NC State | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NC State

It seems like improbable runs like this often end up hurting programs/teams in the long run, because they choose to stay the course longer than they would have otherwise. I think that happened at Syracuse after the 2016 run to the Final Four. In a different sport - the Florida Panthers made the Stanley Cup Final in 1996, thought they were close to a championship when they weren't, started trading young players in their system for what they thought was the one missing piece - then proceeded to miss the playoffs for 12 of the next 14 years.

It'll be interesting if this run by NC St is going to drive them down the same path.

welp NC state just made the sweet 16

kinda interesting to see how difficult that game was for them when they didnt have the ref favortism they enjoyed in the ACCT...refs REALLY wanted the cinderella, Oakland...fouling out 2 NC state players and calling more fouls on NC state for the first time in at least 7 games.

the refs + oakland took it to overtime...but state got the deserved the win

Last edited:
Amazing what happens when a team has chemistry
Lol, I wonder where their chemistry was when they were losing four straight to end the season and losing 7 of their last 9 games. They were a very bad team in February/early March. They suddenly started clicking and caught lightning in a bottle.

If Marquette advances Sunday they smoke the pack next week.

After watching NC State's last seven games, I am seriously in love with DJ Burns. Not only is he a great player, he also might be the most delightful interviewee in the tournament. What an adorable personality in that huge, skilled body of his!

Last edited:
Lol, I wonder where their chemistry was when they were losing four straight to end the season and losing 7 of their last 9 games. They were a very bad team in February/early March. They suddenly started clicking and caught lightning in a bottle.

Bottomed out at the right time. It can be a tricky thing to do. You wonder how many teams were due to get hot in the tournament and lost to knock them out of it.

Bottomed out at the right time. It can be a tricky thing to do. You wonder how many teams were due to get hot in the tournament and lost to knock them out of it.
Exactly. If we hadn’t had the key injuries to Chance (all season) and McLeod, and Benny hadn’t continued to have his mental struggles, who knows if we had some sort of run in us. Our frontcourt size was really diminished after losing McLeod and Benny. Then again none of our guys were DJ Burns on offense, especially with the way he’s been playing. But Middlebrooks and Diarra have became a lot more effective as frontcourt players during this run for NC State.

NC St reminds me of SU’s 2015-2016 team that made the final 4. We had lost 5 of our last 6 games (9-9 and 9th place in conference) before eking into the tournament. I never thought we would go that far with how that team was playing, much like NC St this year. We even went 1-1 in the conference tournament thus starting our “run” later than NC St.

It's amazing how good a team can be (and look) when they have a center who can score and pass out of double teams with great vision and 2 wings who can shoot 3's and create their own shot off the bounce -- like NC State has played this last week.
It's not rocket science. Hit the portal Red.

I'm encouraged by the fact that with a new coach and the internal turmoil, we still hit the 20 game win mark: the Benny issues that eventually led to his dismissal, The quiet issues with Copeland, JT starting but not producing, McLeod going down early, and Westry never getting out the gate. We beat 2 sweet sixteen teams (NC state twice). There is hope. We just need guys to buy in and not be malcontents. I think Red has been through a lot and learned a lot this season which will be good for the team going forward.

After watching NC State's last seven games, I am seriously in love with DJ Burns. Not only is he a great player, he also might be the most delightful interviewee in the tournament. What an adorable personality in that huge, skilled body of his!
His soft touch shooting as well as his vision and passing ability are all very impressive. And his stamina is better than many thought. Remember when we faced NC State in the ACC Tournament and many were saying he couldn't play at a high level two days in a row because of his size?

NC St reminds me of SU’s 2015-2016 team that made the final 4. We had lost 5 of our last 6 games (9-9 and 9th place in conference) before eking into the tournament. I never thought we would go that far with how that team was playing, much like NC St this year. We even went 1-1 in the conference tournament thus starting our “run” later than NC St.
As mentioned after the Orange tourney loss to them...NCSU's talent is finally playing together up to their abilities.
Have them going to the Final 4 in one pool.

Imo, NC State never showed the promise that 2015-16 Cuse team showed early in the season winning the Battle for Atlantis and some of the other big wins along the way. But NC State seems to have figured something out. They’ve also gotten some help from the refs when it comes to DJ Burns fouling on every play.

It's amazing how good a team can be (and look) when they have a center who can score and pass out of double teams with great vision and 2 wings who can shoot 3's and create their own shot off the bounce -- like NC State has played this last week.
It's not rocket science. Hit the portal Red.
Yup. That combination of skill sets puts a lot of pressure on a defense. I'm with you, Red needs an interior scoring presence - doesn't necessarily have to be the 5. The roster is flawed without one.

Burns is a special talent. GREAT touch, footwork, decision making, passing, and a huge body. Unicorn.

I'm encouraged by the fact that with a new coach and the internal turmoil, we still hit the 20 game win mark: the Benny issues that eventually led to his dismissal, The quiet issues with Copeland, JT starting but not producing, McLeod going down early, and Westry never getting out the gate. We beat 2 sweet sixteen teams (NC state twice). There is hope. We just need guys to buy in and not be malcontents. I think Red has been through a lot and learned a lot this season which will be good for the team going forward.
Needs to stamp out the drama. Make it clear it's his way or the highway.

Lucky draw but they earned it with 5 wins in 5 days.

Could have easily been us. Hope we keep owning them regular season we've had their number since joining the ACC.

welp NC state just made the sweet 16

kinda interesting to see how difficult that game was for them when they didnt have the ref favortism they enjoyed in the ACCT...refs REALLY wanted the cinderella, Oakland...fouling out 2 NC state players and calling more fouls on NC state for the first time in at least 7 games.

the refs + oakland took it to overtime...but state got the deserved the win
You’d think the players shouldn’t even play the game with how much this board complains about refs.

You’d think the players shouldn’t even play the game with how much this board complains about refs.
its just weird to me how clearly biased the refs often are in favor of one team or the other

in the ACC, for example, they seem to favor the carolina schools...and legacy acc teams

in the NCAAT, they tend to favor the underdogs/"no-names"

in general, home teams get a huge boost, too

i just wonder why all of that is necessary. i guess it all goes back to profits and ratings...but for me, it undermines the product significantly...so the juice isnt worth the squeeze

and ive watched enough NCAABB to convince me that this impartiality does happen and isnt coincidental.

im genuinely curious about the behind the scenes aspect of it and the psychology of the decision making to side with certain teams or types of team - it feels like its been decided for some reason.

but yeah ... really isnt any benefit from complaining about it...i guess

either stop watching or accept it, right??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom