"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Wisconsin dominate Houston the other week (and Ga Tech last week, and Marquette over the wknd).
Surely that makes Wisconsin uber-athletic.
How about you give us your definition?

you tell me. explain Jonathan Davis‘ game to me.
Johnny Davis seems to have a well-rounded game but that's not close to the point - the Wisconsin team dominated those 3 high-level teams they played, and I'm at a loss (sincerely!) as to how, seeing as they're apparently unathletic as a team - or, are they?

Jonny Davis seems to have a well-rounded game but that's not close to the point - the Wisconsin team dominated those 3 high-level teams they played, and I'm at a loss (sincerely!) as to how, seeing as they're apparently unathletic as a team - or, are they?
They aren’t unathletic. You assumed because you never watched them play

I don't have one, but I do know good high-level basketball players when I see them, and it turns out we have several of those on this team.
What word should a person use to describe someone who can’t jump as high or run as fast as another person?

They aren’t unathletic. You assumed because you never watched them play
wait, what? I watch virtually every game Wisconsin plays (wife is an alum)

What word should a person use to describe someone who can’t jump as high or run as fast as another person?
Not sure. What word should a person use to describe someone whose team scores more points than the other team?

Indeed.
ath·let·ic
/ˌaTH(ə)ˈledik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    physically strong, fit, and active.

Definition of unathletic
    : lacking the qualities (such as agility or muscular strength)

fast twitch muscles vs. slow twitch. That leads to greater burst, better quickness, better agility and thus better performance on the court/fields and also helps in speed.

theres a reason in the college football world one of the (many) parameters used in recruiting kids by those in the know, in this case in particular the recruitment of Italian decent kids, is they look favorably if a kid is from Sicily with that heritage vs. mainland. They have a good amount of fast twitch.....I'll give ya one guess why with a hint. It has all to do with geography.

Last edited:
ath·let·ic
/ˌaTH(ə)ˈledik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    physically strong, fit, and active.

Definition of unathletic
    : lacking the qualities (such as agility or muscular strength)

wow dictionary!
Coaches/ADs should just start posting ads around town - "Are you strong, fit, and active? Are you agile? Come play on our basketball team!"

Unathletic is playing basketball below the rim and not being able to break down the man covering you

Unathletic is playing basketball below the rim and not being able to break down the man covering you
OK, so does a team have to have several of those players to be good in high-major college basketball?

If you say so, but I honestly can’t understand how it is difficult to tell the difference between a athletic guy vs a guy who may be good at basketball but not have great athletic abilities.
Nobody is going to claim Larry Bird had great athletic ability, but he is obviously one of the best to ever play the game.
I will make the claim that Larry Bird had great athletic ability. He had incredible balance, hand-eye coordination, reflexes, elite-level body coordination and elite neuro-muscular efficiency. Sure, his jumping ability was mediocre, but he could still throw it down with 2 hands. He checks enough of the boxes, imo.
You won't convince me that an all-time great in any pro sport isn't a great athlete.

wow dictionary!
Coaches/ADs should just start posting ads around town - "Are you strong, fit, and active? Are you agile? Come play on our basketball team!"
If they have all those qualities and can shoot the rock I’m sure they would look at them.

I will make the claim that Larry Bird had great athletic ability. He had incredible balance, hand-eye coordination, reflexes, elite-level body coordination and elite neuro-muscular efficiency. Sure, his jumping ability was mediocre, but he could still throw it down with 2 hands. He checks enough of the boxes, imo.
You won't convince me that an all-time great in any pro sport isn't a great athlete.
Is Minnesota Fats a great athlete? Is Willie Shoemaker a great athlete?

OK, so does a team have to have several of those players to be good in high-major college basketball?
Absolutely. You have to have 3. Its insane that we only have 1. We always without question have at least a SG and SF that is very athletic. And Jesse at this point is very skilled and athletic but isnt strong enough to hold onto a rebound. Very disheartening how easy the Nova supposed big guys took the ball away from him.

I don't have one, but I do know good high-level basketball players when I see them, and it turns out we have several of those on this team.

You're right. We have several "good" players. Therein lies the problem.

Still a fun team to root for, but there is a reality here.

Status
Not open for further replies.