Class of 2017 - ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC

June/July has traditionally been that timeframe for SU. I'll be worried if we're in August with the same # we have now.
I wouldn't get worried if it isn't the normal timeframe. This is a program with a recent history that hasn't been great. You have a staff that, although they have won elsewhere, is unproven at SU. Kids can be waiting for "evidence". And the kids they seem to be targeting keep blowing up. This recruiting cycle could go all the way to February.

I think Dino just wants bigger backers as I sat by this kid for a few games and I never thought he was 6'2" .

Dino just the other day said he wasn't sold on the NYS FOR 2017 which might have played a roll here.My guess we backed off of him.

I think Dino just wants bigger backers as I sat by this kid for a few games and I never thought he was 6'2" .

Dino just the other day said he wasn't sold on the NYS FOR 2017 which might have played a roll here.My guess we backed off of him.
i am very confused, and somewhat disappointed if WE rejected this kid. national player in our own backyard.

I don't know whose decision it was, perhaps it was a mutual thing.
I can say that looking around this is the season for decommitting. I don't think I have seen so many decommits this early or so many transfers as this year.

Looks like we lost a good one, the better the player the tougher to keep, but I don't know why people insist at always looking at the what are or did we do wrong all the time as if there is some HUGE fundamental flaw in Coach Baber's philosophy. The kid committed to the old staff and they aren't there anymore. Kids flip change their minds constantly. Biggest issue is he committed to old staff not this one

Looks like we lost a good one, the better the player the tougher to keep, but I don't know why people insist at always looking at the what are or did we do wrong all the time as if there is some HUGE fundamental flaw in Coach Baber's philosophy. The kid committed to the old staff and they aren't there anymore. Kids flip change their minds constantly. Biggest issue is he committed to old staff not this one

Whenever a kid decommits fans question why. This isn't unique to Coach Babers. We always want to know was it the player or the school, and why.

SUFaninNJ said:
Whenever a kid decommits fans question why. This isn't unique to Coach Babers. We always want to know was it the player or the school, and why.

Of course - but most of the time it's the most obvious answer.

We haven't talked to him since spring ball started, I don't think the staff is losing sleep here. I'm sure they have their reasons.

If Dino wants his guys fine. But I never like a bonafide D1 caliber player from down the turnpike, going to a conference rival, which it seems will happen here. If the kid was from any other state, so be it, but the fact he was a NYer, maybe we try and work around any issues that may have popped up.

Ive been telling you guys. Not too many people backed me up. Im sure this staff saw some things they didnt like and decided to give him the cold shoulder. It's still not good. Whatever they didnt like, they couldnt have gave more effort to make it right? He is a good player and is a top 5 in NYS. You have to sacrifice some things to set your self up down the line for future prospects. McDuffie is a good player. This isnt like taking a flyer on a average player. I totally disagree with this. Whatever it is. It better be really bad. This hurts relations in NYS. Its showing a trend. They need to get some NYS commits because right now they are telling the state that no one is good enough. Thats not good. We cant defend the coaches for this.

Last edited:
Dino can do no wrong for atleast 1 year. Sucks for the kid I hope and think he will get a D1 scholarship somewhere else. I trust in Dino's judgment he knows what he is doing and isn't learning on the job.

Ive been telling you guys. Not too many people backed me up. Im sure this staff saw some things they didnt like and decided to give him the cold shoulder. It's still not good. Whatever they didnt like, they couldnt have gave more effort to make it right? He is a good player and is a top 5 in NYS. You have to sacrifice some things to set your self up down the line for future prospects. McDuffie is a good player. This isnt like taking a flyer on a average player. I totally disagree with this. Whatever it is. It better be really bad. This hurts relations in NYS. Its showing a trend. They need to get some NYS commits because right now they are telling the state that no one is good enough. Thats not good. We cant defend the coaches for this.

And how are you "sure" of this?

The only way we are ever going to get NY kids like Curtis Samuel etc is by winning. Not by taking some solid NY kid that the staff doesn't think is a good fit. I think this kid is a solid player and was happy to have him but he is a Shafer recruit so not shocked at all. If Dino and crew doesn't think he fits then you move on. I don't like the cold shoulder thing however.

The only way we are ever going to get NY kids like Curtis Samuel etc is by winning. Not by taking some solid NY kid that the staff doesn't think is a good fit. I think this kid is a solid player and was happy to have him but he is a Shafer recruit so not shocked at all. If Dino and crew doesn't think he fits then you move on. I don't like the cold shoulder thing however.
Agree, now whenever this is thought to be the case, it comes from the athlete and the school never has a chance to provide its' side. That being said, there should NEVER be a time when a kid is left without an explanation. Whether that gets reported back to the media or not. Call the kid, talk to the parent, and call the coach. Standard operating to create good will and be upstanding. Have no idea if that was the case here. Perhaps Dino and crew did talk to the family and they mutually decided to part ways. The media does like to sensationalize. Nonetheless and in general, we have 20 people on staff with the football program. Plenty of time to smooth the edges when issues like this arise. This kid has plenty of other offers and its early. In no way should this have ruffled feathers.

Maybe McDuffie doesn't want to play in and tampa2 scheme. I know I wouldnt'.

Haven't heard from us since Feb. Maybe in Feb the coaches told him he wouldn't be part of the plans and we will honor your commit if you do decide to come. Then haven't talked to him since. We don't know what was said in that last conversation.

jr4750 said:
If Dino wants his guys fine. But I never like a bonafide D1 caliber player from down the turnpike, going to a conference rival, which it seems will happen here. If the kid was from any other state, so be it, but the fact he was a NYer, maybe we try and work around any issues that may have popped up.

I wouldn't try to keep a kid for optics alone. If Babers wants his guys, I think we roll with him.

sure of what?
Your post said:
"Im sure this staff saw some things they didnt like and decided to give him the cold shoulder. It's still not good. Whatever they didnt like, they couldnt have gave more effort to make it right?"

Do you claim to have some inside information, or is this pure conjecture? Your post implicates the current staff, when in reality, none of us really know how this all came down. Until I learn otherwise, I'm willing to give Babers the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn't try to keep a kid for optics alone. If Babers wants his guys, I think we roll with him.

Totally agree. By no means do I want to tick off coaches in the state, but I have never, nor will I ever, accept the premise that the few 5 star type kids in NYS will come here because we play nice with some 3 star kids. The big shot kids will come here only if we win(and that is a big maybe). Dino and staff find a NYS kid who fits their schemes on either side of the ball, great, bring him in. If they don't fit, don't bring him in.

Of course - but most of the time it's the most obvious answer.

Yes, quite often, but I was responding primarily to the comment about it being a flaw in Baber's philosophy. More than likely, as has been pointed out earlier, Babers wants his own guys. That being said, many people are generally curious as to the why and who might be the one who called it off, even if the answer tends to seem obvious.

Totally agree. By no means do I want to tick off coaches in the state, but I have never, nor will I ever, accept the premise that the few 5 star type kids in NYS will come here because we play nice with some 3 star kids. The big shot kids will come here only if we win(and that is a big maybe). Dino and staff find a NYS kid who fits their schemes on either side of the ball, great, bring him in. If they don't fit, don't bring him in.
Dino and the staff coached many players that didnt fit their schemes. They developed them in 2 years and had success. A 6'2 205 pound kid that is defensive player of the year with multiple P5 offers. Doesnt make sense. It has to be something other than physical skill and scheme fit.

Yeah kids don't want to play in a common base defense that can showcase what they can do to NFL teams...

thats correct, plenty of kids don't. a lot of kids prefer an aggressive attacking scheme. and plenty of big time d-coordinators run that style. so yeah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom