhere at the time. Is there another plausible reason he wouldn't be on the sidelines with his teammates? Did he practice at all?

Football is all about matchups. We have played our best against LSU and Clemson and need to ask why.
Both defenses are similar in style and perfect to run the option against. Kudos to Lester for recognizing this.

If you read up on stopping an option offense you will see that assignment defense is the key. An aggressive attacking defense gets out of position by getting past the play or trapped by misdirection. That is what happened with both LSU and Clemson.

Will it work against more traditional read and react defenses? The evidence suggests otherwise, but we will not know for sure until Mahoney plays against teams like NCS and BC.

I should hasten to add that while Navy is having a great year, Georgia Tech, the other preeminent option team, is 3-7 and mired in last place in the Coastal Division at 1-6. If we were to convert to an all out option team we would spend a couple of years recruiting for that style and then another few years recruiting for whatever followed.

Johnson is 61-41 overall at GT has a very young team this year which seems to be reason enough for many here. Beat FSU as well. he has 3-4 coastal titles and an ACC championship. Never understood why people talk as if he hasn't been really successful running this system overall. 61-41 is pretty damn good.

I would take the navy coach in a heartbeat but I don't think he will ever leave and he also makes 1.6 mil

As I said, iirc, it was mentioned somewhere at the time. Is there another plausible reason he wouldn't be on the sidelines with his teammates? Did he practice at all?
Edit: It's common for injured players not to dress or be a part of gameday activities, like team meals, etc. moreso on the road than home, but, it applies at home as well. I don't know what Syracuse's policy is on that though, Hunt's been there lately. And I guess I'm Internet dumb as I've got no idea what iirc means.

Dungey if he's going to qb this team needs to alert himself to massive hits.
I wouldn't play him again this year bc the drop off is nonexistent and for the kid to start bulking up. Mahoney reminds me of Flutie in that he has an internal clock to avoid big hits and to get down when it makes sense.

Mahoneys arm is better than we thought. He needs better touch on the deep balls but let's see how he does vs a non top 5 team.

It's the great mystery with dungey. I'll listen to cuseregular here and tend to agree, I just don't see how people can ignore certain things. He was knocked out for a second during Pitt game as well.

Edit: It's common for injured players not to dress or be a part of gameday activities, like team meals, etc. moreso on the road than home, but, it applies at home as well. I don't know what Syracuse's policy is on that though, Hunt's been there lately. And I guess I'm Internet dumb as I've got no idea what iirc means.
Sorry, iirc = if I remember correctly.

Dungey if he's going to qb this team needs to alert himself to massive hits.
I wouldn't play him again this year bc the drop off is nonexistent and for the kid to start bulking up. Mahoney reminds me of Flutie in that he has an internal clock to avoid big hits and to get down when it makes sense.

Mahoneys arm is better than we thought. He needs better touch on the deep balls but let's see how he does vs a non top 5 team.

Not my first choice, but a triple option has several obvious advantages. Recruiting for the triple doesn't have as much competition since WR are not essential, it is hard to prepare for and does not require a great passer. Far easier to win 6 and make it to bowls. I would not be surprised at all to see more of it in the last two games.

Not my first choice, but a triple option has several obvious advantages. Recruiting for the triple doesn't have as much competition since WR are not essential, it is hard to prepare for and does not require a great passer. Far easier to win 6 and make it to bowls. I would not be surprised at all to see more of it in the last two games.

Georgia tech averages 18 pass attempts per game, we average 26 right now. Better off being good at something than nothing. Like you said, not my first choice but we need to find a system that works and run it. We need an offensive coach with a system and an identity, not some multiple nonsense, the we adapt to the talent that all coaches like to spew, which in theory sounds great but it just means you have a hodge podge of junk, you do 100 different things bad to mediocre.

At least with Mahoney we know he can run the option and maybe that is why he has been ok, keep it simple.

Long term, I want a leach or briles disciple.

Dungey throws a better ball downfield, hands down, and can make all the other throws Mahoney can make. I fail to see where Mahoney is as good as Dungey in all categories.

Definitely. Dungey has had a few bad halves this year, and some REALLY stellar ones both running and passing. Mahoney, is fun to watch run the option and seems like he has ice water in his veins, but his passes are erratic. Moreover, I think Dungey was (earlier in the year), every bit as good running the option, but they seemed to shelve a lot of that the last few games due to the health concerns (IMO).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom