NC State | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NC State

Schools benefit in many ways from scheduling good non-conference opponents and playing in early season tournaments like Maui. Coaches learn the strengths and weaknesses of their team and it prepares them for the long season ahead. The thing which hurts your NCAA chances is not building a quality resume. Maui didn't hurt our tournament chances. What killed our NCAA resume was defeating only one quality opponent the entire season. UNC is the only team we beat that would have gotten an at-large bid this year.

Scheduling early non-challenging opponents builds up win totals, but it can also hurt your NCAA resume. Pitt loaded up on easy Quad 4 schools and was totally unprepared for ACC play where they started off 1-5. The Panthers won 12 of their last 15 games and would be a lock for the NCAAs if they hadn't played so many patsies early on.

The ACC is adding three more members who didn't make the Big Dance next season, including two schools that were PAC-12 bottom feeders this year. Avoiding tough preseason tournaments and good non-league opponents could be more costly in the future if the overall quality of the ACC does not improve. Go Cuse!
Loading up early, losing, can equally hurt your ncaa bid and your conference ranking right from the start sadly. Now the preseason tournaments are adding NIL money to lure teams that could hurt them in the long run unless you are positive you can compete at a high level right out of the gate.

thats still an extra bid

No. It now appears in all probability, that bid stealer, NCST, swapped with UVA. UVA was projected in by most bracketologists prior to all those potential bubble buster teams actually pulling it off in such unprecedented fashion yesterday.

Loading up early, losing, can equally hurt your ncaa bid and your conference ranking right from the start sadly. Now the preseason tournaments are adding NIL money to lure teams that could hurt them in the long run unless you are positive you can compete at a high level right out of the gate.
Losing a couple of early games in a tough tournament like Maui can definitely hurt a team's ranking in the Top 25 polls, but it doesn't greatly weaken a school's NCAA chances or the conference's ranking much. Every team has dozen of games remaining to built up a resume for postseason consideration. SU and UCLA are the only teams from Maui that are not going to this year's NCAAs and I believe their play after that tournament is what cost them NCAA bids.

I don't have an opinion yet on the impact that NIL payouts will have on future tournament participation, but it will definitely be influential. My biggest concerns right now revolve around the addition of three new members to the ACC and whether they will strengthen or weaken the conference's basketball and football standing.

Burns will eat Bacot for lunch.

Literally. :D :rolleyes: :) :cool::p

d.j. butterbean burns is fun to watch. amazing how he's crafted his game to fit his build.

Butterball > Bacot

Josh Pace + 100 lbs = DJ Burns
Think Which One GIF

Just by the eye test some teams that lost 6/8 games towards the end of the season should tell you that they aren’t exactly NCAA tournament material either. We won what four in a row and lost that first game because McNamara couldn’t move

Just by the eye test some teams that lost 6/8 games towards the end of the season should tell you that they aren’t exactly NCAA tournament material either. We won what four in a row and lost that first game because McNamara couldn’t move

If I recall correctly, GMac had a legit injury (groin or hamstring) after that BET run/championship that gave us that auto bid. There's a night & day difference between being physically spent, etc. from the 4 games in 4 days/5 games in 5 days versus being legitimately injured.

Last edited:
No. It now appears in all probability, that bid stealer, NCST, swapped with UVA. UVA was projected in by most bracketologists prior to all those potential bubble buster teams actually pulling it off in such unprecedented fashion yesterday.
we have to see how they decide before you can make such claims

BUT highly presumptive to assume that NC State stole UVA's actual bid

would have to imply UVA wouldve been the 69th team and that NC state was the 68th...the odds of that are basically nil

your claim is ONLY true if NC state steals UVA's bid...you are wrong if any other team steals UVA's

Last edited:
I wonder if this committee RE NC St. will be smarter than the 2006 committee, which took a SU team that was on the wrong side of the bubble then 4 games later made them a #5 seed, or top 20 team in the country. They got caught up in the hype and severely overseeded them.

I wonder if this committee RE NC St. will be smarter than the 2006 committee, which took a SU team that was on the wrong side of the bubble then 4 games later made them a #5 seed, or top 20 team in the country. They got caught up in the hype and severely overseeded them.
You don't have to worry about NC State being over seeded like that. Six different Big East schools were ranked in the Top 25 at some point in February and March of 2006. The ACC has only had two schools in the polls this year.

like i told you - 5 ACC teams in NCAAT

well done, ACC and ACC refs!

bravo

congrats everyone on the extra $$$$$$$

So I guess we can say now that you have officially come out of the closet?
Sure if it makes you feel better. One of the beauties of living in different parts of the country is it has allowed me to watch other conferences and get to know them too. Since I live in Iowa now, I will root for Iowa State since Syracuse isn't in it. But rooting for the underdogs to me has always been one of the biggest draws to watching the tournament.

Reactions: cto
like i told you - 5 ACC teams in NCAAT

well done, ACC and ACC refs!

bravo

congrats everyone on the extra $$$$$$$

Ha.

FWIW, if you go back to my initial reply (post #60) to yours (#56) I implied that it wasn't a sure thing as your post claimed due to all of those bid stealers pulling it off. And, with such an astonishing occurrence for bubble teams that were thought to be in, now Lunardi had them out, so, in all "probability," were now on the outside looking in.

Therefore, UVA seemingly being in that group being bumped, not by NCST per se, but from a comprehensive standpoint of the bubble busters, et al. And, that being the case, NCST took the 4th spot that UVA likely had if not for State (in the totality of what also transpired in the aforementioned other league's championship games) getting the auto bid. That's what I implied by my "swap" comment.

For what it's also worth, it appears UVA getting in over a few other schools is a subject of some controversy or at least one of surprise and debate from what I've seen out there. But, regardless, my main point was that the ACC getting 5 teams in wasn't a sure thing as you suggested, further supported by the Tuesday 'play-in' game.

But, go ahead and pound your chest after the fact if it makes you feel better and "telling me so."

Last edited:
during NC state's 5 game "miracle run"

they shot more foul shots than their opponents and got called for less fouls than their opponents in EVERY GAME

the 1st 2 games ridiculously so

NC STATE shot 128 free throws over that span

their opponents only shot 69

FYI that's almost 100% more free throws than their opponents

NC STATE got called for 64 fouls...opponents 88

the refs also fouled out key players like chris bell (who torched the hell of nc state in the previous game) and kyle filipowski...and gave 4 fouls to a few other key players ike maliq brown etc (in the syr game no nc state player had more than 2 fouls) DESPITE playing VERY PHYSICALLY ALL GAME

roll your eyes all you want...clearly you didnt watch the games...or even bother to check the box scores

as far as I can tell ACC accomplished their mission and probably gave their refs secret bonuses for making it happen - 5 NCAA teams instead of 4.

they shot more foul shots than their opponents and got called for less fouls than their opponents in EVERY GAME

the refs also fouled out key players like chris bell (who torched the hell of nc state in the previous game) and kyle filipowski...and gave 4 fouls to a few other key players ike maliq brown etc (in the syr game no nc state player had more than 2 fouls) DESPITE playing VERY PHYSICALLY ALL GAME

roll your eyes all you want...clearly you didnt watch the games...or even bother to check the box scores

as far as I can tell ACC accomplished their mission and probably gave their refs secret bonuses for making it happen - 5 NCAA teams instead of 4.
You just keep banging that drum.

Yeah, they couldn't keep a lid on Watergate, but Bubba and his friends have managed to fix games for years and no one has found out. :rolleyes:

Ridiculous.

State won because they played the best basketball in the tournament. It seems all the tournament games were played more physical than during the regular season.
yeah for sure

when you can eye gouge your opponenets with impunity...tends to be good for the ol Win-Loss record

Amazing what happens when a team has chemistry
AND a leader.
Loved when DJ Burns barked at his teammate and gave him a pop in the chest -think it was after a bad foul vs UVA in the semi(?)

It’s a good thing the refs made that buzzer beater banked 3 go in.
And UVA was too stupid to not foul the shooter before he could get the shot off.

Why nc state? Would have made more sense to favor SU or Pitt as those two teams could make the tourney with 3 wins and a loss in the final or an auto bid in winning the tourney ( two chances to make it instead of 1)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom