BB: It has to be said | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

BB: It has to be said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope he makes it, obvs, but the speed issue is clearly evident.

And when he gets the ball, defenders see it and collapse on him immediately, rightfully thinking they might force a turnover as he struggles with the basics of handling the rock and passing.

Right. That is why, of the guys who have played in all 5 games, he is actually leading the team in assists per 40 mins...

The above is, of course, an absurd observation given that the entire sample size consists of 5 games, 3 of which are against vastly inferior competition.

But that sure doesn't stop posters from using that same sample size to not only determine how he will fare this year but also map out his entire career.

You would think that, after all the years of watching players mature and develop, posters would think twice about being the Wizard of Oz of freshmen, or of the team as a whole, in November, because you can end up looking really, really, really, really stooooooopid.

He!!, 75% of this board wanted to run Frank Howard off campus for his first two years on the hill. How did that turn out?

Right. That is why, of the guys who have played in all 5 games, he is actually leading the team in assists per 40 mins...

The above is, of course, an absurd observation given that the entire sample size consists of 5 games, 3 of which are against vastly inferior competition.

But that sure doesn't stop posters from using that same sample size to not only determine how he will fare this year but also map out his entire career.

You would think that, after all the years of watching players mature and develop, posters would think twice about being the Wizard of Oz of freshmen, or of the team as a whole, in November, because you can end up looking really, really, really, really stooooooopid.

He!!, 75% of this board wanted to run Frank Howard off campus for his first two years on the hill. How did that turn out?

Agreed on Buddy.

The Frank anger was mostly from off court stuff, not his on court struggles. Glad that’s all behind and he’s seemingly matured into a solid leader for the team.

Hope I am wrong but I fear next year we'll be having the same conversations about Joe Girard and his transition to big time college basketball. I expect an occasional good game from Buddy where he get's some good looks and knocks down his shots, but overall I expect him to be inconsistent. Hopefully by the end of the season he is starting to contribute in a positive way off the bench but he is clearly behind 3 other guards right now so his opportunities may be limited. Lots of teams, especially mid level teams, thrive with guys who are not great athletes but are phenomenal shooters. Look at what the Colgate shooters did against SU just this week.
You’re not wrong. It’s the nature of the beast, unfortunately.
And honestly there’s nothing wrong with that at all except for the requisite declarative statements that “(fill in the blank) is too slow, a mid-major talent, can’t play, etc etc.”.
Two years from now, folks will convieniently forget about these takes as said player(s) contribute to a successful team. Rinse and repeat.

Honestly, I wasn't even expecting him to play this year and I was hoping he would redshirt for several reasons...

1. Would give him some time to add some muscle and get stronger
2. Work with G-Mac all season on his stroke
2. Allow him time to become more acclimated to the faster pace of play
3. Would ensure he's here for 5 years, which gives us Boeheim for at least 5 years

Just saying.

Agreed on Buddy.

The Frank anger was mostly from off court stuff, not his on court struggles. Glad that’s all behind and he’s seemingly matured into a solid leader for the team.

I disagree with this. Had he been producing on the court and had the team been winning, the off-the-court stuff would have been noise and relegated to the background.

His on-court struggles merely compounded the issue and made it easier for posters to make him a target...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom