BB: It has to be said | Syracusefan.com

BB: It has to be said

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoppyHart

All American
This has gotta be very uncomfortable and really wearing on JAB. The game just looks too fast for Buddy at this moment. He doesn't look like a high major player. Perhaps down the road, but he's more of a low to mid-major guy right now in my opinion. He's not deserving of that 8 minutes of continuous run in the first half today, now that there are 3 other guards in the rotation. His defense at the top looked slow, he can't break anyone down off the dribble, and he's rushing his shots. I realize one was thisclose to dropping.

But no one I can recall has earned 15+ minutes of play right off the bat while going 3-29 overall and 2-19 from 3, when that is your primary/sole calling card and especially when you don't have 4 or 5 stars next to your recruiting profile.

Yes, I'm sure I'll get killed for this.

I agree that Buddy has been a huge disappointment so far. I doubt he will see much playing time when Howard gets back into shape. I was hoping he'd be an instant offense type of guy, coming off the bench and hitting 3s like layups. Maybe he's pressing. Or maybe he just isn't that good.

I agree that Buddy has been a huge disappointment so far. I doubt he will see much playing time when Howard gets back into shape. I was hoping he'd be an instant offense type of guy, coming off the bench and hitting 3s like layups. Maybe he's pressing. Or maybe he just isn't that good.

I never expected anything this year. Down the road, we’ll see. He will start hitting 3’s consistently eventually, I’m confident of that. He’ll adjust to the speed of the game, get stronger, etc.

He played a lot early due to the injuries in the backcourt. His playing time will likely shrink considerably going forward this season (as will Carey's) now that Frank Howard has returned. I would expect him to settle in as the ninth man on this team and see spot minutes, with quite a few DNPs mixed in. He obviously hasn't shot well so far, but he certainly has the ability to do so at this level. His time will come, but it probably won't be this season.

Gotta think that Andy made it. Buddy has a high chance. Like others said, not gonna be a contributor this year. Will only play in non conference games/foul trouble/injuries.

I agree with the the comments above. Buddy got a real rich bunch of chances primarily due to the 3 PGs all out at the same time. Shots didn't fall, he looks a bit over matched at this time and can use some bench time watching, assuming he is not a redshirt. The one concern I have and it kind of continued tonight, I think Washington is a better player than 2 -3 minutes in mop up time. He had built up to a reasonable backup last year before he got hurt. I understand he is still rebuilding but I think he is at least equal to Buddy playing time. He can handle the ball, distribute and play defense.

Andy was a lot quicker than him too, IMO.
Are you comparing first year Andy to buddy? Cause you got a good memory...but buddy is still learning, even though he should know the zone and all the movements.
I think buddy can be a player like Andy down the road, probably not now, maybe even not next year, but having a guy like him I can see potential.

I bet you also think you can beat him one on one in a game to 11, with 1s and 2s, am I correct that you think that BJORN!?!?!
I’m not a basketball player.

He is an 18-year-old freshman. He played lots of minutes in the early games because of all the backcourt injuries. It was never expected he would play much this year.

He was offered by Gonzaga (that team that beat Duke tonight) and was being recruited by other serious programs (including Duke). JB was not recruiting him to come here because he did not want to put that kind of pressure on him ... but the assistant coaches loved his game ... and convinced JB to offer him. And Buddy had grown up loving SU basketball... so he wanted to come here.

Full disclosure: I know Buddy well, and I like him a lot. He is an exceptionally nice young man .. in spite of growing up in a gold fish bowl as the son of the most famous parents in Central NY. And I think you all should look at him as any other 18-year-old freshman ... and not single him out for abuse because of his parentage.

Last edited:
Was his prep year his senior year, or a post-grad year?

Regardless, i think he will be fine. He's getting a lot of minutes because of the early injuries to Frank and Carey. The game's a tad fast, and he's trying to do too much. He'll settle in and his role will become evident.

Was his prep year his senior year, or a post-grad year?

Regardless, i think he will be fine. He's getting a lot of minutes because of the early injuries to Frank and Carey. The game's a tad fast, and he's trying to do too much. He'll settle in and his role will become evident.

It was his senior year.

you know he'll get more scrutiny. you knew that before he committed. coaches son.

I never expected anything this year. Down the road, we’ll see. He will start hitting 3’s consistently eventually, I’m confident of that. He’ll adjust to the speed of the game, get stronger, etc.
This is a tough room. A few weeks ago, some were comparing Buddy's shooting stroke to Klay Thompson's, and now some people want to run the kid out of town.

Some people here need to chill and let him develop, and for a certain poster there is criticism and bashing, not a hard line to distinguish.
Family’s and players read this board, and a lot of other people read this board too.

He will progress down the line, a couple minutes here and there in a 15 point lead is good exp for him and will help him get more comfortable. Not everyone is gonna come in and hit the ground running.

Some people here need to chill and let him develop, and for a certain poster there is criticism and bashing, not a hard line to distinguish.
Family’s and players read this board, and a lot of other people read this board too.

He will progress down the line, a couple minutes here and there in a 15 point lead is good exp for him and will help him get more comfortable. Not everyone is gonna come in and hit the ground running.

Players read it? Can’t imagine too many people that age are in message boards. Message boards are before their time.

Are you comparing first year Andy to buddy? Cause you got a good memory...but buddy is still learning, even though he should know the zone and all the movements.
I think buddy can be a player like Andy down the road, probably not now, maybe even not next year, but having a guy like him I can see potential.

I’m talking sheer quickness, footspeed. Even early on with Andy. Early on with Cooney, too. Not about production. I’m not giving up on Buddy at all but I think it is fair to say that he is having trouble shaking loose and getting any separation movement-wise against any teams so far. I think he will have to be schemed open and make the open shots if/when he gets them.

I’m talking sheer quickness, footspeed. Even early on with Andy. Early on with Cooney, too. Not about production. I’m not giving up on Buddy at all but I think it is fair to say that he is having trouble shaking loose and getting any separation movement-wise against any teams so far. I think he will have to be schemed open and make the open shots if/when he gets them.

Agreed. At this point he’s gotta be a zone buster.

Players read it? Can’t imagine too many people that age are in message boards. Message boards are before their time.

I made a post a few years ago about some info I got about a lax player that made it to the player in a hour maybe. And it was early in the morning. Whether that player himself read it or not. This place gets its fair share of views and the word of mouth can travel fast.

I also got a phone call explaining that I can’t do what I did.
Even the parent got involved in that certain thread.

Last edited:
so i guess if you're writing a first term report card to the parents the phrase is ...

"not every kid is going to hit the ground running"
that will ease all fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online