BC Rivalry | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BC Rivalry

The trouble with our Pitt rivalry is it’s been one-sided. We beat them for ten years straight, then they beat us for ten years straight. You need continual back and forth to secure a rivalry.
That one is a weird one. The two programs are literally polar opposites, when one is up the other is down and vice versa. They've won 16 of 19 but before that we won 16 of 18 with 1 tie.

Pitt, MD, WVU, VPI probably make the most sense. PSU the rivalry was very one sided against us, Rutgers in our favor, and BC is just kinda blah.

Proximity and mutually meaningful games make a rivalry. We sort of have proximity with BC, but it’s not an entirely natural thing since we’re both private schools (with somewhat disparate fanbases) and 5 hours apart. Sadly we’ve had precious few mutually meaningful games over the years.

BC (and Pitt) is a longtime, historical opponent. We’re rivals in the most academic sense, but there is rarely any heat.

Despite losing the series with Penn State, the 90s was probably the best decade for SU rivalries. We had some pretty intense, meaningful games with West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami. But that all evaporated when the Old Big East was raided.

Proximity and mutually meaningful games make a rivalry. We sort of have proximity with BC, but it’s not an entirely natural thing since we’re both private schools (with somewhat disparate fanbases) and 5 hours apart. Sadly we’ve had precious few mutually meaningful games over the years.

BC (and Pitt) is a longtime, historical opponent. We’re rivals in the most academic sense, but there is rarely any heat.

Despite losing the series with Penn State, the 90s was probably the best decade for SU rivalries. We had some pretty intense, meaningful games with West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami. But that all evaporated when the Old Big East was raided.
BC and Syracuse seem to attract similar students too and I know many of my classmates in Boston applied to both schools and held no Ill will towards either school depending on where they ended up. The heat wasn’t there like scooch said.

The intensity of the other 3 was a result of those teams becoming top 10 and being a target for the Orange to emulate (and ultimately beat). Had Syracuse made it to ACC in 2004 when BC was ascending things may have been different w them

BC and Syracuse seem to attract similar students too and I know many of my classmates in Boston applied to both schools and held no Ill will towards either school depending on where they ended up. The heat wasn’t there like scooch said.

The intensity of the other 3 was a result of those teams becoming top 10 and being a target for the Orange to emulate (and ultimately beat). Had Syracuse made it to ACC in 2004 when BC was ascending things may have been different w them
i was turned down by both. and georgetown !

i can't think of any BC football guys i really disliked. other than maybe chris hovan and his clown paint.

Mamula and Boyd in 1994. They both said SU overlooked them in the recruiting process and they were taking the game personally. And they terrorized us on the field that day. And I hated them for it.

Mamula and Boyd in 1994. They both said SU overlooked them in the recruiting process and they were taking the game personally. And they terrorized us on the field that day. And I hated them for it.
I was there. By far the most dominating defensive effort I’ve seen in a college football game. Mason was lucky to not break in half that day

Boyd was from Long Island. Mamula was from Lackawanna. Both NY kids.

Hard to watch us lose with NY kids beating us.

Most satisfying win I’ve seen in person was in 2018 @ BC where we all filled up pretty much a full corner of that stadium. We went in there and whipped their ass pretty much from the start. Got to stick it to all my BC friends at the mods later after the game.

Most satisfying win I’ve seen in person was in 2018 @ BC where we all filled up pretty much a full corner of that stadium. We went in there and whipped their ass pretty much from the start. Got to stick it to all my BC friends at the mods later after the game.
That was the game Eric trucked a secondary player into oblivion

I also think the schedule never helps this game either. I would like if we played BC very early in the season when both teams are still doing well. We have been playing them later in season and it just adds up to one/both teams floundering
Completely agree with you here. I think playing them the week before or after Thanksgiving is a huge factor driving the lack of sizzle since joining the ACC.

I know most traditional college football rivals end their season against each other but I wish we played BC in early-mid October every year.

As others have stated, it would get more casuals interested because both teams will probably still have divisional aspirations and won't likely be a M.A.S.H. unit (as both programs have been in different years by Thanksgiving).

Easy drive/flight, good weather, and I would bet more students from both schools would consider a road trip at that point in the semester.

I want this football rivalry to be hotter than it is. Like Rutgers, we are geographically close and it has regional recruiting ramifications. New York/ Boston rivalries come naturally in other sports. Being our closest ACC opponent, it would be nice to see this rivalry grow in to something more.

The fact is, we simply don't have a real football rival. We can look around and say "hey! that school should be our rival!" but that isn't the way it happens. Rivalries happen organically between two schools and their fanbases that both WANT it to happen. It can't be forced.

None of that applies to SU and any other school in football.

I was there. By far the most dominating defensive effort I’ve seen in a college football game. Mason was lucky to not break in half that day
This guy says, "Remember me?"

1635339328721.png

The fact is, we simply don't have a real football rival. We can look around and say "hey! that school should be our rival!" but that isn't the way it happens. Rivalries happen organically between two schools and their fanbases that both WANT it to happen. It can't be forced.

We don't have THE rival, but it would be nice if we could play our historical rivals more often. They are all easy road trips as well. Below are the teams we have played 10+ times (except Ivies).

ACC Coastal
Miami 23 games
VA Tech 19 games

I hate not playing these two more often.

P5
Penn State 71 games
West Virginia 61 games
Rutgers 41 games
Maryland 37 games
Cincy 13 games
Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska 12 games
Northwestern 11 games
Notre Dame 10 games

We can use the Top 4 plus ND as our P5 rotation. So over a 12 year period we play each of those teams once at home and once away. Why schedule a school like Purdue when you can rotate the Top 4 and still keep it fresh? It would be easy to take those 4 road trips too.

G5
Temple 36 games
Navy 27 games
Army 20 games
UConn 11 games
East Carolina 10 games
USF 10 games

We have 2 G5 openings. Why not rotate the Top 4 as one of those G5 games. So over an 8 year period we play each once at home and once away. Those 4 are easy road trips.

The other G5 game schedule an Ohio MAC school for proximity and recruiting. Rotate Akron (3 games), Bowling Green (2 games), Kent State (3 games), Miami (4 games), Ohio (1 game), Toledo (3 games) so we play each 2x over 12 years. That adds enough variety. None are a far road trip which is nice.

FCS
Colgate 54 games
Holy Cross 27 games

Why not rotate these two along with Fordham (3rd most played non Ivy FCS team at 7 games)? It is an easy trip (cheaper cost to SU) for these teams. If we are playing them 1 in 3 years it keeps it somewhat fresh. It also could generate interest from the away fans in going to the game. Not significant but something.

Playing our historical rivals and limiting travel for both the team and fans seems like a good idea.

We don't have THE rival, but it would be nice if we could play our historical rivals more often. They are all easy road trips as well. Below are the teams we have played 10+ times (except Ivies).

ACC Coastal
Miami 23 games
VA Tech 19 games

I hate not playing these two more often.

P5
Penn State 71 games
West Virginia 61 games
Rutgers 41 games
Maryland 37 games
Cincy 13 games
Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska 12 games
Northwestern 11 games
Notre Dame 10 games

We can use the Top 4 plus ND as our P5 rotation. So over a 12 year period we play each of those teams once at home and once away. Why schedule a school like Purdue when you can rotate the Top 4 and still keep it fresh? It would be easy to take those 4 road trips too.

G5
Temple 36 games
Navy 27 games
Army 20 games
UConn 11 games
East Carolina 10 games
USF 10 games

We have 2 G5 openings. Why not rotate the Top 4 as one of those G5 games. So over an 8 year period we play each once at home and once away. Those 4 are easy road trips.

The other G5 game schedule an Ohio MAC school for proximity and recruiting. Rotate Akron (3 games), Bowling Green (2 games), Kent State (3 games), Miami (4 games), Ohio (1 game), Toledo (3 games) so we play each 2x over 12 years. That adds enough variety. None are a far road trip which is nice.

FCS
Colgate 54 games
Holy Cross 27 games

Why not rotate these two along with Fordham (3rd most played non Ivy FCS team at 7 games)? It is an easy trip (cheaper cost to SU) for these teams. If we are playing them 1 in 3 years it keeps it somewhat fresh. It also could generate interest from the away fans in going to the game. Not significant but something.

Playing our historical rivals and limiting travel for both the team and fans seems like a good idea.

Future schedules using this format:

at UConn, Purdue, Wagner, Notre Dame

Western Michigan, at Purdue, Army, add Colgate

at Army, Ohio, add Holy Cross, West Virginia

Tennessee, UConn, Army, at Notre Dame

New Hampshire, at Army, UConn, Notre Dame

at UConn, add at West Virginia, Bowling Green, Fordham

add Penn State, Navy, Colgate, at Bowling Green

Notre Dame, add Holy Cross, at Navy, at Kent State

add at Penn State, Fordham, Kent State, Temple

and so on...

Maryland 2031 and 2032
Rutgers 2033 and 2035
West Virginia 2036 and 2038

Colgate 2031, 2034, 2037
Holy Cross 2032, 2035, 2038
Fordham 2033, 2036

Temple 2031, 2038
Army 2032, 2033
UConn 2034, 2035
Navy 2036, 2037

Miami 2031, 2032
Toledo 2033, 2034
Akron 2035, 2036
Ohio 2037, 2038

Yep. And for a while every time we started to generate something it would get sidelined. The rivalry with Penn State was really a one-sided affair, but it would have been hot in the 90s had they not ended the series because JoePa was an -ss--le. Then we had good things going with Miami, WVU and VT in the 90s, but Miami/VT were squashed when they left for the ACC. SU-WVU was a nice thing until that got squashed by conference changes too.

The SU/Pitt dynamic is so incredibly weird. Always one side crushing the other for long stretches. That really should be our primary rival... industrial cities, history of football success, long time opponent, etc. But we've almost never played each other where both teams had stakes in the game. It's kind wild really.

This guy says, "Remember me?"

View attachment 209594

Dwight was fantastic but during that BC/Syracuse 1994 game, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE could have stopped Mike Mamula that day. He lived in the back field, he was tackling Mason during handoffs, etc. It was simply out of this world.

Mamula, 6 feet 5 inches, 242 pounds, had 9 tackles, 5 for losses totaling 31 yards, and 2 sacks
Syracuse never passed the BC 47 yard line.

Paul Pasqualoni, the Syracuse coach, said of the Boston College defense: "It has to be one of the top in the country. We were never able to get anything going. Mamula has an outstanding rush up the field. No question he's outstanding."

Mason added: "I couldn't tell who was hitting me. They were coming from everywhere."

Just heard on Packer and Durham that Cuse is BC’s all time most common opponent second only to Holy Cross.

Yep. And for a while every time we started to generate something it would get sidelined. The rivalry with Penn State was really a one-sided affair, but it would have been hot in the 90s had they not ended the series because JoePa was an -ss--le. Then we had good things going with Miami, WVU and VT in the 90s, but Miami/VT were squashed when they left for the ACC. SU-WVU was a nice thing until that got squashed by conference changes too.

The SU/Pitt dynamic is so incredibly weird. Always one side crushing the other for long stretches. That really should be our primary rival... industrial cities, history of football success, long time opponent, etc. But we've almost never played each other where both teams had stakes in the game. It's kind wild really.

Yep, we USED to have rivalries but they are long gone, largely through conference dynamics. We can play teams we used to play but that doesn't mean it is a "rivalry". It is just a game with someone we used to play a lot. Even some teams that we once thought of as rivals didn't think of us the same way. We were just a team that they played (and beat) almost annually.

At the end of the day, we have never had a rivalry ala OSU/UM or UM/MSU or LSU/Bama. Those are rivalries. Maybe in the days of SU-Colgate but that is back in the mists of time.

I agree that Pitt should be a rival but, as you say, the dynamics of an actual rivalry game have not been there. Rivalries can't be artificially created; they have to happen organically and both schools and their fans have to feel the same about the other.

Yep, we USED to have rivalries but they are long gone, largely through conference dynamics. We can play teams we used to play but that doesn't mean it is a "rivalry". It is just a game with someone we used to play a lot. Even some teams that we once thought of as rivals didn't think of us the same way. We were just a team that they played (and beat) almost annually.

At the end of the day, we have never had a rivalry ala OSU/UM or UM/MSU or LSU/Bama. Those are rivalries. Maybe in the days of SU-Colgate but that is back in the mists of time.

I agree that Pitt should be a rival but, as you say, the dynamics of an actual rivalry game have not been there. Rivalries can't be artificially created; they have to happen organically and both schools and their fans have to feel the same about the other.
the rivalry thing was a huge loss in the conference reshuffling. Where we had rivalries (the big east) we lost those in hoops. GTown, Uconn, St Johns. Rivalries built from personalities, high ranking games, etc.

Penn St was def the closest we came b/c Mac/Paterno had something going personality wise to push it higher and farther. Like I said had Coughlin remained at BC to say 1995 and if Mac stayed at Syracuse through the mid 90s we prob could have built it w those colorful guys.

one other thing that would help would be a real trophy game btw us.

I want this football rivalry to be hotter than it is. Like Rutgers, we are geographically close and it has regional recruiting ramifications. New York/ Boston rivalries come naturally in other sports. Being our closest ACC opponent, it would be nice to see this rivalry grow in to something more.
I think to a degree, the BC game is bigger for alums than it is for non-alums. I am not saying it is OU-Texas or ND-USC, but it is a peer school (or used to be!) for Syracuse alumni.
So, it goes a bit deeper on that end, but not so deep either.