Are we the worst P-5 football program? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Are we the worst P-5 football program?

Jesus...the team we've seen is not even the team we have. Can you not understand all the players not playing or not playing healthy? What is so hard to understand?

Other teams are going through the same damn thing.

Ask yourself why ours appear to have so few NCAA caliber players.

Ask yourself why we are so much worse than the opposition.

We appear to have quit. Our culture seems toxic.

Everyone is going through this. The virus is not just in Central NY.

There isn't a team in the country that can start 6 freshmen on defense, a late recruit true frosh at QB on the road behind a banged up OL and expect to be competitive with anyone.

But why are we in this position? Do we not have 85 scholarship players, just like every other team?

Other teams have had defections, guys sit out, guys get injured, and have still played with some pride.

Why is it that 4 or 5 starters out of 85 guys get hurt, and we cannot even be competitive in any games at all?

Yes, I know about 20 guys are hurt or sitting out, but why are we in this position?

The whole damn country is going through this right now.

I honestly don't think we talk enough about the fact that we're in the wrong conference for our football program.

I really hope at some point the ACC is re-aligned geographically because it would be a good first step.

We don't have any choice. If we want to play football, we have to get better. Playing against good teams, with the investment in our facilities, our college's name recognition, our history, we should be at least a middle of the pack team. No, we are not a football factory. We don't roll that way, but in my 60 years on this planet, we have been a very good (not great) football team for about 40 or so of them. So it's not impossible.

I agree that I would like a geographic realignment of the divisions. It would really help us, and all the northeast teams. These "forced rivalries" have not taken hold, for the most part.

But the ACC is not "above" us. We have played and beaten "name" programs in basketball and in football, punching above our weight, the whole damn time. That's who we are. That's Syracuse football!

Thats not remotely true. Show me one team that has been decimated like we have and is winning. You can't. PSU, Mich, and MSU look to be the same as usual? Typical post for you.

The problem I have is that, while this may be true, that is THIS year's excuse. Most of Dino's tenure has been characterized by excuses for a given year.

1st Year- 4 wins. "Dino inherited nothing and he needs 4 years to build the program with HIS guys and HIS staff"

2nd Year- 4 wins. Same excuse as year 1

3rd year- Awesome year. Apparently the cupboard wasn't as bare as people said. True the team was carried by one of the great QB's in SU history (that he didn't recruit) but 1) he developed him and 2) I am quite sure that Shaffer could not have gotten 10 wins out of that team. I doubt he could have gotten 9 wins. All credit to Dino. He has built his whole SU tenure on that single season

4th Year- OK, Dino has his guys, his QB, his staff in place and...thud. 5 wins and things were so dire he had to fire is OC and DC, which is a poor reflection on his judgement in putting them in their jobs in the first place. Oh, there were excuses for last season too. There always are.

5th year- injuries, lack of depth (whose fault is that?). Likely the worse season in my lifetime. We all know the excuses for this year.

So Dino's tenure has been marked by one great season, 4 stinkers, and lots of excuses. We all love Dino and want him to succeed but he is lucky enough to be one of the few P5 coaches in the country. It is a gig that is aspired to by coaches at all other levels. He makes a good salary. Results are expected and excuses, even if they are valid for a given year, get old after awhile (as do poor results)

The point comes when the world doesn't want to hear about the labor pains; it just wants to see the baby.

The problem I have is that, while this may be true, that is THIS year's excuse. Most of Dino's tenure has been characterized by excuses for a given year.

1st Year- 4 wins. "Dino inherited nothing and he needs 4 years to build the program with HIS guys and HIS staff"

2nd Year- 4 wins. Same excuse as year 1

3rd year- Awesome year. Apparently the cupboard wasn't as bare as people said. True the team was carried by one of the great QB's in SU history (that he didn't recruit) but 1) he developed him and 2) I am quite sure that Shaffer could not have gotten 10 wins out of that team. I doubt he could have gotten 9 wins. All credit to Dino. He has built his whole SU tenure on that single season

4th Year- OK, Dino has his guys, his QB, his staff in place and...thud. 5 wins and things were so dire he had to fire is OC and DC, which is a poor reflection on his judgement in putting them in their jobs in the first place. Oh, there were excuses for last season too. There always are.

5th year- injuries, lack of depth (whose fault is that?). Likely the worse season in my lifetime. We all know the excuses for this year.

So Dino's tenure has been marked by one great season, 4 stinkers, and lots of excuses. We all love Dino and want him to succeed but he is lucky enough to be one of the few P5 coaches in the country. It is a gig that is aspired to by coaches at all other levels. He makes a good salary. Results are expected and excuses, even if they are valid for a given year, get old after awhile (as do poor results)

The point comes when the world doesn't want to hear about the labor pains; it just wants to see the baby.
Dino makes over $12,000 per day. He makes more money than any person in the history of Syracuse University. He has been provided with more resources than any Syracuse coach in any sport.

Other teams are going through the same damn thing.

Ask yourself why ours appear to have so few NCAA caliber players.

Ask yourself why we are so much worse than the opposition.

We appear to have quit. Our culture seems toxic.

Everyone is going through this. The virus is not just in Central NY.

I, and some others here, do not see it that way. I don't think the team has quit at all.

Here is a comparison of the bottom 15 P-5 schools by winning percentage the last 2000-2019. Make of it what you will.

TeamWinsLossesWin SeasonsLast Win SeasonDbl Dig WinYearBowl App.Top 20 WinsFinished Ranked
Kansas
78​
162​
3​
2008​
1​
2007​
4​
3​
1​
Duke
82​
161​
5​
2018​
1​
2013​
6​
3​
1​
Vandy
87​
155​
3​
2013​
0​
6​
3​
2​
Indiana
88​
152​
2​
2019​
0​
4​
8​
0​
Illinois
91​
151​
4​
2011​
1​
2001​
6​
6​
2​
Colorado
102​
147​
4​
2016​
2​
2016​
6​
15​
3​
Iowa St
106​
142​
8​
2019​
0​
11​
11​
1​
SU
104​
139​
6​
2018​
2​
2018​
6​
13​
2​
UK
107​
138​
9​
2019​
1​
2018​
9​
9​
1​
Rutgers
108​
138​
8​
2014​
1​
2006​
9​
4​
1​
Purdue
110​
138​
8​
2017​
0​
11​
11​
2​
Arizona
112​
133​
8​
2017​
1​
2014​
8​
20​
1​
Wake
115​
131​
9​
2019​
1​
2006​
9​
9​
1​
UVA
117​
132​
8​
2019​
0​
10​
18​
2​
UNC
120​
128​
11​
2019​
1​
2015​
11​
16​
1​

So the answer, which should have been on page 1 and quickly ended this Costanza ass thread is: NO.

/EndThread.

Find something else to wallow about, Can’t-Stand-Yaaaaa’s.

Last edited:
If you watch much college football, you would have to agree that Syracuse looks like the worst coached P5 team this year. That goes for '16, '17 and '19 as well.

Not talking about this year in isolation necessarily, but rather, more broadly.

Serious question...i think the answer may very well be yes. I think there are other programs in the discussion. But I am having a hard time definitively saying we are not.

Suddenly, a lot of the other conference doormats all still look better.

Kansas may be the only program I can make the confident case for.

No.

Can we delete this unhelpful thread?

its not an insult, it was a clinical diagnosis. How else do you explain that post?
Maybe you should get your vision diagnosed because in those 4 years, Syracuse has not LOOKED like a capably coached team and handed in numerous inept performances.

Maybe you should get your vision diagnosed because in those 4 years, Syracuse has not LOOKED like a capably coached team and handed in numerous inept performances.

But to say they were the worst coached power 5 team each of those 4 years is just saying things to get attention per your usual style

But to say they were the worst coached power 5 team each of those 4 years is just saying things to get attention per your usual style
But hire Macky McPherson as HC and Jim Boeheim has never made a mistake in his life guys.

but you can’t just disregard 2018,

and even in those other years, including last year they have had really good performances.

yep the team being fielded this year is ridiculously awful, but that team doesn’t represent the roster or state of the program if had entered into a normal spring

I firmly believe that if you are a reasonable person and make an honest assessment, the conclusion is that this program is in a drastic situation. Otherwise the frog in boiling water analogy might apply.

Are we the worst coaches team in power 5?? No I guess I can’t say that. But once again to a previous point i had made if it’s even a discussion in year 5 then you have to fire everybody and start fresh. And I also hate excuses all sorts of excuses Covid, can’t recruit to Syracuse blah blah blah. Have any of you ever been to Ames Iowa? I’m have, in fact I have been there a couple times it isn’t a place that screams college football royalty however Matt Campbell seems to be doing a pretty damn good and consistent job there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom