Available centers in the basketball portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Available centers in the basketball portal

Kids do not want to be backups. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand ? When JB anoints players like he does, going out and getting “depth” is not going to happen. Because that “depth” person thinks he should be starting.

Kids do not want to be backups. Why is this so hard for everyone to understand ? When JB anoints players like he does, going out and getting “depth” is not going to happen. Because that “depth” person thinks he should be starting.
Yep, that's why the play was to get a big forward that could start at forward and take backup center minutes. Cole leaving opened up that angle up. I can't believe we can't find a fit for that role.

Unless Jesse is staying for a 5th year, wouldn't the sell be learn the system for a year and then you can potentially get the starting role? There are only so many starting spots at the HM level. Plus, Jesse is a foul machine.

You make it sound like we have Tim Duncan returning at center.

I’m not certain Bacot is better. Per 100 possessions Edwards was more efficient. It’s about foul trouble for him.
Bacot is just a rebounding machine and even when he doesn’t secure them, he is battling. I think Jesse can be timid when rebounding (probably a result of foul issues when I think about it).

Yep, that's why the play was to get a big forward that could start at forward and take backup center minutes. Cole leaving opened up that angle up. I can't believe we can't find a fit for that role.
Is that JB "can't find a fit for that role" or JB doesn't think that he needs anything else to win next season? As some of us have said, JB is very content to roll with what he has currently. Very content...

Like the OP said, the pickings are slim. Not even Ballard was willing to come here and play 5-10 minutes a game. And JB doesn’t want a hybrid player who will also play forward.
That’s a poor excuse. Oregon has three or four centers including a returning starter and a top 100 recruit. The difference is that they actually play their bench. Lots of other programs are similar. Clingan is a top 50 center recruit joining a UConn team with a returning center (Sanogo) and backup already on the roster. there’s no reason Frank should be leaving or that we couldn’t have gotten Ballard.

Lots of fans still howling at the moon about JB and additional portal players. Some should take a look at the Whiskey and Bourbon thread in the off topic. you may need a bottle or two of the recommended in that thread to help you get through the summer ;)

I’m not certain Bacot is better. Per 100 possessions Edwards was more efficient. It’s about foul trouble for him.
If he gets anointed by the Duke Vitale types of the world, suddenly Edwards will get blocks instead of having fouls called. If he gets the star treatment (on both sides of the ball) from the officials, it could be amazing to watch.

We have someone who is the face of the program at center. It’s pretty close and he is going to play 35 minutes a game. It utilized the right way, he is the best center at both ends of the floor
FYI, I ran into Jesse Wednesday night. I asked him how his wrist was doing. He said it was great. Very nice young man.

Good for Jim if he is confident in the group. I seriously think that he is going all in on the frosh so that if he does retire which i think he might he leaves one of his guys with a solid team. One that can pick up a portal or two and have a very good year. As to next year the young Center coming off his injury is very talented and i wouldn't be surprised if he plays a bigger role than expected. Jim also has a frosh who is strong and tough on the boards as well as A coming back. I know people don't think much of him, but I believe he can give us 5 minutes a game. I think we will be ok. I expect a winning season and possibly a seat at the prom. Should be an interesting year.

That’s a poor excuse. Oregon has three or four centers including a returning starter and a top 100 recruit. The difference is that they actually play their bench. Lots of other programs are similar. Clingan is a top 50 center recruit joining a UConn team with a returning center (Sanogo) and backup already on the roster. there’s no reason Frank should be leaving or that we couldn’t have gotten Ballard.
Let’s see if Clingan stays… Players, especially freshman, are always confident they can compete for time, that doesn’t always come to fruition.

We have someone who is the face of the program at center. It’s pretty close and he is going to play 35 minutes a game. It utilized the right way, he is the best center at both ends of the floor
The problem is when he is off the court those 5 minutes, foul trouble, and god forbid another injury we’re looking at Carey playing extended minutes. Has Carey made a big leap recently?

The problem is when he is off the court those 5 minutes, foul trouble, and god forbid another injury we’re looking at Carey playing extended minutes. Has Carey made a big leap recently?
Impact player from day one!

Yes he can!

Good for Jim if he is confident in the group. I seriously think that he is going all in on the frosh so that if he does retire which i think he might he leaves one of his guys with a solid team. One that can pick up a portal or two and have a very good year. As to next year the young Center coming off his injury is very talented and i wouldn't be surprised if he plays a bigger role than expected. Jim also has a frosh who is strong and tough on the boards as well as A coming back. I know people don't think much of him, but I believe he can give us 5 minutes a game. I think we will be ok. I expect a winning season and possibly a seat at the prom. Should be an interesting year.

Keep filling up that hand with wishes, kcsu.

It’s kind of funny we have to keep pointing this out. For a transfer to occur there has to be mutual interest. Most of the time there is not here for a reason

It’s kind of funny we have to keep pointing this out. For a transfer to occur there has to be mutual interest. Most of the time there is not here for a reason
Right but how can there be mutual interest if we don't reach out to anyone (at least publicly it seems that way)?

It’s not an excuse, it’s the way things are. JB doesn’t play his bench. Anselem and Ballard both felt they deserved more minutes than they would get here.

As far as any remaining centers in the portal go…They’re also in the portal because they want more minutes. We don’t have enough to offer.

I admire your optimism, but I don’t share it.
The trend line over the last several years indicates more of the same.
I hope I’m wrong, but we lost more talent than we have acquired, at least in the short term, in my humble opinion
I would be delighted this coming March to say you were correct, but I don’t see it.

Impact player from day one!

Yes he can!
i feel like it kinda makes sense that some less heralded players would slip through the recruiting rankings cracks due to covid...would be awesome if carey is that

still want another C on the roster...maybe another high school player out there if JB wont portal???