Are we the worst P-5 football program? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Are we the worst P-5 football program?

The mantra of the Syracuse fan...ignore the problem and have blind faith...or just stop caring (re attendance issues)...

I think those who are on this Board care a lot about the Program.

I just think it hurts the Program - and is wildly inaccurate - to even suggest in a public setting that it is the worst in college football.

I am curious. What is the "problem" that you think is being ignored?

Last edited:
The problem I have is that, while this may be true, that is THIS year's excuse. Most of Dino's tenure has been characterized by excuses for a given year.

1st Year- 4 wins. "Dino inherited nothing and he needs 4 years to build the program with HIS guys and HIS staff"

2nd Year- 4 wins. Same excuse as year 1

3rd year- Awesome year. Apparently the cupboard wasn't as bare as people said. True the team was carried by one of the great QB's in SU history (that he didn't recruit) but 1) he developed him and 2) I am quite sure that Shaffer could not have gotten 10 wins out of that team. I doubt he could have gotten 9 wins. All credit to Dino. He has built his whole SU tenure on that single season

4th Year- OK, Dino has his guys, his QB, his staff in place and...thud. 5 wins and things were so dire he had to fire is OC and DC, which is a poor reflection on his judgement in putting them in their jobs in the first place. Oh, there were excuses for last season too. There always are.

5th year- injuries, lack of depth (whose fault is that?). Likely the worse season in my lifetime. We all know the excuses for this year.

So Dino's tenure has been marked by one great season, 4 stinkers, and lots of excuses. We all love Dino and want him to succeed but he is lucky enough to be one of the few P5 coaches in the country. It is a gig that is aspired to by coaches at all other levels. He makes a good salary. Results are expected and excuses, even if they are valid for a given year, get old after awhile (as do poor results)

The point comes when the world doesn't want to hear about the labor pains; it just wants to see the baby.

The Program needs better players.

To do that, you need a stable program - you need coaches who can establish relationships.

If you fire Dino, you have to start all over again.

I don't think that's necessary.

I am confident that with a restored Dome and other improvements, Dino can recruit better talent to the Program.

To do that, you need a stable program - you need coaches who can establish relationships.

I am confident that with a restored Dome and other improvements, Dino can recruit better talent to the Program.
I hope ur right, but I'm far from confident in that. I don't see a history of good decisions, and dont see any reason to believe that pattern changes.

I just think it hurts the Program - and his wildly inaccurate - to even suggest in a public setting that it is the worst in college football.

You think if it's not discussed on this board that none of the rest of the country notices? This is the thinking that is killing the program.

I just think it hurts the Program - and his wildly inaccurate - to even suggest in a public setting that it is the worst in college football.

well said

You think if it's not discussed on this board that none of the rest of the country notices? This is the thinking that is killing the program.

No.

I have no doubt that nobody across the country is making that assessment.

And the notion that we need to discuss whether we have the worst football program in the USA, in order to prevent the killing of the program is illogical to me.

Our best players are our youngest players.

We are recruiting better talent.

Actually our two best players only played 2.5 seasons. Imagine having Cisco and Trill back for next year. When you recruit talent like that, you expect to get at least 4 years.

I don’t mean to be making excuses, but what we’re seeing with those 2 is abnormal and unfortunate for the program. Hopefully fortunate for them come draft day.

Dino up to 10,500 today. Hopefully hes fine tuning the game plan.

Actually our two best players only played 2.5 seasons. Imagine having Cisco and Trill back for next year. When you recruit talent like that, you expect to get at least 4 years.

I don’t mean to be making excuses, but what we’re seeing with those 2 is abnormal and unfortunate for the program. Hopefully fortunate for them come draft day.

I was referring to the players on the field now - after Cisco and Trill.

I think the issue is that some here believe Dino can get it done still while others have lost your faith that Dino can bring us back to winning and going to bowl games consistently again. Stability is key but we have to do it with the right HC & Staff.

Our best players are our youngest players.

We are recruiting better talent.
Maybe. Only time will tell. What's a reasonable amount of time to turn a program around? 5 years? 6? 7?

The decisions this staff made in years 1-4 are showing up in year 5.

Its 7:30 am. $3750.00 since Midnight for Dinos dreams of Hawaii and morning routine.
Hopefully hes got La Familia ready to go today. I just want to see the kids play hard.

Maybe. Only time will tell. What's a reasonable amount of time to turn a program around? 5 years? 6? 7?

The decisions this staff made in years 1-4 are showing up in year 5.

What were those decisions?

What were those decisions?
I have no idea, that's just the way things work. If I decide eat too much I gain weight. If I decide to hire a coach I get the results of that decision. We are the result of our decisions, and I'm betting there have been decisions made that have led to our current state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom