Assistants | Syracusefan.com

Assistants

orangenauburn

2023 Cali Award Average Attendance
who would you like to see brought in and why if there are any changes made during the offseason?

Would D. Darius be considered?

Hmm that is intersting. I know he is big into mentoring kids and loves the program. I am not sure how well he would do in coaching kids up. One thing he does not lack is passion for the game and university.

Ralph Friedgen, offensive coordinator. Great offensive mind, got a raw deal from Maryland. Is originally from Harrison, NY. Believe he was the Offensive Coordinator at Georgia Tech when HCDM was coaching there as well. Would be a HUGE upgrade and you gotta believe he would welcome the chance to stick it back to UM. That being said, there's speculation down here in North Carolina that he is on UNC's radar an an OC.

Ralph Friedgen, offensive coordinator. Great offensive mind, got a raw deal from Maryland. Is originally from Harrison, NY. Believe he was the Offensive Coordinator at Georgia Tech when HCDM was coaching there as well. Would be a HUGE upgrade and you gotta believe he would welcome the chance to stick it back to UM. That being said, there's speculation down here in North Carolina that he is on UNC's radar an an OC.
Interesting thought. I like the idea.

I've really been intrigued by that one too. Really would be an investment by the administration. Not going to be cheap have Marrone, Schafer, and Fridge all on the same payroll. But, the rewards could be huge. Offensive upgrade, allows DM to focus on other areas, and someone with inside info to help guide us through our first year or two of ACC play.

I think the first question is DG/SU willing to put up the cash to get some big name assistants?

As stubborn as Morrone is I feel it's still his offense regardless of who comes in as OC.

Fridge would show commitment from all parties involved

I'd love to have Fridge on the staff. But I don't see it, if only because the clamoring for him to become HC if we stumble would be outrageous. I doubt either Marrone or Gross want to deal with that.

interesting angle scooch -- agree with that logic

interesting angle scooch -- agree with that logic

Fridge is a significantly more accomplished HC than Marrone. Typically when those kind of guys take coordinator gigs they do it for entrenched HCs.

Honestly if they could get him to SU I'd prefer to see him as the HC.

Marrone could coach STs. ;)

I don't think SU could afford Fridge at OC

who would you like to see brought in and why if there are any changes made during the offseason?

The Fridge as OC and the ST guy from the Girls.

I think we have to get used to Hackett...maybe he improves

I'm inclined to believe you, but Doug did dump Spence like a bad habit after a year. I think Hackett sticks around, but I wouldn't mind if it was in a lesser role. He's still really young. Bring in an established OC, have Hackett coach QBs/TEs, and let Doug be the CEO.

Fridge is a significantly more accomplished HC than Marrone. Typically when those kind of guys take coordinator gigs they do it for entrenched HCs.

Honestly if they could get him to SU I'd prefer to see him as the HC.

Marrone could coach STs. ;)

You do realize that Fridge had 4 losing seasons in 7 when he had his own players at Maryland? He had 3 10 win plus seasons his first three years using Vanderlinden's roster he stocked then proceeded to go 24-32 in conference and 44-44 over the final 7 years of his tenure. Yeah his overall record looks good but it was top heavy. I fondly remember Coach P's 10 win seasons too but it doesn't mean I want him to be SU's head coach again.

Friedgen as an OC I do like though. His disdain for Maryland is so high now that he probably has no problem coaching at UNC or any other ACC school for that matter though, so he'd be a very tough get for SU.

With Moore and Hackett we already have two too many coaches who don't have any experience. Adding a 3rd in Darius would be a bad idea.

Whether Hackett stays or goes he needs to have less duties. Being the OC, QB and TE's coach is absurd.

He's also going to have to rethink the rest of the assignments defensively. Go back to 2 DB coaches? 1 LB coach or 2 LB coaches? He's got a DE and DL coach now.

Honestly, I'm tired of bringing in former SU alum's into the coaching staff. How about Dougie goes out and get's semi-proven talent.

I wouldn't mind seeing them go the FCS route. I don't know much about those teams - Harvard, NH, Albany, Cornell

If Marrone is a little too NFL-minded in terms of approach and scope of the offense, maybe a coordinator or head coach from a proven FCS offense would help him adapt it for lesser talent. Who on this staff offers anything like that? Hackett? Wheatley? Moore? I doubt that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom