Battle was not invited to the combine...How about Oshae? | Syracusefan.com

Battle was not invited to the combine...How about Oshae?

CUSEMODE

Walk On
No word on whether Oshae was invited. If not, he is a lock to come back I would assume.

Yea just saw that...Oshae maybe a better chance to get invited since he hasn't been there yet.with Tyus it just maybe the execs wanting new bodies in there and not “retreads”

If that is the reason why Tyus wasn't invited by the execs, wouldn't that be a disadvantage for Oshae to go to the Combine this year since he is most likely only going to be evaluated and not to stay in the draft?

If that is the reason why Tyus wasn't invited by the execs, wouldn't that be a disadvantage for Oshae to go to the Combine this year since he is most likely only going to be evaluated and not to stay in the draft?

Who knows with these nba guys lol

Tyus was looked at last year and regressed on the court this past season. Both are contributing factors in not getting an invite. They already know what he is and nothing appeared to have changed, based on his play.

If Oshae goes to the combine and comes back to school, they'll invite him back to the combine if he shows improvement on the court. He'd basically be betting on himself to get better, which most players would probably do.

Understandable - he got evaluated last year, and everybody knows who he is and what he can do already.

If Battle regressed to the degree he isn’t a top 100 NBA draft prospect a portion of this blame goes on the player development of this staff.
Now this staff didn’t Terrence Morris this kid but our offense hurt his NBA draft stock as the draft is all about hiding your weaknesses and being an upside pick.

Understandable - he got evaluated last year, and everybody knows who he is and what he can do already.
Isn't there a limited number of invites? That could be an additional reason. And if he's going to the g-league eval, league exec's will get a look see at him anyways.

If Battle regressed to the degree he isn’t a top 100 NBA draft prospect a portion of this blame goes on the player development of this staff.
Now this staff didn’t Terrence Morris this kid but our offense hurt his NBA draft stock as the draft is all about hiding your weaknesses and being an upside pick.
Did he regress? I saw improvement in getting his teammates involved with his passing, better ball handling, which I'm guessing he was told to improve from last years evals. Maybe he hit his ceiling? I don't think it's necessarily on the staff. The league can figure out if you can play, no matter what your college O looked like. He'll still get his chance to prove it one way or the other.

Did he regress? I saw improvement in getting his teammates involved with his passing, better ball handling, which I'm guessing he was told to improve from last years evals. Maybe he hit his ceiling? I don't think it's necessarily on the staff. The league can figure out if you can play, no matter what your college O looked like. He'll still get his chance to prove it one way or the other.
He was a second round pick last year. If he isn’t getting to combine this year it puts that in doubt.
I hope Tyus gets drafted.
Our offense does hurt these players stock though. They are taking tough shots which hurts percentages.

Tyus will not be forgotten for the all shots he made for us.
Hopefully he makes it and a lot of good players get drafted in the second round.
It’s just not wrong to say the player development hurt him.

You should always leave early if you are a fringe player. Less exposure - more often than not - is more, in finding a professional starting point. I also know I'm in the minority here,but leaving early often gives you an earlier entry into a better developmental pipeline. Players can develop faster outside the college system.

There are plenty of nits to be picked with player development -- I'm with you, it doesn't feel like it's been a strength of ours for a while now. But I think Battle is one of those guys that is easy to misjudge b/c he looks for all the world like an NBA player. Zero body fat, good spring around the basket, pretty solid skill set. Just seems like he's almost ready-made NBA guy who is going to dominate.

But the shooting never came around (or hasn't yet) and, more importantly, he has always has been a little straight-lineish (that's a word, right?). The first step is ok, not great, but there's no shiftiness. If he spots a crack in the defense he can fly to the hoop and finish. But he rarely beat his man off the dribble or created space with his quickness -- it was more his strength that created those open 15-footers.

We all know the NBA loves shooters right now, so that's the biggest flaw but if you look at guys who do damage inside the 3-point line in the NBA, they all have some shiftiness and/or some quickness to their games. They can finish in kind of crazy ways in the lane -- McCollum, DeRozan, Khawi ... There's a wiggle to their games we never saw from Battle (or very rarely saw).

He was a second round pick last year. If he isn’t getting to combine this year it puts that in doubt.
I hope Tyus gets drafted.
Our offense does hurt these players stock though. They are taking tough shots which hurts percentages.
Him being a 2nd round pick last year and whatever he is this year (possibly undrafted) doesn't necessarily have to do with him regressing, how many more players got dumped into this years pool? I just don't agree that scouts, etc. can't see past why a player struggled because of offense and lower shooting % or whatever. When you go in for evals, and what they see over a summer working against other prospects and current players, will say if you can shoot or not.

Tyus will have a nice 10-12 year pro career in probably a high-level European league, and then I could totally see him going on to coaching or maybe even being an in-studio analyst with his personality.

You should always leave early if you are a fringe player. Less exposure - more often than not - is more, in finding a professional starting point. I also know I'm in the minority here,but leaving early often gives you an earlier entry into a better developmental pipeline. Players can develop faster outside the college system.

Not sure I totally agree -- at least in the case of a kid that's maybe going to get a call in the mid-to-late second round. I get what you're saying, but if you're actually fringy there are two things that are exceptionally important, IMO.

1.) You probably have to at least account for the fact that you may not end up with a 10-year NBA career and therefore your money is going to come from Europe and your college degree. Battle walks out of here with a degree (or at least very close to one) and still can go play in europe, which is where he was likely to end up anyway.

2.) If you're fringy, the other thing you need is a really refined skill set of one sort or another. A kid like Brogdan, for example, is having success as a really well-rounded, mature basketball player. If you're an elite athlete like Jerami Grant or MCW, then have it. The NBA will be a little more patient with you. But if not, you better walk through the doors of the arena with a polished set of skills that allows you to contribute when you're on the floor. Otherwise you're not getting much of a chance.

To be clear, if you're a kid that wants to be in the nba and you want to leave at the first whiff, go for it. I also agree that in a case like Battle's, there is a chance an extra year does little or nothing for you. But I"m simply saying there's path to a prolonged NBA career that is aided by a few years of college ball.

Everyone does not get an invite to the combine. The talent pool is a lot richer than it was last season and with the NCAA allowing talent to declare and come back without signing to an agent, more kids are going to take away spots from those who may have gotten a look otherwise. It's not as indictment on Tyus or Oshae's game if they don't get invited.

Exactly why kids have no choice but to leave early when they see their name on the draft boards, can’t fault them , but Hope not total negative for him, would hope JB supports him however possible , he has spoken in past about getting the kids their evaluations (with / coordinated JB)

Maybe he got a heads up and was told G League camp was next step in process for him bc he was at camp LY, do a lot of players go more than 1x during their 4-5 years at school

JB is in the inner circle primarily bc of USA basketball and Coach K , has nothing to do with his wins losses positive or negative, just the good old coaches club,

just hope Tyus does well in general, deserves it, a fine young man, on and off the court, will go down as one of the most important recruits for JB and the history of the program (bc of all of the uncertainty and sanctions) , when all said and done where would we have been without Tyus Battle?????
the last 3 seasons, ... 62 wins and 43 losses ...

Interesting looking at his stats past 3 seasons , better than I expected. Tyus Battle College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

This is really going to help us next time we are in a recruiting battle with oh say Michigan... Battle made the switch to us, I wonder if he had a do over whether he would have stayed at Michigan. In hindsight, given the quality of players Michigan has gotten drafted recently, I think Battle made the wrong choice to come to Syracuse. People can feel free to disagree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom