BB: It has to be said | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BB: It has to be said

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i guess if you're writing a first term report card to the parents the phrase is ...

"not every kid is going to hit the ground running"
that will ease all fears.

You seem like you’re loving it?

I’m talking sheer quickness, footspeed. Even early on with Andy. Early on with Cooney, too. Not about production. I’m not giving up on Buddy at all but I think it is fair to say that he is having trouble shaking loose and getting any separation movement-wise against any teams so far. I think he will have to be schemed open and make the open shots if/when he gets them.

I agree he has a ways to go to get to Andy and even like you said Cooney. But the only way he will get it is in practice and in games. And the more in game exp he gets will help in all areas of him game.
And I do agree it will have to be plays drawn up for him esp.

I dont see any reason Buddy cant develop into at least a role player over time, like that 2 guard I think it was Michigan(?) had way back in their glory days(memory isnt my strong suit often). I dont know that he will pull an Andy, but like CTO said, he is an 18 year old freshman. Give him a bit before you pound the gavel.

As such, I think it's decent that JB is evaluating him now. With the return of Frank and comferece play, of course things will change. I think maybe the experience now will help him in the long run. It isnt like an NFL team starting a rookie QB that is going to get him injured and destroy his confidence. On the contrary, it will help him learn what he needs to work on. If Buddy was costing us games I could see why folks would be miffed, but can anyone say that is the case? JB will adjust accordingly as time progresses. And for the record, I'd like to see what Washington has in his tank more, but overall I have learned to semi-trust JB will make the right decisions more often than not. Too early to say Buddy is a "bust", as they say in the NFL.

Guys like Rautins and Southerland did nothing their first years. Nichols played but shot poorly. Give it time. He’s not ready.
The difference is rautins had very good defensive instincts, better lateral quickness and a nice wingspan for his height... those are things you either have or you don’t.

The difference is rautins had very good defensive instincts, better lateral quickness, high IQ, and a nice wingspan for his height... those are things you either have or you don’t.

I don’t remember thinking he was anything special defensively or all that quick or even all that smart of a player early on though.

He was a non factor as a freshman. A role player shooter off the bench as a soph. Hurt for a year. Came on strong at the end of his 4th year Junior season. And then had the great 5th year senior year.

I'm really not so worried about him. I think he just needs to get a few shots to go down, and that'll build the mentality back. We saw him doing fantastic things in the exhibition. It's tougher to execute those same plays against better competition, but we saw his head and potential for once the game slows down for him mentally.

He is supposed to be better than his brother, and his brother looked pretty good against us. Small sample size, but i'm still optimistic. It just might not happen this year. But, heck, Marek didn't even try to shoot until March, and now we all want him to shoot more. We know Buddy already has that skill. Battle couldn't shoot the first few games either, and he's got game-earned confidence.

Footspeed? The Raymond kid from Colgate didn't have footspeed.

Yeah, I think he'll offer a bit at times this year - he'll have some games where he hits a few quick threes. Those nights will be fun as we'll get threads wondering why he doesn't play more!

"We need someone that can shoot to open up lanes for Tyus!!!!! C'mon, JB!!!!"

Overall, he seems slow, and not quite ready for prime-time. That being said, I've seen many high D1 type players that seemed slow, and wished to GOD we had that guy on our team when we had a pretty weak shooting squad. He'll be a nice piece to have moving forward - the contributions this year will be fairly small though IMO (and seemingly everyone else's...and that's fine).

I’m talking sheer quickness, footspeed. Even early on with Andy. Early on with Cooney, too. Not about production. I’m not giving up on Buddy at all but I think it is fair to say that he is having trouble shaking loose and getting any separation movement-wise against any teams so far. I think he will have to be schemed open and make the open shots if/when he gets them.

I saw Buddy and JG play a lot in the 2017 EYBL and "schemed open" is a good description. City Rocks ran all kinds of simple screens plays to get them both looks. Those kinds of plays are just not going to work in college basketball. He will be a solid player but it's going to take some time.

I saw Buddy and JG play a lot in the 2017 EYBL and "schemed open" is a good description. City Rocks ran all kinds of simple screens plays to get them both looks. Those kinds of plays are just not going to work in college basketball. He will be a solid player but it's going to take some time.

Gotcha. Interesting. Those “simple screens” might be more than we already do...sigh.

Buddy is going to be fine. He was thrust into a role never intended. He is a hard working kid and a really good shooter. They just aren’t falling for him right now. Im not concerned with his lateral movement. I think some of it is athleticism but a lot is a lack of comfort which will come with time. I always find it amazing how people talk about Andy and it’s like they only remember his 5th year. Him, Arinze and Christmas for some reason get this.

Buddy is fine: he’s played well against elite competition in AAU.

Yeah, there will be an adjustment. He's going to be playing night in and night out against quicker players - older players, and he will adjust as he progresses through his four years. He'll learn to adapt - even if he is slower.

I remember watching Dough McDermott in High School w/ Harrison Barnes (lived in Iowa at the time) and thinking he might be too slow to ever do much in college...not comparing the two (but both are playing for their father), but players learn to adapt and if the handle is good enough, or develops enough to deal with shedding quicker defenders, they can usually figure a way to get open/shots.

BB has a chance to be really good with that shot - but if he wants to be great he has to figure the other stuff out. Worst case scenario is we end up with a sweet shooting slow dude for 2 or 3 years (assuming this year his role is limited).

Yeah, there will be an adjustment. He's going to be playing night in and night out against quicker players - older players, and he will adjust as he progresses through his four years. He'll learn to adapt - even if he is slower.

I remember watching Dough McDermott in High School w/ Harrison Barnes (lived in Iowa at the time) and thinking he might be too slow to ever do much in college...not comparing the two (but both are playing for their father), but players learn to adapt and if the handle is good enough, or develops enough to deal with shedding quicker defenders, they can usually figure a way to get open/shots.

BB has a chance to be really good with that shot - but if he wants to be great he has to figure the other stuff out. Worst case scenario is we end up with a sweet shooting slow dude for 2 or 3 years (assuming this year his role is limited).

Can’t disagree with anything you said. He was never going to be a freshman phenom his first year. I think he’s getting slightly more criticism he than deserves because he’s the coaches son. He will be fine next year.

How many times have we seen a freshman who has a rep as a great shooter come in and struggle out of the gate. So much that I am surprised if it doesn’t happen. Buddy is going to be an excellent contributor to the team over the next four years. Relax a bit.

Buddy has a sweet stroke but is playing slow because he is a Frosh. One thing i have noticed about his shot is that after a few misses he seems to start his stroke lower. When he is on his stroke starts just slightly below his chin level. When he presses it is lower. More below his breast. He would benefit greatly from a RS year.

I'm sure he doesn't have any self questioning going on being the coaches son and all.

He is an 18-year-old freshman. He played lots of minutes in the early games because of all the backcourt injuries. It was never expected he would play much this year.

He was offered by Gonzaga (that team that beat Duke tonight) and was being recruited by other serious programs (including Duke). JB was not recruiting him to come here because he did not want to put that kind of pressure on him ... but the assistant coaches loved his game ... and convinced JB to offer him. And Buddy had grown up loving SU basketball... so he wanted to come here.

Full disclosure: I know Buddy well, and I like him a lot. He is an exceptionally nice young man .. in spite of growing up in a gold fish bowl as the son of the most famous parents in Central NY. And I think you all should look at him as any other 18-year-old freshman ... and not single him out for abuse because of his parentage.
How would everone feel if he had gone to Duke? Give him a chance. I LOVE that he grew up here and wants to be a part of it.

Guys like Rautins and Southerland did nothing their first years. Nichols played but shot poorly. Give it time. He’s not ready.
Pretty sure southerland has a few excellent shooting games in the pre and early season “garbage” games

How would everone feel if he had gone to Duke? Give him a chance. I LOVE that he grew up here and wants to be a part of it.

Is he off limits for constructive criticism? I don’t get why he wouldn’t be treated like every other frosh. He knew what he was getting into coming here. He’s simply not ready to get minutes, is slow footed and his shot is off. All fixable things.

He prob sees 2-5 mpg going forward bc Jim wants to put his best out and he’s 9-10 on depth chart. I think he’s more Janulis than Rautins.

i Don’t see the problem with B.B. getting minutes early on. If, and I said if, he can get his shooting stroke going that would be very helpful during the ACC season.

But if he can’t, he can’t. He’s got to ride the pines this year. He may be able to contribute next year or the year after. There’s no rush, we have other guys this year.

But, if the game really is too fast for him at this level. If the pressure is too great. Then JB will know that and so will Buddy. If any parent would know, JB would. (in my experience parents are the worst judges of their progeny’s athletic ability and assume that poor performance is the coach not understanding how to most effectively use them.)

No father wants to put his son in a position where he will fail. His younger brother is at Cornell. He could have been at SU.

It’s not inconceivable that BB end up at a Mid-Major.

Hope he makes it, obvs, but the speed issue is clearly evident.

And when he gets the ball, defenders see it and collapse on him immediately, rightfully thinking they might force a turnover as he struggles with the basics of handling the rock and passing.

You can't teach speed so hopefully the game will slow down for him... Some kids can't make that jump at D1 level - hope he's not one of them... Will be a hard pill for JB if so...

He's young and has lots of time to develop, so not much of a worry at this point.

Nothing wrong with discussing his performance and development... It will continue, as it should... Coach's son and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom