Barker of troy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Barker of troy

yes
Let me just say I don’t hate the kid, and I don’t know that the transfer portal would produce better, BUT if you are being honest with yourself, thus far how many ACC qbs has he outplayed? Maybe 3? I don’t think you need unique grad transfer to challenge him thus far.

Let me just say I don’t hate the kid, and I don’t know that the transfer portal would produce better, BUT if you are being honest with yourself, thus far how many ACC qbs has he outplayed? Maybe 3? I don’t think you need unique grad transfer to challenge him thus far.

how many ACC QBs have an Oline as hideous as Tommy does? maybe none? (not even FSU or Miami)

how many ACC QBs have an Oline as hideous as Tommy does? maybe none? (not even FSU or Miami)
I don’t like hammering a college kid over a football game, and the offensive line has been horrible, but that does not tell even close to the whole story. Even with our bad offensive line you can’t honestly say there isn’t at least 7 other Acc qbs you wouldn’t take over Tommy at this point in time. Actually 7 is low balling it.

I don’t like hammering a college kid over a football game, and the offensive line has been horrible, but that does not tell even close to the whole story. Even with our bad offensive line you can’t honestly say there isn’t at least 7 other Acc qbs you wouldn’t take over Tommy at this point in time. Actually 7 is low balling it.

actually i can't even find 5. Lawrence, Perkins, Howell, Newman

you don’t feel like Harris and Cunningham have played better and would help this offense more this year then Tommy???

Anyway back to the original point if you can say you are a middle of the pack QB, you don’t need some unreal talent to come in and compete from the transfer portal.

#3 in completion %
#3 in total yards
#6 in yards per attempt
#3 in total TD's
#14 in INT
#4 in yards per game

This quarterback would be perfect in our system. They run the spread. He’s accurate. Has a strong arm and is super quick. We need to find a qb like this. Need to hit the portal. Maybe a grad transfer like this will become available
You know who would be better? Tommy D with a competent offensive line. He has put up good numbers despite the fact that he appears to be playing hurt to the point that it affects velocity, the line is a sieve, it's his first year starting, and there is zero running game to keep defenses honest. I think if Tommy had a clean pocket to stand tall in, set his feet, and deliver a well timed strike, vs. a defense that has stacked the box to stuff our run, you would see how special he is.

Last edited:
You know who would be better? Tommy D with a competent offensive line. He has put up good numbers despite the fact that the line is a sieve, it's his first year starting, and there is zero running game to keep defenses honest. I think if Tommy had a clean pocket to stand tall in, set his feet, and deliver a well timed strike, vs. a defense that has stacked the box to stuff our run, you would see how special he is.

please, stop with the logical and intelligent posts, this is no place for that ;)

#3 in completion %
#3 in total yards
#6 in yards per attempt
#3 in total TD's
#14 in INT
#4 in yards per game
“But but but stats don’t matter”

With all due respect, you’re nuts.

With all due respect, you’re nuts.
It’s amazing I am the one who is nuts? Tommy looked good against god awful competition that’s a fact. He looked lost against Maryland (who is Dumpster Juice) and Clemson facts, he struggled the whole first half against NC state fact. Now if you take your orange colored glasses off and look at what other ACC qbs have done you can’t possibly say that Tommy is in the top 5 or 6. Further more you can’t honestly say you would rather have him at this point then the upper half of the leagues QBs. It’s not that I have some hatred for the kid I don’t, and maybe he turns it around but saying it’s the offensive line only is ridiculous.

He is a great dual threat QB. We can't get or build o-linemen, the hardest commodity to acquire, so they meed an interim period where you run that kind of offense. If you start winning enough, then you might be able to land some real o-line talent.
BC recruits and gets very good O-linemen year after year, why can't we???

It’s amazing I am the one who is nuts? Tommy looked good against god awful competition that’s a fact. He looked lost against Maryland (who is Dumpster Juice) and Clemson facts, he struggled the whole first half against NC state fact. Now if you take your orange colored glasses off and look at what other ACC qbs have done you can’t possibly say that Tommy is in the top 5 or 6. Further more you can’t honestly say you would rather have him at this point then the upper half of the leagues QBs. It’s not that I have some hatred for the kid I don’t, and maybe he turns it around but saying it’s the offensive line only is ridiculous.
So how much do you factor in the following:
First year starter
Awful offensive line. Nobody on D-1 has been sacked more than Tommy.
No running game. This is essential to a competent passing game. You usually don't do one without the other.
Playing hurt.
You think that your top 6 or 7 QB's in the ACC with all of those same factors would complete 65% of his passes, for 1,535 yards, and have 12 TD's to 5 picks?

Dungey turned out ok right? Lets look at his first year as a starter:
He played in 8 games.
59% comp
1,298 yards passing
11 Td's 5 picks.

Tommy has played in 2 less games, and has surpassed all of those numbers.

"But that was a Scott Shaefer offense"

In Eric's second year playing in Dino's offense, just like this is Tommy's second year playing in this offense:

In 9 games he completed 59% of his passes, for 2495 yards, 14 TD 9 picks. Tommy will finish with a higher completion percentage, probably only a couple hundred yards short, throw more TD's, and probably less picks.

Keep in mind, that Eric's passing numbers were aided by a more competent running game which if you understand football, you know how important that is for the passing game.

This team is averaging 3.1 ypc, and only 119 yards per game.
Erics freshman year the team ran for 163 yards per game and a 4.4 yard average.

In Erics second year playing in Babers system, the team ran for 161 yards per game and a 4 yard average.

Fix the line in pass protection, and run blocking, and you'll see Tommy flourish. I guarantee it.

BC recruits and gets very good O-linemen year after year, why can't we???
It takes time to build those 3 stars into ACC lineman, like 4 or 5 years. BC stuck with Steve long enough to let his lineman development program take hold. It will take anther couple of years before Dino's first crop ripens into upperclassmen who are fully developed. It should continue to improve after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom