Available centers in the basketball portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Available centers in the basketball portal

At some point there will be players without a place to go, no scholarship. There might be some fine GT that would not mind his last year at Syracuse as a 4/5 back up. I hope we are at least looking. Gillium (sp) was a back up and we saw how that worked out.

At some point there will be players without a place to go, no scholarship.

That’s already happening. Data that has been released by the NCAA shows that across all sports, 70% of the athletes that entered the portal did not end up with a scholarship at another school.

That’s already happening. Data that has been released by the NCAA shows that across all sports, 70% of the athletes that entered the portal did not end up with a scholarship at another school.
I wonder how that will change once all these kids with the free COVID year are gone. 4 years worth of kids got that extra year but there are still the same number of schools and scholarships available.

50%

Between 2020 and 2021, more than 16,000 graduate and undergraduate athletes have successfully transferred to another school, with football and men's basketball leading the way in portal entries.

What often goes unnoticed, and is a large reason this data was released, is the fact that over 50% of the athletes who've entered the portal never enrolled at a new school across the two years of data collected.

The NCAA reports that 7% of athletes in the portal withdraw their name without ever leaving the original school and 43% fall under the category of 'Active,' the default status when transferring, meaning they still remain in the portal without a new team.

Read More: Unseen Risks of Transfer Portal Leave Athletes High and Dry

I think one of the takeways is that there are a large swath of players that portal due to lack of playing time that rode pine because they didn't pan out as legit D1 players... and schools are passing on them in the portal on that assessment... or they hold out for program offers where they'll get the most playing time and those offers don't materialize and they are left standing with no chair when the music stops.

The grass definitely isn't always greener...

Last edited:
50%

I think one of the takeways is that there are a large swath of players that portal due to lack of playing time that rode pine because they didn't pan out as legit D1 players... and schools are passing on them in the portal on that assessment... or they hold out for program offers where they'll get the most playing time and those offers don't materialize and they are left standing with no chair when the music stops.

Where do you see 50? 3 times on sports shows they’ve said 70 although one said 68. Basketball or football alone was 54.

Where do you see 50? 3 times on sports shows they’ve said 70 although one said 68. Basketball or football alone was 54.

The link is in my post.

Did anyone see this? Is JB still planning on pounding the portal for a backup center?

Not having heard the whole thing for context, seems like he’s referring to when we were going after Ballard while there was still a possibility Frank could come back. But he does say we need a backup center. Maybe they’re still trying to get a backup center but not a forward.

50%

These numbers are highly skewed by the Jaylen Bartleys of the world.
Actual high end scholarship athletes are not having issues finding teams.

50%

Here’s another place I saw 70%. Maybe it’s different timelines.

“The NCAA analyzed data for all of the sports under its jurisdiction and found that only 30% (9,101) of Division I athletes who entered the portal across all sports transferred and received athletic aid at their new school, and 47% (14,293) of all entrants remain active.”

Did anyone see this? Is JB still planning on pounding the portal for a backup center?

We have a back-up center.

What we don't have is a back-up for the back-up.

Here’s another place I saw 70%. Maybe it’s different timelines.

“The NCAA analyzed data for all of the sports under its jurisdiction and found that only 30% (9,101) of Division I athletes who entered the portal across all sports transferred and received athletic aid at their new school, and 47% (14,293) of all entrants remain active.”
If it’s 70% it would seem easy to find at least one guy to want to play 5-10 minutes a game in the ACC.

We will get a back up center in the portal. No one on this board will be happy with it.
I’ll be fine with a 5 minute a game, emergency only center. There really isn’t much to choose nor many options when you have an established 30+ minute a game starter at that position. People here are being way too unrealistic about who they think will sign up for this.

Cuse!

We will get a back up center in the portal. No one on this board will be happy with it.
I will be, we need good not great. Someone whe can defend and rebound. A solid 3 star with some size is fine.Olds. BTW this makes me very happy to hear. I like a 4/5 but anything is better than nothing.

I’ll be fine with a 5 minute a game, emergency only center. There really isn’t much to choose nor many options when you have an established 30+ minute a game starter at that position. People here are being way too unrealistic about who they think will sign up for this.

Cuse!
So a scholarship at Syracuse is worse than nothing? I don't buy that but I am long past understanding 20 year olds.