Athleticism | Syracusefan.com

Athleticism

USC has two NFL wideouts. We just couldn't stay with them, unfortunately. We won't play against wideouts that good the rest of the season, not a QB that good, and possibly not even a RB that good except maybe for Ray Graham.

And we still hung pretty well with them despite some questionable play calls (not going for it), poor special teams play, and poor tackling.

A BE title is a very realistic goal. I think we can win every game on the rest of our schedule.

I think we will contend for the Big East title this year and go into the ACC as a strong program, rather than weak one. It's the first time in quite a while I've felt this good about the program.

But now we need to WIN.

Completely agree. USC has numerous pro players out there. When those guys are "on", they can't be stopped. And certainly not by Syracuse. I was impressed with Syracuse ability to keep the game close and keep coming back.

Midway thru 3rd q, I could actually envision a Cuse win. I never expected to think that going into the game.

The reason USC won today.

SU wasn't out-coached. SU wasn't really outplayed. USC beat us because they have superior athletes who can turn on a dime.

I'm damn proud of the team.

Definitely better athleticism on USC. But also out coached. The better team took more chances.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

But also out coached. The better team took more chances.

I disagree. How yards did USC pick up on cut backs, reverses, and throws in the flat?

Yeah, we shouldn't have punted a couple of times.

But USC was rarely aggressive on offense. One of Barkley's longest passes ended up as a Shamarko pick. They weren't taking shots down field.

Definitely better athleticism on USC. But also out coached. The better team took more chances.

Barkley's attempts over 20 yards could be counted on one hand

We were definitely NOT out coached. I think the staff made a poor decision with the election to punt later in the game, but we shredded Monte's vaunted scheme. I'll talk about adjustments later, but we were able to make some subtle changes offensively and put up close to 300 yards in the second half.

USC has two elite WR prospects and an elite QB prospect. There's only so much you can do at this level.

I disagree. How yards did USC pick up on cut backs, reverses, and throws in the flat?

Yeah, we shouldn't have punted a couple of times.

But USC was rarely aggressive on offense. One of Barkley's longest passes ended up as a Shamarko pick. They weren't taking shots down field.

How many times did USC go for 4th down?

We were definitely NOT out coached. I think the staff made a poor decision with the election to punt later in the game, but we shredded Monte's vaunted scheme. I'll talk about adjustments later, but we were able to make some subtle changes offensively and put up close to 300 yards in the second half.

USC has two elite WR prospects and an elite QB prospect. There's only so much you can do at this level.

They took more risks and yet were the better team. Risk doesn't have to be long bombs.

Is going for it on fourth a better choice when the underdog stuffs you twice? I'd bet USC fans were screaming at Kiffin when they went for those and didn't make it.

How many times would they have gone for it if they had their kicker with them? He didn't even travel with the team, so they basically had to go for it.

Sure USC took more chances, but it's easier to do that when you're a 4 touchdown favorite. Kiffen went for it on 4th down twice early inside his own 50. I would argue that was more of his arrogance than anything, not a good coaching move...granted Doug should have gone for it on 4th down more than he did. As for being out coached no way! SU was put in position to make plays on the offense and defense throughout the game. Take away 4 huge plays where USC players cut back all the way across the field and just out ran us and a few bad throws and drops by us and we win the game. We were definitely NOT out coached by wonder boy!

Three times, all in the first quarter and they failed twice and didn't try it again. Nothing was scored by either team at the time and they had nothing to do with the outcome.

They took more risks and yet were the better team. Risk doesn't have to be long bombs.

Taking risks doesn't equate to outcoaching in my book.

Is going for it on fourth a better choice when the underdog stuffs you twice? .
Yes. Good choices don't always have good results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The reason USC won today.

SU wasn't out-coached. SU wasn't really outplayed. USC beat us because they have superior athletes who can turn on a dime.

I'm damn proud of the team.

I disagree. They were completely outplayed. SU has some athletes now. For example, Kobena can run every bit the way Woods and Lee can. He simply cant make the football plays they can make. USC has much better football players. Geez, even Barkley doesnt overmatch Nassib physically. He's simply a much better/more skilled player.

Di
Yes. Good choices don't always have good results.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I disagree here. Going for it on 4th and short on your half of the 50 is one of the dumbest things a head coach can do. If cuse would have actually turned that field position into points that would have completely changed the game. Terrible, terrible coaching calls in my opinion. If Lane is so smart then why doesn't every NFL coach do that also? So, you can knock Lane for not going for it. Then you can ding him again for not throwing with Lee and Woods. I agree that was all arrogance. I think Lane thought he should have scored on every position. And some time this year that is going to lead to a loss for USC. All because Lane is trying to prove Al Davis wrong.

Taking risks doesn't equate to outcoaching in my book.

In my book, when the other team is much better and has the better players, you have to take risks when they present themselves. We did not do that at all.

I disagree. They were completely outplayed. SU has some athletes now. For example, Kobena can run every bit the way Woods and Lee can. He simply cant make the football plays they can make. USC has much better football players. Geez, even Barkley doesnt overmatch Nassib physically. He's simply a much better/more skilled player.

We have different definitions of outplayed. SU's OL and DL did good things. We got pressure on Barkley, and somewhat limited the pressure on Nassib. The secondary did okay in coverage, Nassib found open receivers. To say completely outplayed in my eyes means embarrassed. We didn't get embarrassed.

Individual players made the difference. USC has players who can make guys miss. Syracuse's players don't quite have those skills.

As for Kobena, there's a huge difference between his game and Woods and Lee. Lee broke and switched and juked his way forward. Kobena can't read holes, let alone get through them. That, and he isn't too good at turning corners or making guys miss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom