"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. We're obv more athletic than Fl St then!
If you say so, but I honestly can’t understand how it is difficult to tell the difference between a athletic guy vs a guy who may be good at basketball but not have great athletic abilities.
Nobody is going to claim Larry Bird had great athletic ability, but he is obviously one of the best to ever play the game.

Is the OP a serious question or a veiled attempt at making a point.

Everyone knows what it means when someone says a basketball player is athletic or unathletic or skilled or unskilled. Athletic is all about movement, run fast, move side to side quickly, jump high. Look at how Benny moves compared to most of our players. He is athletic.

Most of our guys are not athletic. It doesn't mean they're not good at basketball because they are skilled. It also means that sometimes athletic players will be able to take advantage of their lack of athleticism.

Of course, the best basketball players are both: Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Rony Seikely, John Wallace, Carmelo Anthony, Jonny Flynn, Dion Waiters, etc. We don't have any of those types right now.

If you say so, but I honestly can’t understand how it is difficult to tell the difference between a athletic guy vs a guy who may be good at basketball but not have great athletic abilities.
Nobody is going to claim Larry Bird had great athletic ability, but he is obviously one of the best to ever play the game.
Larry Bird was a sick athlete...so disagree there

Is the OP a serious question or a veiled attempt at making a point.

Everyone knows what it means when someone says a basketball player is athletic or unathletic or skilled or unskilled. Athletic is all about movement, run fast, move side to side quickly, jump high. Look at how Benny moves compared to most of our players. He is athletic.

Most of our guys are not athletic. It doesn't mean they're not good at basketball because they are skilled. It also means that sometimes athletic players will be able to take advantage of their lack of athleticism.

Of course, the best basketball players are both: Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Rony Seikely, John Wallace, Carmelo Anthony, Jonny Flynn, Dion Waiters, etc. We don't have any of those types right now.
what if... a serious question yields answers (or, non-answers!) that make a point?

Larry Bird was a sick athlete...so disagree there

I would say he was a sick basketball player who was not all that athletic compared to his peers. His absolutely otherworldly skill and intelligence made him superior to many much more athletic opponents.

I would say he was a sick basketball player who was not all that athletic compared to his peers. His absolutely otherworldly skill and intelligence made him superior to many much more athletic opponents.
Again...just disagree. Watch the clip. hes dunking over dudes in like 1981. He hurt his back and changed his style. He was just as athletic if not more than your standard nba player in the early 80s

that Collin Gillespie was pretty athletic last night, especially coming back from knee surgery. Mac McClung is crazy athletic. Sure wish we had Kevin Huerter for a few seasons ...

Another indicator, at least to the "eye test," is physical proportionality, or extent of full physical maturation.

what if... a serious question yields answers (or, non-answers!) that make a point?
What if the intended point wasn't made passive aggressively?

Again...just disagree. Watch the clip. hes dunking over dudes in like 1981. He hurt his back and changed his style. He was just as athletic if not more than your standard nba player in the early 80s
Ok. So he fit the definition of an athletic player at that point.

there's no "faith" at all - I see the two terms bandied about in virtually every post on here I read, often in distinctly different context - I find them to be default/nebulous terms applied in an echo chamber sort of way, was hoping for some clearer definition
Well I provided an answer. What are your thoughts?

Well I provided an answer. What are your thoughts?
Your overall point in your "answer" post seems to ultimately be that the best basketball players combine a whole bunch of qualities to make them the best.

Your overall point in your "answer" post seems to ultimately be that the best basketball players combine a whole bunch of qualities to make them the best.
Again, I said that athleticism referred to quickness and strength. I gave specific comparisons of teams from today and 2016. What are your thoughts? Or do you just want to keep being coy and passive-aggressive?

Again, I said that athleticism referred to quickness and strength. I gave specific comparisons of teams from today and 2016. What are your thoughts? Or do you just want to keep being coy and passive-aggressive?
Or, maybe you (and many others) could come out and plainly say what they mean by "athletic"?

I watched Wisconsin dominate Houston the other week (and Ga Tech last week, and Marquette over the wknd).
Surely that makes Wisconsin uber-athletic.

Last edited:
Or, maybe you (and many others) could come out and plainly say what they mean by "athletic"?
What part of quickness and strength is so difficult to understand? Just say what you want to. My goodness.

I watched Wisconsin dominate Houston the other week (and Ga Tech last week, and Marquette over the wknd).
Surely that makes Wisconsin uber-athletic.
You don’t think Jonathan Davis is athletic? You sure you watched Wisconsin or you just assuming they dont have any athletic players?

Status
Not open for further replies.