Are we missing what's in front of us | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Are we missing what's in front of us

But we'd have to out Georgia Tech, Georgia Tech (once every 6 years). :D

Honestly, I wouldnt have a problem with the triple option if we went all in on it. I doubt it would satiate the masses though,
Is GA Tech's 3-7 record that much better than SU's 3-7?

Most here would be bored silly with a straight option-only offense. Art Monk, Rob Moore and Marvin Harrison would wonder what happened to the passing game, even more so than today.

Mahoney has played against two teams that had an aggressive man principals. Lester's offense is much better against man. Lousiville played a lot more complex zone blitz scheme, something that eliminates a lot of the man match ups Lester wants to create. Mahoney would have struggled mightily against Louisville IMO.

Mahoney has played against two teams that had an aggressive man principals. Lester's offense is much better against man. Lousiville played a lot more complex zone blitz scheme, something that eliminates a lot of the man match ups Lester wants to create. Mahoney would have struggled mightily against Louisville IMO.
Until we see Mahoney and the option against a different style defense than LSU and Clemson we just don't know what we have with him.

I agree we need to see Mahoney in more games before we can fully judge. But the entire offense seemed to click better in the 2 games he played. It could all be the defensive schemes of the opponents that play to his strengths as others have mentioned, but I also wonder if he's a better leader than ED. Maybe somehow he motivates the team better.

Just wondering.

Don't have to. If this staff survives we will probably morph into a full fledged triple option team anyway. Seems to be what works.
Yes because this is really the way to take advantage of perfect conditions in the Dome! Sarc off. Sadly we are running old Ben's plays from the 1960's (without his OLine)

I'm for replacing SS, but I do think the Navy/GT offense is our best chance for sustained success. We are not going to out-recruit FSU, Clemson or Louisville in our division, maybe not even NC State.

Come on.

If that's the attitude, we should just drop down to FCS and be done with it.

Come on.

If that's the attitude, we should just drop down to FCS and be done with it.
I get that many people don't like the aesthetics of that offense, but compare Paul Johnson's records at GT and Navy (and his successor's at Navy) with those of GRob/Marrone/SS. Of course you can consistently lose running the option too, i.e. Army.
If your point is more that we can consistently go head to head with FSU, Clemson and Louisville in recruiting top-tier offensive talent, I respectfully disagree and think that the option helps compensate for the disparity.

I get that many people don't like the aesthetics of that offense, but compare Paul Johnson's records at GT and Navy (and his successor's at Navy) with those of GRob/Marrone/SS. Of course you can consistently lose running the option too, i.e. Army.
If your point is more that we can consistently go head to head with FSU, Clemson and Louisville in recruiting top-tier offensive talent, I respectfully disagree and think that the option helps compensate for the disparity.

Lvilles classes have been middle of the pack in the ACC. No, I don't think that's unreasonable.

FSU and Clemson now, no, why is that the standard, but everyone else, absolutely.

What was the conventional wisdom regarding Stanford, Baylor, TCU?

All private schools the first two starting in the same place SU did in 2007/2008. Marrone was four games less than Harbaugh in year four, the difference being 12-1 vs 8-5, same four year record as Briles. And that was with an NFL 2nd stringer vs a couple of Heismen candidates/winners.

You can build a non gimick (Johnson or Leach) offense here that can compete against anybody in the country. Takes high end coaching and finding a handful of productive college players.

FSU and Clemson now, no, why is that the standard, but everyone else, absolutely.

What was the conventional wisdom regarding Stanford, Baylor, TCU?

All private schools the first two starting in the same place SU did in 2007/2008. Marrone was four games less than Harbaugh in year four, the difference being 12-1 vs 8-5, same four year record as Briles. And that was with an NFL 2nd stringer vs a couple of Heismen candidates/winners.

You can build a non gimick (Johnson or Leach) offense here that can compete against anybody in the country. Takes high end coaching and finding a handful of productive college players.
Takes really good linemen, as well.

Then why do we get ours from the Midwest and elsewhere?

Pugh, NJ, Chibane, NJ, Macky, Syracuse, Trudo, PA, Hickey, PA - Just an example.

There's no reason why that level of starting unit can't be replicated or better in this program. Will they need surperior coach, without a doubt, but highly productive lines can be found in this region.

Pugh, NJ, Chibane, NJ, Macky, Syracuse, Trudo, PA, Hickey, PA - Just an example.

There's no reason why that level of starting unit can't be replicated or better in this program. Will they need surperior coach, without a doubt, but highly productive lines can be found in this region.
I guess you were referring to Northeast rather than New England. (I consider PA as Mid-Atlantic not New England.)
At any rate, we don't get many from New England and we get more outside of the Northest than within it. That trend is growing with this staff. Also, PA is very competitive.

IthacaBarrel said:
I dont know I will take a 61-41 record. Option or no option. Gimmick or no gimmick.. Leach offense is pretty mainstream as well at this point. I wouldn't call it a gimmick
yea an offense is an offense, might be gimmicks play but that's their strategy

Not to be nit-picky, but Pugh is from PA. He and Nassib used to ride together when going home for school breaks.

I guess you were referring to Northeast rather than New England. (I consider PA as Mid-Atlantic not New England.)
At any rate, we don't get many from New England and we get more outside of the Northest than within it. That trend is growing with this staff. Also, PA is very competitive.

"the" northeast, nobody says "the New England".

New England, New York, Pa, NJ

SU should be able to get enough quality OL every year out of that area.

If they have a line to some schools in Fla or Ga, that's great, but that can't be your base for those kinds of players.

"the" northeast, nobody says "the New England".

New England, New York, Pa, NJ

SU should be able to get enough quality OL every year out of that area.

If they have a line to some schools in Fla or Ga, that's great, but that can't be your base for those kinds of players.
My only point is that we cannot do it out of that area alone not by a long shot. We have trouble getting half of what we need.

Until we see Mahoney and the option against a different style defense than LSU and Clemson we just don't know what we have with him.
I imagine we will see it against NC state and BC. Let's see what happens

My only point is that we cannot do it out of that area alone not by a long shot. We have trouble getting half of what we need.

This program can get all the OL they need out of the NE.

Then why don't we?

The upperclassmen and most of the two deep are all from the NE. Obviously the new staff have gone outside because that is where they are from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom