Battle & Brissett Stock Watch | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Battle & Brissett Stock Watch

So Brissett's summer league chance is a step below the '2-way' contracts to play in NBA/G-League?

Oshae basically left school to play for "free" in summer league with not even a G_league deal?

yikes.

Maybe he was warned that his playing time wouldn't be as gauranteed as it has been with a crowded frontcourt this upcoming season? or maybe he just really wanted out?

whatever the case, it is a brave new world when a significant syracuse player is ready jump ship after 2 years for basically nothing...

So Brissett's summer league chance is a step below the '2-way' contracts to play in NBA/G-League?

Oshae basically left school to play for "free" in summer league with not even a G_league deal?

yikes.

Maybe he was warned that his playing time wouldn't be as gauranteed as it has been with a crowded frontcourt this upcoming season? or maybe he just really wanted out?

whatever the case, it is a brave new world when a significant syracuse player is ready jump ship after 2 years for basically nothing...

He is betting on himself and his future. How can you not understand that?

i'd say tyus battle was one of the most focused and intense players we've had here.
sometimes to a fault. didn't like a lot of the jawing at the refs but really admired the way he would put the team on his back and his will to win. (maybe could have used more of that 1st half as well). oshae brissett we only scratched the surface of i believe. tremendous talent who perhaps deferred leadership to others and never really exploded like i'd hoped. never the alpha dog he kind of disappeared and as stated above tried perhaps too much to become a bomber rather than a banger inside.
would have loved to seen him back for one more season wearing #44 as option 1.
really enjoyed watching them both on the hill and will always be a big fan in the future.

Last edited:
Exactly. If brisset could have displayed NBA skill levels of dribbling and shooting JB would have let him do it.

The problem was that brisset wanted to spend time doing things he's not good at and JB wanted him to spend time doing things he is good at.

Nice post. His numbers have always told the story. One of the most overrated players by the fanbase in the history of the program. Never would have started on very many Cuse teams at all. And certainly would have been recruited over. Just like he was.

Battle plays his first summer league game today at 5pm on nba tv.

Richardson plays again tonight at 9pm on nba tv also.

Brissett plays tomorrow at 730pm on espnu.

The lack of (current) NBA interest in these players:
1: Makes our record the last 2 years more understandable, especially for casual or uninformed fans, and;
2: Underscores JB's greatness as a coach.
3. Underscores how important recruiting is.

He is betting on himself and his future. How can you not understand that?
all bets don't have the same odds.

the standard bet even in the '1 and Done' era where players are leaving earlier and more often...has been...to leave early with some kind of guarantee...usually for a first round spot...rarely will a player leave early for a second round slot...

this takes that to whole new level of long-shot...that's all i'm saying...

the calculus on these situations is nebulous...but the basic idea has always been if you have a sure chance of being a first-rounder...good chance the player is gone...a sure chance of 2nd rounder is probably 60-40 to return and try to increase stock and be a 1st rounder, depending on the specifics of the situation...

leaving early and going undrafted...that's a new frontier. how many times has a starter left to go undrafted from SU ...has a sophomore starter ever left SU to go undrafted. SU had 2 starters do that this year...kinda crazy...

its cool he wants to "bet on himself". i get it.

but its like betting your house on a 100-1 shot...(being generous with the odds)...

add in the Bazley to his couch move instead of playing for SU in NCAA and it is clear that players are valuing playing college basketball at an all-time low.

to me, it shows, especially the bazley and brissett moves...a supreme lack of grit. a supreme lack of perspective on hard work and determination. when the going gets tough they just bounce...to me it reveals that these guys are convinced they absolutely will not getting better by staying as an SU player...pretty bad sign imo...the sad thing is they are probably right.

battle is unique...I kinda get it...for whatever reason, he hit a cieling and had a low shot of improving...makes sense to give others a shot, kinda...still not the traditional move for a junior key player to bounce and go undrafted.

Battle plays his first summer league game today at 5pm on nba tv.

Richardson plays again tonight at 9pm on nba tv also.

Brissett plays tomorrow at 730pm on espnu.

Tyus, along with several other players didn’t get in. Means he’ll play next game (unless he’s hurt).

I know your post was tongue and cheek to make a (frequent) point, but the two are not comparable. Brisset honored his commitment and did his best for the team, imperfect as it might have been. He decided that this is his time, so we wish him the best in his future. Bazely OTOH spent most of his recruitment ducking commitments ... including signing a NLI at SU and then posing at a HS all-star game as a college recruit while he was arranging to pick up a bag of cash. I'm over it, but you keep bringing it up and making lame excuses for a bunch of lies and deceptions.

Fortunately for him, he got drafted. He's a talented player and would have been amazing at SU. But his shenanigans probably cost him several (at least) draft places and millions of dollars.

Here's wishing Bazely good luck and hoping that you don't keep making excuses for the way he treated SU.

Cool. Good talk.

yikes.

Since you guys are hating, I am know making the choice to hate on your lack of knowledge of summer league contracts / two way contracts / and G-League contracts.

There are THREE 2 way contracts for each NBA Team / and their affiliate. These have not been handed out as of yet. Brissett does not have one because NBA teams generally does not grant them now. They are handed out during training camp / exhibition.

75% of the G League Team is not on two way contracts, and many sports are open for rookies to get into the league.

Players that have never been in the G-League go to the summer league in hopes of either getting invited to an NBA training camp (and getting one of the 2 ways), or hooking up with a G-League. There are probably over 100 open spots in the G-League right now.

The majority of the players that get invited to summer league will be able to find a spot in the G-League the next season if they want it.

Now based on what I have seen from Brissett he would be a G-League benchwarmer, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Tyus, along with several other players didn’t get in. Means he’ll play next game (unless he’s hurt).

Also means that, in all likelihood, he doesn’t figure prominently in their plans.

The HATERADE is palpable throughout this thread.
Perspective is a beautiful thing- something to consider when some of you frustrated, envious wannabes & neverwas’, contemplate the venom directed at young men, who’re simply living out their dreams.
It’s particularly jarring to consider that often its our own, ahem, “fans”... who seem most willing, & almost eager, to denigrate these kids’ chances.
Call me a homer, I plead guilty, with pride. But, I’ve never fully understood the self-loathing which seems prevalent in our fanbase. JMHO

Last edited:
Also means that, in all likelihood, he doesn’t figure prominently in their plans.

I don’t know. Their 2nd round pick nowell didn’t play either.

Oshae had 5 pts and 5 rebs tonight. But he only shot 1-8 in 22 mins.

I hope the best for him, but the two minutes I watched was eerily familiar. Strong move from the top of the key, driving down the lane, jumping sky high and....missing the dunk.

Oshae had 5 pts and 5 rebs tonight. But he only shot 1-8 in 22 mins.
Call me a hater all you want but I'm not gonna miss his shooting. I dont blame him for trying to get paid but as a Syracuse fan I hated his shooting, and almost all my friends and people i talked to agree.
I hope the best for him, but the two minutes I watched was eerily familiar. Strong move from the top of the key, driving down the lane, jumping sky high and...missing the dunk.
He doesn’t have a prayer of making the Clips roster. They just cut Thornwell and Wallace and still have a glut of SFs. Robinson and Mann are getting minutes at PG, which tells you what the team is looking for.

He’ll need to play a lot better to make an impression with other teams. Hope it works out for him. He did get a fair amount of minutes, but that might be due to Robinson’s injury. (And someone else could get those minutes next game.)

Undrafted free agents rarely figure prominently in a team's plans during summer league.

People need to stop misinterpreting sitting a summer league game though. Teams sit guys and rotate who's sitting all the time. It's not a big deal.

I must be a hater because I think Tyus Battle is never gonna be a NBA player. He will make money but it will not be in the NBA for the most part. I hope I'm wrong. I've met the kid. Incredibly nice kid. I just dont see it

Watching Brisset right now. He's just spotting up in the corner and hoping to get a pass. Super uninvolved in the offense currently. To be fair, that's most of his role probably in the offense. Be a big 3-D wing. But the best ones (Danny Green) do other stuff to impact on offense--setting screens, backdoor cuts, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom