Barker of troy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Barker of troy

So how much do you factor in the following:
First year starter
Awful offensive line. Nobody on D-1 has been sacked more than Tommy.
No running game. This is essential to a competent passing game. You usually don't do one without the other.
Playing hurt.
You think that your top 6 or 7 QB's in the ACC with all of those same factors would complete 65% of his passes, for 1,535 yards, and have 12 TD's to 5 picks?

Dungey turned out ok right? Lets look at his first year as a starter:
He played in 8 games.
59% comp
1,298 yards passing
11 Td's 5 picks.

Tommy has played in 2 less games, and has surpassed all of those numbers.

"But that was a Scott Shaefer offense"

In Eric's second year playing in Dino's offense, just like this is Tommy's second year playing in this offense:

In 9 games he completed 59% of his passes, for 2495 yards, 14 TD 9 picks. Tommy will finish with a higher completion percentage, probably only a couple hundred yards short, throw more TD's, and probably less picks.

Keep in mind, that Eric's passing numbers were aided by a more competent running game which if you understand football, you know how important that is for the passing game.

This team is averaging 3.1 ypc, and only 119 yards per game.
Erics freshman year the team ran for 163 yards per game and a 4.4 yard average.

In Erics second year playing in Babers system, the team ran for 161 yards per game and a 4 yard average.

Fix the line in pass protection, and run blocking, and you'll see Tommy flourish. I guarantee it.
A lot of those running yards were from Eric.

A lot of those running yards were from Eric.
doesn't matter where they come from, as long as they're there. It's not going to come from Tommy. The only way it happens, is if the line comes together, and improves mightily.

doesn't matter where they come from, as long as they're there. It's not going to come from Tommy. The only way it happens, is if the line comes together, and improves mightily.
I think the staff has to come up with some new schemes because I don't see the line getting all that much better. Tommy could get better and that would help, I think he looked like he was figuring things out last week.

I think the staff has to come up with some new schemes because I don't see the line getting all that much better. Tommy could get better and that would help, I think he looked like he was figuring things out last week.
I agree. We need to start running motion, jet, counters, and whams. Anything to keep all eyes from one player. We need to start running a lot of bunch routes cause they are huge in Nfl and it would get our quickest guys on slowest lb. we need to take shots down the field. If I have one on one with Harris or Jackson or even Nykeim I would throw the ball to where they can only get it and it’s not out of bounds. Oh and as I beat this into the ground we need HOT READS when we see blitzes coming. What offense doesn’t have them nowadays or completely fails to use them except us. I have been saying this since last year.

It’s amazing I am the one who is nuts? Tommy looked good against god awful competition that’s a fact. He looked lost against Maryland (who is Dumpster Juice) and Clemson facts, he struggled the whole first half against NC state fact. Now if you take your orange colored glasses off and look at what other ACC qbs have done you can’t possibly say that Tommy is in the top 5 or 6. Further more you can’t honestly say you would rather have him at this point then the upper half of the leagues QBs. It’s not that I have some hatred for the kid I don’t, and maybe he turns it around but saying it’s the offensive line only is ridiculous.

He pulled our asses out of the fire TWICE last year with great performances in difficult conditions. He has proven that he has what it takes. What he needs is for everyone else to do their damn job so he has a real chance at doing his. Your (and others like you) inability to frame this discussion with the variables we have this year is maddening. I have a suspicion that with a very good offensive line, he would be considered top 3 in the ACC for sure.

When you lose, look so shaky vs the blitz, and toss weird INT in the biggest prime time game - the narrative takes over and makes it hard to see the good stuff. He is absolutely a young QB trying to figure it out behind a rough OL... but his numbers despite all that are crazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom