Class of 2018 - ATH Atrilleon Williams (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 ATH Atrilleon Williams (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

I'm hoping Williams is the one to take over that safety spot. One year in the defense and then start at safety. Hope he is gonna be as good as I think he can be.
I'd rather start him as a CB as early mistakes can be avoided with safety help, as opposed to having a spotlight on him early.

I also believe a shutdown CB is far more important to a team, and I believe Trill can be that player almost immediately.

I'd rather start him as a CB as early mistakes can be avoided with safety help, as opposed to having a spotlight on him early.

I also believe a shutdown CB is far more important to a team, and I believe Trill can be that player almost immediately.
I agree.

Are we looking at Kevin Gray? Good sized ‘19 getting all state recognition. (6’3” 220 lb. LB) We have his teammate.

A

And that would work also. Just hate how our safetys "help out" and now 2 people get burned. Plus if trill does this at corner he should be pressing rec at line of scrimmage with his size.

A

And that would work also. Just hate how our safetys "help out" and now 2 people get burned. Plus if trill does this at corner he should be pressing rec at line of scrimmage with his size.
As a true freshman, press coverage would be risky in anything but perfectly timed situations. As he gets some experience under his belt, his utility in that regard should improve. I'd much rather see him utilizing his size/speed to leverage the WR's heavily though. Just want to make sure we somewhat temper our expectations for this kid while he's learning on the fly.

As a true freshman, press coverage would be risky in anything but perfectly timed situations. As he gets some experience under his belt, his utility in that regard should improve. I'd much rather see him utilizing his size/speed to leverage the WR's heavily though. Just want to make sure we somewhat temper our expectations for this kid while he's learning on the fly.

Most corners actually prefer press coverage ( I know I did). Primarily because it doesn’t allow the WR a full release and the ability to hit full speed while the CB is still relatively stationary.

It also allows the corner to steer the receiver towards their help (force them inside our outside).

Press can certainly be “scary” if you do not have help over the top and it is a deep one on one situation, but if the kid can play he’ll play.

Most corners actually prefer press coverage ( I know I did). Primarily because it doesn’t allow the WR a full release and the ability to hit full speed while the CB is still relatively stationary.

It also allows the corner to steer the receiver towards their help (force them inside our outside).

Press can certainly be “scary” if you do not have help over the top and it is a deep one on one situation, but if the kid can play he’ll play.
I agree that most prefer press coverage, however, asking a true freshman to man up without the requisite experience against faster, stronger and oftentimes, more experienced receivers, is a bit aggressive. Experienced D1 receivers have learned more of the "tricks of the trade," so to speak. I played WR at D3 Ithaca (haha, doesn't say much for my overall talent level!). When I was a junior and senior and lined up against a freshman trying to press me, I ate his lunch. Safety help was key in those situations.

Your second line, "allows the corner to steer the receiver towards their help," is what I was referring to as leveraging the receivers. Taking an inside position to force the WR to go over the top or outside is an example. This is definitely something that doesn't require as much experience as mano-a-mano press coverage. Experience is less a factor in this type of coverage and thus can be used more effectively by younger DBs.

I think we're actually on the same page, but wanted to clarify.

I don't want him playing as true freshman unless he is a absolute stud who is clearly better than who we have now. As Jimmy would say, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Needs to sit and get used to speed and the defense.

I don't want him playing as true freshman unless he is a absolute stud who is clearly better than who we have now. As Jimmy would say, the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores. Needs to sit and get used to speed and the defense.
We are 4-8 the last two seasons.

I would be shocked if he did not play next year. We're not at the point where we can just stockpile talent. I wish we were, but we're not. If Trill can help, Trill will play.

The best guy plays. Winning now begats more winning later. We don't need to worry about redshirting a guy so we can have him for one more year. We need to show high school kids what they can do in our defense so that we can recruit the replacements for anyone that is on the team now.

Good news, he is a absolute stud who is clearly better than who we have now.

Not all freshman become sophomores. Occasionally, they're the best player on the team and lead the team to the promised land.

Good news, he is a absolute stud who is clearly better than who we have now.
How is he better than anyone we have now? Trust me, he wasn't playing ACC level competition.

How is he better than anyone we have now? Trust me, he wasn't playing ACC level competition.
What high school kid was? Some kids just have "it". Why are we acting like it would be surprising for a freshman to get serious playing time in a secondary that hasn't been great? Haven't we been asking for a recruit that could step in a push less talented veterans aside? Maybe this kid is one that can and we can't believe it's possible?

What high school kid was? Some kids just have "it". Why are we acting like it would be surprising for a freshman to get serious playing time in a secondary that hasn't been great? Haven't we been asking for a recruit that could step in a push less talented veterans aside? Maybe this kid is one that can and we can't believe it's possible?
sure and I definitely hope so. Yeah, the ACC level talent comment was egregious so let me rephrase...he isn't playing south Florida, Texas, Georgia talent.

sure and I definitely hope so. Yeah, the ACC level talent comment was egregious so let me rephrase...he isn't playing south Florida, Texas, Georgia talent.
Using the word egregious was egregious, but is indicative of your ability to write at an ACC level.

That's not insignificant but gets overblown. He's gone against elite talent at camps and has the measureables. Mike Hart was undersized, slow, and played, what, class D in section 3. Didn't he lead the big 10 in rushing as a freshman after not starting the first 2 or 3 games. It'll get sorted out in practice and he'll play if he's ready. Isn't he the highest rated DB we've landed in a while? It's premature to give him his redshirt already after the depth issues we had in the secondary last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom