Barton interested in Cuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Barton interested in Cuse

Remember unlike the others on the team, The good thing is BJ is 17.5 yrs. old at this point and will not be 18 until December. The others are 1 to 4 yrs. older than he is and may have hit there ceiling in height/weight, mainly the upperclassmen.

I like it...great upside. Sounds like you've instilled a great work ethic in BJ.

My posting of BJ is simply informative for the Orange Family who may only get bits and pieces of his past season and progress. Of course, I am very excited for my son and his opportunity to play at the CUSE. That's what he wanted and that's what he earned on his abilities. I'm not playing he is. He will be ready to challenge for a spot on the floor next season. I believe that if he continues to work hard as he has starting the second day after winning the CHIP, he will be able to get meaningful minutes and contribute as a Frosh. As a former player, I know what it takes for him to be the best player that he can be. There is no one in the world that is harder on him from a constructive criticism point than me. What don't kill ya only makes you stronger. At this time, BJ is 6'7.5 and 186pds. He continues to lift everyday with football team adding muscle and conduct daily hoops workouts in all phases of the game. Trust me your gonna like the way he looks when you finally see him on the campus. The coaches will make the decisions on who plays, redshirts, etc. based on basketball talent and team needs. We're never scared and always working to be better. Go through and check his brief history and you will see why the coaching staff and others are excited about BJ coming to the CUSE. He was highly recruited by ACC, BE, B10 and other conferences based on what they scouted. Allow me to introduce myself: Mr. and Mrs. OG Bobby Johnson newest SU family members...View attachment 3398

OGBJ20, many of us appreciate the posts you've made since BJ committed, helping us track both his progress and how his senior season unfolded. Anyone who reads the basketball recruiting forum knows that you've been both enthusiastic and critical at times of the stuff he has to work on--not just some homer that thinks their kid walks on water.

Quick question for you about the highlighted section above. Now, we've all seen the stuff about how SU was BJ's favorite dating back to when he was a kid. But just out of curiosity, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what were the other schools that were actively recruiting him the hardest?

I like it...great upside. Sounds like you've instilled a great work ethic in BJ.
Thanks, I always tell him that nothing will be given to him as he has to work hard to earn and keep his spot as well as to keep improving on all aspects of the game. I believe he will be ready for all of the constructive criticisms, yelling, cussing and fussing that he will get from the coaches starting this summer. PS, I will keep the FB tailgate party in mind.

His athletic ability and versatility has allowed him to play the top of the zone in the 2-3 as well as on the point of the press along with playing the wing. He was able to defend multiple positions because of his lateral quickness.

Honestly I'm concerned with him at the 3 defensively. The slides in the zone won't be an issue but defensive rebounding maybe, when a shot goes up on the opposite side of the zone BJ would most likely have to box out a center for the rebound. Right now he is the lightest guy competing at the 3, but at the 2 he can be a very good rebounder because he can use his length and jumping ability to come in from the top of the zone and get boards and start the break. Think about how many boards MCW was about to get from the top of the zone, if MCW had to bang with the big boys there is no way he would have been able to rebound the way he did.

While he is training hard at this point increasing his strength and skills, he is only going to enhance his strength and skill set when he gets there working with the coaches and fitness trainers. He is looking forward to getting there in July. Looking into the SU crystal Ball SUball. At this rate of progress, BJ could be approximately 6'8 and 195-200. He has gained 15pds of muscle in the last 1 1/2 months.
He is obviously a hard worker, from the sounds of all these kids, they are going to be hard to keep off the floor. Bobby, any thoughts on the possiblity of Barton coming to SU?

OGBJ20, many of us appreciate the posts you've made since BJ committed, helping us track both his progress and how his senior season unfolded. Anyone who reads the basketball recruiting forum knows that you've been both enthusiastic and critical at times of the stuff he has to work on--not just some homer that thinks their kid walks on water.

Quick question for you about the highlighted section above. Now, we've all seen the stuff about how SU was BJ's favorite dating back to when he was a kid. But just out of curiosity, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what were the other schools that were actively recruiting him the hardest?
All of the schools recruiting BJ seemed to think that he was a lock to staying home in the Big 5, so here goes. ACC-Virginia Tech, Miami, Clemson, Wake Forrest, BC/ BE-Nova, Pitt, Rutgers, Temple, Providence, Seton Hall, U Conn, G-Town/ B10-Iowa, Penn State/ A-10-St.Joes, LaSalle, VCU, Richmond, Xavier, UMass, Rhode Island, Duquesne, etc./ Our recruiting process of BJ was intriguing but was planned to sign before the season so he could concentrate on the season without the distractions of being recruited. So it was a short and quick process from favorite choice to location, visits etc. So when BJ narrowed his choices in the summer/fall a lot of those teams stopped pursuing BJ early and before they could put on the full court press (exception the local schools). The has been a success at this time.

Nope, not Bobby.
But, as for me, I just might be that homer that thinks he can walk on water. :)
1951844037_1357148077.jpg

He is obviously a hard worker, from the sounds of all these kids, they are going to be hard to keep off the floor. Bobby, any thoughts on the possiblity of Barton coming to SU?
I think if the coaches believe that a move like that would help the success of the team at the point position then lets have it. He will obviously have to learn our system just like the others coming in. The difference is that Barton has only one year to contribute to what level is unknown and also what is his expectations are as well. It is hit or miss in this situation. I think with the versatility of the team it could help us being successful as long as the players understand their needs and roles. Chemistry is important. After all, we are trying to win a NC(s). As for BJ, I don't think that this move would effect him because of his versatility and ability to be a basketball player and not a situational player.

His athletic ability and versatility has allowed him to play the top of the zone in the 2-3 as well as on the point of the press along with playing the wing. He was able to defend multiple positions because of his lateral quickness.

Wow that is awesome to hear!! Not to many 6'7 guys in high school can guard the point on D especially against a press. If his offense becomes really good by his sophmore/jr year I would be surprised to have him for four years ;) .

Is Scoop the man down there?
Yes he is but he has a long line of old heads that he looks up too from SP who inspired him. I tell you one thing he does have the respect of his peers as I witnessed them afraid to guard him in a playground ruff house game. He was in the 7th grade then, I was watching and wondered why no one would go near him when he had the ball. So I asked them why there was no one guarding him and as a group of about 6-7players stated, "That's Scoop"! I said what in hell the is a Scoop? So playing with the youngins I decided to guard him and I could tell that he was going to be good. The rest is history!!

Yes he is but he has a long line of old heads that he looks up too from SP who inspired him. I tell you one thing he does have the respect of his peers as I witnessed them afraid to guard him in a playground ruff house game. He was in the 7th grade then, I was watching and wandered why no one would go near him when he had the ball. So I asked them why there was no one guarding him and as a group of about 6-7players stated, "That's Scoop"! I said what in hell the is a Scoop? So playing with the youngins I decided to guard him and I could tell that he was going to be good. The rest is history!!
That is what it is all about. Look up to the legends and dream of joining them. Work your butt off, and if you are lucky enough to be among them, pass along the lessons they taught you to the next generation(s).

Yes he is but he has a long line of old heads that he looks up too from SP who inspired him. I tell you one thing he does have the respect of his peers as I witnessed them afraid to guard him in a playground ruff house game. He was in the 7th grade then, I was watching and wandered why no one would go near him when he had the ball. So I asked them why there was no one guarding him and as a group of about 6-7players stated, "That's Scoop"! I said what in hell the is a Scoop? So playing with the youngins I decided to guard him and I could tell that he was going to be good. The rest is history!!
Any Dion stories? We are batting close to a 1000% with Philly guys...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Any Dion stories? We are batting close to a 1000% with Philly guys...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
No Dion Stories.

He's come a long way from making his first shot @ 2yrs. old.View attachment 3404
Ha, classic! My son had one of these in recent years. When he was probably 2 or 3, I taught him to say "from downtown" as I would take and sometimes make ridiculous heaves from down the hallway, other bedrooms with the door open to the living room where the hoop is, etc.

But as for my son, he couldn't yet shoot it, so he would just power dunk and yell out "From DownTown"!
Not exactly from downtown. :D

Ha, classic! My son had one of these in recent years. When he was probably 2 or 3, I taught him to say "from downtown" as I would take and sometimes make ridiculous heaves from down the hallway, other bedrooms with the door open to the living room where the hoop is, etc.

But as for my son, he couldn't yet shoot it, so he would just power dunk and yell out "From DownTown"!
Not exactly from downtown. :D
It was fun watching them be creative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom