Babers fired according to Thamel | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Babers fired according to Thamel

IMG_5021.jpeg

GIF by Matthew Henry

Dino was a good guy and I think he did a really good job developing recruits into responsible men, He represented the university well. I wish him good luck in the future.

If we were going to fire him, it needed to be now. There are a lot of good jobs opening and not a lot of good candidates out there.

John is no fool. I am sure he has been talking to his best candidates (more probably their agents) for a long time and has identified the best fits where there is mutual interest.

Would not be surprised if he already has his guy.

Hope we lock up someone good Aand make it public ASAP.

It will be interesting to see who coaches the Wake game. Will Dino be given the opportunity? If so, would he even want to coach it?

Well said. I take no pleasure in this. When Babers was hired, I said, “If this guy can’t win here no one can.”

How many coaches have I seen fired over the years? But the next one will get it right.

Here we go again. I hate this.

He was relatively successful his first three years. One could argue pre Dungey injury 2017 was his 2nd best team. After that it was all his recruited kids and the bottom fell out. He couldn't recruit and there was no evidence prior to his time at SU. Can't over look that next HC.

Given that they're firing the coach again, they didn't make it this time around. You're a homer and I get it. You have your sources at the university and I have mine. You tell people who purely spectate on this board who take you for every word and for that, you get all the thumbs up because this board can't run off a "trusted source" anymore like Dean who took his ball home because people had the audacity to question him. I tell people the reality at hand and it's like throwing chum to sharks with how agitated and upset people get.

As I mentioned in another thread, the university had to be shamed into upgrading their locker rooms. There is a stink around the athletic department and SU as a whole. If they get this right, kudos to them. The last decade of decision making says they don't have that capacity.
Inside sources get run off because people like you are pr1cks to them here.

The next time you agree with anything the university does will be the first time. You literally complain about everything with usually an uniformed opinion.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether this is right or wrong, regardless of how much money he earned in the last eight years, this is depressing.
Always tough when someone loses their job, especially when it’s a good guy.
Dino seems like a nice man, but just might be the worst in game coach in the history of college football.Hundreds of head scratching decisions in his time on the hill.

Tough. Never want to see a man lose his job. Dino by all accounts is a great dude and represented the program well. So I wish him nothing but the best. Just wasn’t getting the job done in year 8. With a cupcake schedule next year, this year was the right year to make a move if we were going too. Plus Dino had lost the fan base, alumni, past players and seems he was starting to lose the locker room a bit. Not a good recipe. Wish him and his family nothing but the best.

Although I think we did need to move on, Dino did some great things for Cuse football we can’t all forget.
-6-0 for the first time in FOREVER
-Possible back to back bowl games this year in FORVER
-First 10 win season in FOREVER
-Had us ranked multiple years and all the way up to 12
-Put multiple players in the pros (some high end pros too
-Had multiple sellouts which hadn’t happened in awhile
-Can’t forget that Clemson win at home in 2017, that’s a memorable Dome win and will be FOREVER

The timing is right to move on. Dino has always represented the Program well. He understood the allure of the Syracuse program and the tradition of Syracuse. Was always a stand up guy here at Cuse. Although I think the move to fire him is the right call. I’ll tip my cap to coaches Babers, he’ll always be welcomed back to Cuse in my book, 8 years is a lifetime in college football speak so he’ll always be apart of the Syracuse football family. May not have been the ending we’d like. But hope nothing but success for Dino and his family.

Great post. And I agree, it isn't something to celebrate, but the results are what they are.

I actually expected Dino to be let go after BC. But I think this timing makes a lot of sense.

First of all, there are a lot of interesting candidates out there. And pulling the trigger now enables us to get a jump on identifying / locking in the replacement before other teams get going.

Second, you have the possibility of going to a bowl game. What if we didn't fire Dino, and we win next week? Then what do you do? Wouldn't make sense to fire him at that point, before the bowl -- so would you get stuck waiting for 3-4 more weeks? That puts you behind the 8-ball.

And what if you win against Wake, and somehow win the bowl to get to 7 wins? Do you fire him then? I mean, it would be justified, but I think there would have to at least be conversations about not letting him go.

Which is why you remove that possibility from being a factor by pulling the trigger now.

Very disappointed that this season went south.

Well said. I take no pleasure in this. When Babers was hired, I said, “If this guy can’t win here no one can.”

How many coaches have I seen fired over the years? But the next one will get it right.

Here we go again. I hate this.
so, so true. sad but true.

I loved the hire at the time and I appreciate how Dino represented the University. Unfortunately for him, production matters. I pray that we do not hire Al Golden or someone with ties to SU, just because. We need the best coach and staff we are willing to afford. The ACC is not that hard to win, compared to the SEC/B16+)

Dino is a great guy, there are a lot of great guys in the world. But business is business.

I know Syracuse is a tough spot to win in football.
I know Syracuse doesn't have the financial backing other programs have
I know NOT being in the Big 10/SEC hurts
I know Syracuse is a stepping stone program for when a head coach does well here, they will jump ASAP to a bigger job

With all of that said you sit home on a Saturday and flip around the TV dial you see a lot of programs, A LOT...with far less means than Syracuse has that...

-Has better talent
-Is better coached
-Have multiple capable quarterbacks on the roster
-Play a fun and exciting brand of football
-Don't make as many mental mistakes or commit as many penalties
-Has the school and fan base EXCITED every week to root for their team

While it may be "tough" to win at Syracuse, it is NOT impossible.

Syracuse football has been passed by almost every other P5 school and many non-P5 schools as we sit in November 2023. No rational SU fan is asking for a National Championship...but can we have 7 wins or so and an exciting brand of football?

I don't need SU's next head coach to be here for 10+ years and build us into a powerhouse. That's never going to happen here. If in 4-5 years he can build us into a middle-of-the-pack ACC team and respectable, then if he wants to leave so be it.

There are a plethora of great candidates out there. Firing Dino this week lets us get a jump on interviewing them and hopefully us getting our "A" choice. Not our "C" or "D" choice.

Did we have a former D1 HC on the sidelines when we let SS and Grob coach to the end? With Rocky it seems too easy to give him the interim title and coach out the last game and maybe a bowl with less drama than letting Dino coach out

I feel like I did after Coach P was fired, both good men, and at the time it appeared that they needed to go, although in retrospect Coach P's firing was not necessarily a smart move.
I felt much worse about coach P, & still do. I hope we make a good choice this time around. We have made 1 good choice since canning P.

Thankfully it was accurate, can say bow the VaTech performance was the catalyst and BC was the final nail. Decision was made then
I heard same about Va tech. Was surprised they held off but the Thamels of the world seemed to know things then. Then I heard conflicting things after. JW keeps things tight and close to the vest

hard to finish out the season if you have been fired so how would he coach this weekend?

Heard JW didnt go to Hawaii either . Better get this next hire right and do it quickly

Dino was a good guy and I think he did a really good job developing recruits into responsible men, He represented the university well. I wish him good luck in the future.

If we were going to fire him, it needed to be now. There are a lot of good jobs opening and not a lot of good candidates out there.

John is no fool. I am sure he has been talking to his best candidates (more probably their agents) for a long time and has identified the best fits where there is mutual interest.

Would not be surprised if he already has his guy.

Hope we lock up someone good Aand make it public ASAP.

It will be interesting to see who coaches the Wake game. Will Dino be given the opportunity? If so, would he even want to coach it?
I hope it’s Rocky as interim, he wins, and then the new HC gets the extra practices to get to know his new team and coach the bowl game.

Nice guy and the expectations were a lot higher than the end results. We really need someone who can bring Syracuse back to the glory days with speed, talent and an ability to connect to the football alumni to help stuff those NLI bags.
I'd settle for some of those football alumni sending their kids to SU.

Things are so stale, we had to do it. Our two P5 wins are against 3-8 teams. Might get a 3rd against a 4-7 team.

When you weigh some of these terrible losses against maybe backing into a bowl game against an otherwise completely soft schedule, I think he had to do it now.

Too much invested in Lally and the Dome, we have to take football seriously.

In the end, I'm just thankful we beat Pitt AND, in doing so, collected the money for the buyout.

The challenge for the next HC…who is the QB? Man, Sellers as a back up would have been nice this year!

hard to finish out the season if you have been fired so how would he coach this weekend?

Heard JW didnt go to Hawaii either . Better get this next hire right and do it quickly

Last 2 coaches finished out the string. Dino likey will as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom