Class of 2020 - ATH Jalen Berger (NJ) Offered | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 ATH Jalen Berger (NJ) Offered

Ohio State is Ohio State. They could go 0-12 next season and kids would go there over SU. Let's be realistic.

We have a chance at Berger but it's really early in the process.
This simply isn't true. All kids or some kids? Of course some will pick Ohio State, some will pick SU. Big programs are big because they win. If they go 0-12 many top recruits will not go there, a few will but then the loss count mounts and they lose a few more each year.

This simply isn't true. All kids or some kids? Of course some will pick Ohio State, some will pick SU. Big programs are big because they win. If they go 0-12 many top recruits will not go there, a few will but then the loss count mounts and they lose a few more each year.
Ohio State, Bama, Texas and Oklahoma are the exceptions. They could have a losing season and still pull in a top 15 recruiting class. Its a way of life in those states, you grow up playing football to commit to your state’s college

Ohio State, Bama, Texas and Oklahoma are the exceptions. They could have a losing season and still pull in a top 15 recruiting class. Its a way of life in those states, you grow up playing football to commit to your state’s college
0-12? or a losing record. I think very specifically you are right. They could be 5-7 and still pull in a top 15 class. But that in turn possibly starts a cycle of more trouble that in turn starts with firing of a coach.. which impact recruiting further.. which creates growing pains for a new staff... which creates more transfers...
What posters try to imply which I think is wrong is losing has absolutely no impact on anything for a few untouchable programs. Can you imagine if Alabama had a losing record next year? They'd blow up thew program and send Saban on his way. Oh by the way Texas just a few yrs ago was struggling and not getting top 20 classes nor records.

Last edited:
Ohio State is Ohio State. They could go 0-12 next season and kids would go there over SU. Let's be realistic.

We have a chance at Berger but it's really early in the process.
You’re missing my point. Of course OSU is OSU but they just lost their HOF worthy Head Coach and their new coach doesn’t have a track record of leading a winning program.

In contrast we have a HC who has repeatedly proven he can win on multiple levels of CFB.

Losing Urban Meyer is a blow to that program and we are in a great position to capitalize on that.

If OSU went 0-12 we would DEFINITELY win recruiting some battles against them. It’s silly, and insulting to Dino to suggest otherwise but you prob know that since you think we have a chance with Berger.

Lame to post such negative stuff about The Cuse on a thread a recruit and his family may very well read.

Hey Berger -
Come to The Cuse! You will be the featured back in Dino’s high octane offense. Your family can travel to every home game and watch you run wild all over the Dome turf! You will be the golden child here and I promise you will NEVER regret going orange #OITNF

You’re missing my point. Of course OSU is OSU but they just lost their HOF worthy Head Coach and their new coach doesn’t have a track record of leading a winning program.

In contrast we have a HC who has repeatedly proven he can win on multiple levels of CFB.

Losing Urban Meyer is a blow to that program and we are in a great position to capitalize on that.

If OSU went 0-12 we would DEFINITELY win recruiting some battles against them. It’s silly, and insulting to Dino to suggest otherwise but you prob know that since you think we have a chance with Berger.

Lame to post such negative stuff about The Cuse on a thread a recruit and his family may very well read.

Hey Berger -
Come to The Cuse! You will be the featured back in Dino’s high octane offense. Your family can travel to every home game and watch you run wild all over the Dome turf! You will be the golden child here and I promise you will NEVER regret going orange #OITNF
Huh? What just happened in this post?

Biggest thing for me is we are in this whether Ohio st. Or anyone else is too. This kid could be dynamic and with TD’s help we may pull it off and we may not. When we are fighting these teams everyday for recruits then we will know we belong. Yes I understand we won’t get a lot of them but we are a school that as u have seen can do with what we have but want elite kids to be the best we can be. I feel dline will improve in next five years b cause we will have 3 kids drafted in nfl with Slayton Robinson and Coleman. Kids will see we have excellent coaches and they can get them to the league. We can be who we want to be with great coaching and player development.

160E1010-9B09-4FDA-B7D7-1AD02AFC2087.gif

Bama is not an exception, from 1997-2007 they were a very up and down program with a bunch of losing seasons and their recruiting classes reflected that. That obviously all changed when Saban got there.

If a team is losing recruiting will suffer and there are pretty much no exceptions, it’s just when those power teams like Bama, Texas, USC, OSU, etc. are winning their recruiting is off the charts as opposed to other perennial winners who don’t have the same cache, like a Wisconsin for instance.

The site that never sleeps has Jalen rated as .9742. That pretty close to 5* Could he be our first 5 since...?

Bama is not an exception, from 1997-2007 they were a very up and down program with a bunch of losing seasons and their recruiting classes reflected that. That obviously all changed when Saban got there.

If a team is losing recruiting will suffer and there are pretty much no exceptions, it’s just when those power teams like Bama, Texas, USC, OSU, etc. are winning their recruiting is off the charts as opposed to other perennial winners who don’t have the same cache, like a Wisconsin for instance.

I agree -- nobody is immune to having down times and I don't think kids would want to play for a losing program, no matter who it is. But I would also add that if/when a power is losing, their capability to reload in a hurry is much greater than programs like Syracuse.

For example, Texas had a run of 12 straight 9-win seasons, including 10 10+ win seasons in a row, including a national title and a runner up. Then, after a run of four years without a 10-win season (8 & 2 9's), Mack Brown is let go.

Charlie Strong signs a 5-year deal. 3 years in, not good enough -- bought out. Now Tom Herman has arrived and they won 10 games last year (albeit in 14 games) and finished in the Top 10.

Unfortunately, if we sign a guy to a 5-year deal, we are with that coach for 4 of those years most likely -- even if the first 2-3 are disastrous (Robinson, Greg). And it takes that much longer to dig out for the next coach. Vicious cycle...

Texas/Alabama/USC/Ohio State have more money & have a better recruiting base. Texas, California, the southern states and Ohio are all fertile grounds.

The title of this thread should be Where in the World is Jalen Berger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom