Back in the day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Back in the day

1586619003847.png

If you look closely at the caption, this is a picture of the SU weight room in the early 2000s under Coach P.

Pictured back to front: Troy Nunes, Pat Woodcock, Chad Elliott, Tim Lane...

There were inevitably at least a few students, usually frosh, sitting cross-legged on the floor and weeping as they tried to construct a Plan B, or C or D, after getting shut out of their choices.
I think I was one of them.

I vaguely remember an upperclassman bending over to give me some sage advice:

‘Life is harsh. Get used to it kid.’

Perhaps it was you.

I was at SU from 1975-79 and the upper running track was already gone. I remember registrations. My first week on campus was a nightmare trying to register. After my first semester, you tried to pre-register as much as possible.
I was a freshman in 1972 and I don't remember an elevated track either.

Anyone remember (the student association?) publication in the early/mid 70's that clued you in on various courses? Whether the teacher was interesting, how he/she graded. Kind of a popularity rating. I used it.

I also remember a couple of students being told that they couldn't register because they owed money from the previous semester. I thought that was a little harsh ...especially since the students were from out of state. Left them hanging.

There were inevitably at least a few students, usually frosh, sitting cross-legged on the floor and weeping as they tried to construct a Plan B, or C or D, after getting shut out of their choices.
I spent a lot of time on that floor! Fortunately, my HS (Nottingham) prepared me, somewhat so I never actually cried :). We had a similar, crazy system for elective 1/4 courses. Got used to juggling but on a smaller scale.

Here is a drawing on what the Pope Baum Plan, which was developed in 1928, called for. It features the assembly hall you are referencing. The links I have seen set the capacity at 6000. Interesting to read about.

I don’t think it works. I normally like buildings of this style, but I think this looks awkward at this location, dominates the campus, doesn’t look like it belongs and the northern entrance to the campus in front of it just doesn’t work for me.

View attachment 179540\
Aerial perspective rendering of Pope and Baum's campus plan, showing the proposed auditorium building attached to Hendricks Chapel, and introducing the idea of a new axis extending northward across the Lawn into the residential portion of University Hill.

Exactly, nice find.

This was by far the best campus master plan in my opinion, shame they couldn't carry more of it out. The integration between campus and the neighborhood to the north was...interesting. Doesn't respect the topography like today's layout does.

I am old enough to remember when registration was in Archbold Gym. It was a zoo and a rite of passage kind of thing for new students. If you could survive waiting in line to register for choice 1, then choice 2, choice 3, etc, over and over, until you had your schedule filled out, you could do anything.

This is what it looked like. All you SU students who matriculated after this, consider yourselves blessed.

View attachment 179514

Where was Lou when you needed him?

1586655789137.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors