Battle and OB | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Battle and OB

thanks . i bookmarked the site . i had to crunch by calculator.

Never understood why he did that. Bitter old man attitude, which literally hurts everyone. He should have recognized they were going regardless, and been upset behind closed doors. The higher they went the better for the program. Here's the thing, it doesn't matter that he was right, and usually is. Not sure he has ever understood having a filter. You can say the media is annoying and biased, but you can also play the game for your own benefit. Being an antagonist is not the best way to be successful when your success is based on recruiting. Certain coaches like Cal embraced this, and have benefitted from it.

I can't believe I'm using Cal to agree with you, but you're 100% right. I remember laughing as Cal made an appearance at the draft, pimping himself, and after all his other players got picked, he threw a quick plug in for Briscoe(who everyone...Cal included) knew was not getting selected.

JB wants to do this, but privately tell the kids what he really thinks, then I'm all for it. If the players ask him for advice and then still decides to go, it doesn't hurt to publicly support the kid anyway, as long as you told him your thoughts privately.

Never understood why he did that. Bitter old man attitude, which literally hurts everyone. He should have recognized they were going regardless, and been upset behind closed doors. The higher they went the better for the program. Here's the thing, it doesn't matter that he was right, and usually is. Not sure he has ever understood having a filter. You can say the media is annoying and biased, but you can also play the game for your own benefit. Being an antagonist is not the best way to be successful when your success is based on recruiting. Certain coaches like Cal embraced this, and have benefitted from it.

JB is old, and old school. As with most of the elder, adapting to change is extremely difficult and a struggle. I think JB struggled with the incredible wisdom he's attained through the years and his deep knowledge of the game, players, their skill sets, talent level, etc. His extensive knowledge and expertise in evaluating where someone is at in that moment, is where maybe he has used his assessment and whether or not he felt they were ready to play and make a contribution, or play any significant role of any kind the next year (after they left). His mindset likely may have been if you can't dominate in college, or even achieve college AA status, how the hell can you go off the following year and be relevant in the NBA. He's not wrong in that capacity, because none of our guys that left early really play a significant role for any team, except maybe Waiter's before being injured this year. Although, JB I believe, stated he never had a player more ready (at least physically) to leave early than him.

The NBA drafts guys (after the lottery picks) based upon the pure unknown or potential and JB probably wasn't looking at the same thing, but from more of a productivity and non watered down standpoint. Again, his wisdom and extensive knowledge being in conflict of today's climate of guys going (regardless how late in the first round) because of the easy coin/low hanging fruit proceeds of potential vs. actual production. JB being antagonistic is likely a result, again, from his extensive knowledge of the game, and, again, along the lines of thinking in the now vs. down the road. And, right now, these guys aren't ready to play today and be productive. I guess, no different than how he typically views his bench players that come in and generally only get minutes of action when the game's outcome isn't in doubt.

Maybe JB's rigidness over the past few years til now can be attributed to his apparent laziness (for lack of a better word) on the recruiting trail (as some have mentioned here) knowing that he hadn't worked as hard filling the roster, etc. and if guys go prematurely, there's no one waiting in the wings (without a significant drop off) to take that spot. Maybe, with Hop out of the picture, and JB getting another 5 years as he wanted, has revitalized him along this front (as others have alluded to) and we'll see an uptick in recruiting talent as it appears so for next season.

Calipari has embraced this to date as he knows, next year he'll just have another "platoon" of Mickey D's and top prep players for replacement. That's not the case with SU, even if our recruiting continues to improve, we don't get that type caliber of recruits as UK does with Calipari. Regardless, it does appear JB has moved off his rigid position, taking on a new mindset (at least publicly) moving forward.

Rotation:
G’s - Howard, Carey, Battle
’s - Bazley, Brissett, Marek
C - Chukwu, Sidibe

Pushing for minutes and ready to step in whenever needed: Hughes and Moyer.

Redshirt: Boeheim and Washington.

I can dream right?
Replace battle with Hughes and that's hopefully next year's lineup. Legit 8 deep.

jb has incredible wisdom of how the game used to be played. and an inflexibility to adapt to the new.

jb has incredible wisdom of how the game used to be played. and an inflexibility to adapt to the new.
giphy.gif

Really curious to hear about the feedback he gets on his jumper at the combine. Staying in school another year might not be the worst thing. Its worked out ok for Tyler Cavanaugh and Andrew White.
Brogdon too. Mikal Bridges. Lots of others.

So the college game only started changing in the past few years? The game has always been changing and JB has always adapted. He’s proven his ability over 42 years to adapt to the changes. Otherwise he wouldn’t still be here. He’s said it as much himself. You have keep learning new things and new approaches and growing, otherwise you won’t be able to succeed.

In B/R new NBA Draft Big Board, Battle is ranked at 48 out of 50, OB not listed. Interesting to see how much if any these rankings change at the end of the regular season

To be fair, he is shooting 37.7% on 3s. What's his upside if he learns how to finish 2s next season? Mid-1st next year? If an NBA team wants to gamble, taking him in the early 2nd this season and spend a year teaching him how to finish in traffic, then they get a mid-first rounder, a little earlier, for the price & contract of a 2nd rounder. Most of those 2nd round picks don't pan out anyway, so no real loss if he never makes it out of the G-league.
He can't dribble and he isn't a Grant type athlete. Quick second jump but not explosive. He has no NBA skill set yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom