ATTENTION STUDENTS | Syracusefan.com

ATTENTION STUDENTS

44PRIDE

All Conference
THIS
l4728010.jpg

NOT THIS
app4869071255191662_medium.jpg

The students are the X Factor. A 35,000 crowd can feel like a 45,000 crowd if the students are into it. The rest of the dome feeds off of the students. The players definitely respond to the students. Be loud. Be organized. Be clever. Be "reasonably clean." Go Orange!

And this may finally be the year I just go down and sit in the student section.

The students are the X Factor. A 35,000 crowd can feel like a 45,000 crowd if the students are into it. The rest of the dome feeds off of the students. The players definitely respond to the students. Be loud. Be organized. Be clever. Be "reasonably clean." Go Orange!

And this may finally be the year I just go down and sit in the student section.

completely disagree...Syracuse is probably the one school in college sports where the students dont matter at all. Im sure ill get arguments from current and former students...but this school was and is loud and fun because of locals. I would say that probably since the early 90s the students at SU started being less and less fans and more just trying to get on tv with their belly shirts and fashion bullshit. I have been to many many events at many schools and ive never seen a school with such a crap student presence than at SU.

completely disagree...Syracuse is probably the one school in college sports where the students dont matter at all. Im sure ill get arguments from current and former students...but this school was and is loud and fun because of locals. I would say that probably since the early 90s the students at SU started being less and less fans and more just trying to get on tv with their belly shirts and fashion bullshit. I have been to many many events at many schools and ive never seen a school with such a crap student presence than at SU.

The student section has been spotty over the years. Some years great, some years poor. When they are into it, they make a big difference. Like SU over the last decade, they have to learn how to sustain.

Does anyone do anything to facilitate student attendance? Like a cook out or pregame activities?

A lot of Syracuse students come from the northeast, it's not like the south where you're raised with a pigskin in your mouth. You have to trick those yankees into showing up at the stadium the first time. After that maybe they're hooked.

Does anyone do anything to facilitate student attendance? Like a cook out or pregame activities?

A lot of Syracuse students come from the northeast, it's not like the south where you're raised with a pigskin in your mouth. You have to trick those yankees into showing up at the stadium the first time. After that maybe they're hooked.
I guess thats part of my problem... I was born and raised in Syracuse/Liverpool. Every single kid i knew was a diehard cuse fan for the most part from birth. We did everything we could to have parents bring us to games forever until we were capable of going ourselves... Im sick of this idea that people in the south are better fans than us up north. Im also sick of the excuse that Syracuse needs to do more to get the students in the seats..what the hell is that about? The whole idea of that just boggles my mind. THIS is why to me... locals, and students who are from CNY are the true lifeblood of SU Sports. Always have been, always will be.

Sorry, I knew those cheerios weren't the watering hole, but I couldn't help myself.

I agree completely about the locals but clearly someone needs to think a little harder about how to get the students to the games. Once you get them in the stands it's fun, they might want to do it again (and even pay for season tix.) Something is clearly not motivating students to attend the games despite a greatly improved on-the-field product the last few years.

Ill give you that. Even the product on the field debate shouldnt hold weight though. I cant tell you how many bad schools have great student presence.. St Bonaventure, UB somewhat..just to name a couple.

Sounds like a challenge. Too bad you can't post your message somewhere where some SU students could read it. Unfortunately, you are preaching to the choir here, so to speak.:noidea:

Ill give you that. Even the product on the field debate shouldnt hold weight though. I cant tell you how many bad schools have great student presence.. St Bonaventure, UB somewhat..just to name a couple.

Whoah there with the Bona's comment. You can belittle UB all you want, but comparing SU student fan support for the football team with Bona's support in basketball is apples to oranges.

Sounds like a challenge. Too bad you can't post your message somewhere where some SU students could read it. Unfortunately, you are preaching to the choir here, so to speak.:noidea:
true...

i was actually praising bona's support.
I know, but comparing Bona basketball with SU football isn't a good comparison. The dorms are a literal stones throw away. I still miss the old wood bleachers behind the visitors bench that could get way over capacity.

I know, but comparing Bona basketball with SU football isn't a good comparison. The dorms are a literal stones throw away. I still miss the old wood bleachers behind the visitors bench that could get way over capacity.

Well not only that, but if 1,200 Bonnie's fans stumble over to their game it looks huge. If 1,200 SU student wander into the Dome they get lost.

A few more afternoon/evening games will help student attendance. Noon games are for the diehards unfortunately.

Granted my 4 years at SU were the Grob years but I've found that most students are too hung over to go to a noon kickoff on a saturday. We just need quality opponents in there too.

this is partially why i hate students at SU... I was born and raised in The Salt City and liverpool. I happened to move away for a couple years and lived in Boston, yet kept my seasons tickets and drove home for every game. THIS WAS DURING THE GROB YEARS. I even went to away games during this time. THIS..is why locals are the heart of this program and university. THIS..is why the empty student sections makes me sick. If i can drive from Boston to Cuse for every game..half the time with hangovers myself...why the hell cant students walk 2 minutes to the football games. The student section isnt even that big in The Dome for football. Fill the damn thing every single game or don't complain when people laugh at your attempt at being fans. End of rant.

I am amazed at the lack of student support in recent years. For the 5 seasons I was there (93-97), I don't recall ever seeing the student section as empty as its been recently. And we didn't have Otto' s Army back then. For me, sports was a huge part of the college "experience", win or lose. I suppose the lack of student support correlates with the downturn in football, but with our play in recent years, there should be NO EXCUSES.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom